User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TreeHugger
(regular) Wed 22-Jun-16 15:22:07
Print Post

Continual random spates of disconnects

[link to this post]

I have BT Broadband business for my small home office and I suffer randomly occurring disconnects which come in spates and then abate for days or even weeks.

I'm using a Netgear DSL modem on a linux server (acting as a gateway with 2 NICs, one for the internet, one for the LAN).

Quite often within 5 mins the modem will sort the connection out, but sometimes it then happens again 5 mins or an hour later.

I've been too busy to do much more than reboot the modem or drop and reconnect the linux server's DHCP eth0 interface, which is all simple and quick enough, but it's just chronic right now so I figured I'd better do something about it.

I'm paying £35 a month for what I assume is the standard business broadband connection and I figure this is not acceptable.

Sadly my IP is DHCP so I can't use the thinkbroadband monitor, so I'm looking for some other way to put together the stats I need to go and bash BT over the head and get the service I signed up for.

Any advice?

Should I move to BT Infinity / fibre?

Should I double-check my hardware is not giving up the ghost?
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Wed 22-Jun-16 18:55:51
Print Post

Re: Continual random spates of disconnects

[re: TreeHugger] [link to this post]

Should I double-check my hardware is not giving up the ghost?

yes, is it more that 4 years old?

Try a tp-link w9970 in bridge mode, can be used on ADSL and VDSL, you can monitor stats with dslstats

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/dslstats.htm

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17108.0.html

You can run a https://f8lure.mouselike.org/ ping monitor on a hostname.
Standard User TreeHugger
(regular) Wed 22-Jun-16 22:08:58
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Thanks for the input.

The modem is about 4 years old.

But I'm not sure it's a good idea to buy a new modem if I decide to upgrade to fibre, so I figured I'd try DSLstats with the old modem.

Couldn't work out what the telnet login and password are. The modem docs only give the web admin screen password, and it wasn't that.

Also, I'm on DHCP IP addresses so I don't have a hostname.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Wed 22-Jun-16 22:23:38
Print Post

[re: TreeHugger] [link to this post]

I'm not sure it's a good idea to buy a new modem if I decide to upgrade to fibre

Sorry I should have been less technical, the 9970 can also be used on fibre (VDSL) as I mentioned in my first reply.

If you upgrade to fibre Bt business may supply the business hub 5 that can be used in modem mode so maybe don't bother with a new one.

What model is the netgear.

I don't have a hostname

Try https://www.duckdns.org/why.jsp you just need a program/script on a connected device (maybe the linux server)
Standard User TreeHugger
(regular) Thu 23-Jun-16 12:13:37
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

OK, my mistake sorry. I saw you mentioned something that wasn't ADSL and my brain just ignored it rather than actually thinking about it. I must upgrade my brain at some point too.

So if I get the monitor up and running with Duck DNS then will it provide good information about what is going on, despite the fact that the monitoring and collection of data will stop when the connection drops, and then it won't pick up again until everything is fine and dandy again, because the new DHCP IP address change won't be registered with Duck until the script executes?

The modem is a Netgear DM111P. I found a Netgear "telnet enable" script on the netgear opensource website myopenrouter.com but again I was foiled by the login (I think).

I tried the admin / password and the Gearguy / Geardog combinations on telnetenable and it consistently gives a "connect: connection refused" response.

So I guess (and considering that it's old too) a replacement modem as you suggest is the way to go.
  Print Thread

Jump to