User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jphil81
(newbie) Fri 08-Jul-16 19:50:55
Print Post

BT can't offer service when we move

[link to this post]

We have an Infinity service delivering 22Mb/s and it is ok, upload slow though. Out of contract now.

I use it for BT Sport and other streamed tv as we have a poor signal for terrestrial reception.

When I try to move to our new house in a different county, BT can only offer ADSL at 0.5Mb/s to 1.5Mb/s. They admit that I can't use Sport at this speed, but because I can get this slow broadband, they are not obliged to terminate the service without a cancellation charge of £30

I thought I heard some time ago that if they could not offer a workable broadband then they waive the charge. ADSL of this speed is really unacceptable to my mind.

Their answer was that I should take the ADSL service and then they would look at providing a fibre service. Never worked in the past when we complained before fibre arrived here. It took 4 years and millions given to our county council to get the service in the village!

Any thoughts when I call BT again?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jul-16 20:44:36
Print Post

Re: BT can't offer service when we move

[re: jphil81] [link to this post]

ADSL of this speed is really unacceptable to my mind.

Then don't move there ?

Standard User jphil81
(newbie) Fri 08-Jul-16 22:59:50
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Very helpful. Thanks a bunch for stating the very, very obvious. Work for BT DO YOU.

I should have added that I bought the house on the basis of the speed check on the line for the actual house on the BT sIte. It gave the speed as 11Mb/s but they now say that is not possible. I actually saved the web result page but they deny it is now possible.

Edited by jphil81 (Fri 08-Jul-16 23:00:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-16 23:02:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by jphil81:
Very helpful. Thanks a bunch for stating the very, very obvious. Work for BT DO YOU.
lol

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-16 23:05:27
Print Post

What does the DSL checker estimate for your new place? www.dslchecker.bt.com
If there isn't a phone number, use the full address checker not the postcode checker.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jul-16 23:13:46
Print Post

Are you saying that an actual speed test at the new house on the actual line gave 11Mbps? If so, surely that trumps whatever BT may say is possible?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Jul-16 23:14:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by jphil81:
lol
Yeah, I had a little chuckle there too smile

Paul
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sat 09-Jul-16 08:48:32
Print Post

BT dsl checker always gives 1 Mbps quote for my line; but the actual speed is 6 Mbps.

If you have a speed test from the property giving 11 Mbps then the BT checker/estimate is incorrect.

Sometimes speedtest are also incorrect .

Instal broadband.......... if it is not fast enough then install a second/third line.

Ian
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Sat 09-Jul-16 09:53:43
Print Post

They can offer you a service when you move, they are offering you what is available in that area, ADSL
they are estimating low to cover themselves, it may be higher but you will only know this by experiencing the line for yourself,
and yes the obvious answer is DONT MOVE if your not going to be HAPPY with the services in that area,
I would not move mobile networks if I knew they where not good, so why move areas? if your not going to be happy with the utility's?
Don't get snarky with people, you asked for advice, and my advice is the same, if you don't like it DON'T move or move somewhere else where you wont complain.
You wouldn't move there if there was no Mains electric would you?

BT FTTP Installed June 2016, 74Mbps down, 20Mbps up.
Speedtest Result

Edited by thomaswarne01 (Sat 09-Jul-16 09:55:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Jul-16 10:30:33
Print Post

Which exchange is it please?

Have you exchanged contracts on the house?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to