User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kpjunk
(newbie) Mon 04-Jul-16 19:17:44
Print Post

How do you install Smart Hub ex HH5 that uses RED WAN cable

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

I started to install the Smart Hub and then realised that there is not a Red WAN Socket which I use on my HH5

In simple terms Downstairs in my study I have the RJ12 cable from my BT Double Socket going to a white open reach modem .

There is then a Cat 5 cable going from the Open reach modem to upstairs - other side of house in my computer room - where the Red WAN Socket on the HH 5 is connected.

I have 3 of the yellow network sockets going off to other network switches etc .

Any suggestions would be gratefully received on how I can overcome this on the Smart Hub ?

Regards

Keith
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 04-Jul-16 19:19:27
Print Post

Re: How do you install Smart Hub ex HH5 that uses RED WAN ca

[re: kpjunk] [link to this post]

Ethernet port 4 doubles as a WAN socket, apparently.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jul-16 19:24:57
Print Post

The official way to do it, is to get rid of the open reach modem. It is an all in one device so a modem is not required. So plug it in where the modem currently sits and figure the Ethernet out (might be some hassle), but you might as well sort it out as all ISPs now have all in one devices.

Edit: BatBoy has confirmed earlier Ethernet port to use. I have no evidence this will work well, some forum users say it does not work with a modem. Try and see?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 04-Jul-16 19:28:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kpjunk
(newbie) Mon 04-Jul-16 20:08:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi both , thanks for the responses.

I have tried all the network sockets with the cat 5 cable from the open reach box but still not working .

Is there anything else I have to do like changing the set up?

Smart hub is just flashing purple - Hub is working but the Broadband cable is not working

Thanks

Keith
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jul-16 21:05:13
Print Post

Yep so my understanding is that port 4 will work only for FTTP customers who have a different setup to you.

The hub was not designed to work with openreach modems.

The only fix I see, is to get rid of the openreach modem and connect the smarthub here. You will then have to figure out a way of wiring up the rest of the network, but as one example you could do the following:

Phone socket - smart hub - ethernet cable which used to go to HH5 - switch - old ethernet connections going elsewhere.

All ISP routers are becoming all in one devices, it is unlikely other ISPs will continue to support the openreach modems.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 04-Jul-16 21:09:51
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Yep so my understanding is that port 4 will work only for FTTP customers who have a different setup to you.
How does the Hub know it's seeing ethernet from FTTP not FTTC?

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Mon 04-Jul-16 21:52:32
Print Post

Maybe it's programmed to recognise the FTTP ONT?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jul-16 22:03:59
Print Post

Sorry I should clarify. My understanding is that there are two variants of the smart hub. Variant one has 4 ethernet ports.

Variant 2 is shipped to FTTP customers and one of the ethernet ports is dedicated to the ONT connection, and will not work with modems. Then 3 ethernet ports.

EDIT: this info came from discussions during trials I was involved with and may not be the case for sure.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 04-Jul-16 22:04:49)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 05-Jul-16 08:33:21
Print Post

BT SmartHub user guides:

For FTTC Smarthub for FTTC Document Version No. EI-FTTC 5.0

For FTTP Smarthub for FTTP Document Version No. EI-FTTP 5.0

The FTTP version has an indicated RED WAN port and the FTTC does not.

There is a good chance at FTTP variant may work on an FTTC connection with an OR modem and also retains the line connection so probably has an internal modem too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 05-Jul-16 09:06:38
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Brilliant. Thanks smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to