User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Jun-16 11:24:07
Print Post

Max Upload Dropping

[link to this post]

My max up used to be over 34000 and its slowly dropped as the cab has filled up but my HH5 Type B just rebooted and its dropped like a brick, thing is the up noise margin was at nearly 10db before the drop

7. Maximum Data Rate: 22140 / 109757
8. Noise Margin: 6.6 / 14.0
9. Line Attenuation: 5.3 / 6.4

As it stands clearly this doesn't effect my actual speeds but one more drop and it will.
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Fri 10-Jun-16 13:46:33
Print Post

Re: Max Upload Dropping

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

Possibly crosstalk.

It's irrelevant anyway.
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Fri 10-Jun-16 15:51:08
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

are you stil getting up to 10-20Mbps upload even though that's the max possible?

BT FTTP Installed June 2016, 74Mbps down, 20Mbps up.
Speedtest Result

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Jun-16 10:49:28
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Possibly crosstalk.

It's irrelevant anyway.

It would have to be the universe's biggest case of crosstalk ever known to man and alien.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Jun-16 10:56:57
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thomaswarne01:
are you stil getting up to 10-20Mbps upload even though that's the max possible?

My speeds are bang on (over wireless http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... ) so its not a problem as such but 22Mbit with a line attenuation of 5db is curious. My main worry is if it happens again it will then impact on my speeds.

However i have received a possible explanation elsewhere which made perfect sense.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jun-16 11:32:52
Print Post

We need the connection speeds down and up as well as the maxima. They cannot be assessed in isolation, as changes of certain DLM settings affect the relationship between them.

When we can see the before and after of both we can often deduce what has happened. Given just the maxima we can't.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 11-Jun-16 11:34:35)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Jun-16 12:07:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alnath:
Possibly crosstalk.

It's irrelevant anyway.

It would have to be the universe's biggest case of crosstalk ever known to man and alien.

I went from 116/31 to 78/22 due to crosstalk, it was much worse up until 2 weeks ago, I was down at 53/21 for a while but seems that might of been a REIN issue or possibly a vacating neighbour may have given my connection a temporary lease of life.

I'm still awaiting the results of the 183 apartments next door to come online though I suspect Virgin Media may be doing 'some sort' of rollout in the building.... I doubt its cable, or atleast coax from the street anyway, maybe a FTTB/P development... maybe nothing at all.

As gelous as I would be I would rather Virgin rolled out in there, might give the 96 port BDUK funded cab a fighting chance against crosstalk.

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
SkyFibre - ComingSoon
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 12-Jun-16 09:52:31
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

That is quite a fluctuation

i think i've only went from

120/40 to 97/29

in just over 3 years

and it hasn't moved from 97/29 for around 6 months i assume my cab is full or nearly full.

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest *Huawei HG635*
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest *Huawei PLK-L01*

Edited by epyon (Sun 12-Jun-16 09:52:58)

Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Jun-16 10:28:32
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
In reply to a post by Alnath:
Possibly crosstalk.

It's irrelevant anyway.

I went from 116/31 to 78/22 due to crosstalk, it was much worse up until 2 weeks ago, I was down at 53/21 for a while but seems that might of been a REIN issue or possibly a vacating neighbour may have given my connection a temporary lease of life.

I'm still awaiting the results of the 183 apartments next door to come online though I suspect Virgin Media may be doing 'some sort' of rollout in the building.... I doubt its cable, or atleast coax from the street anyway, maybe a FTTB/P development... maybe nothing at all.

As gelous as I would be I would rather Virgin rolled out in there, might give the 96 port BDUK funded cab a fighting chance against crosstalk.

Which is great but this was a single drop on the upstream only. On the reboot that caused the drop in max upload the max download actually increased by 5Mbit.

5 years ago my speeds were 135/35 and over that 5 years it had dropped to 103/29, you'd assume that was all down to crosstalk.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Jun-16 11:01:18
Print Post

For the second time, max figures and actual figures are related. With some DLM adjustments of the download they frequently move dramatically in opposite directions on a re-sync. I know you are bothered about the upload, but if that has happened it gives a strong indication of the type of change the DLM has made, or whether it has made no change at all.

That in turn gives a clue to what has happened to the upload. If you know the make of FTTC cabinet that can be useful as well.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 12-Jun-16 11:01:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to