User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Aug-16 21:52:58
Print Post

BT Hub V3 Wifi problems

[link to this post]

A friend has BT internet and has V3 of the BT Hub. Her desktop is Ethernet connected, her iPad and iPhone connect via WiFi.

WiFi drops out regularly, several times a day. I was round there this afternoon. When her wireless devices couldn't connect I logged into the hub from the desktop PC, could see anything wrong, the WiFi claimed to be working. I set the WiFi channels to auto (Smart?) but made no real difference. After trying various things WiFi came back to life. An email this evening says it's gone again.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Could the hub be faulty?

I see problems with BT hubs on here but I'm sure that's a very small proportion of users and - I hope - not representative of the total user base. Is V3 of the hub, clearly old, known to have problems?

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 05-Aug-16 22:00:33
Print Post

Re: BT Hub V3 Wifi problems

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Yes, binned mine when I discovered it was responsible for my slowdowns.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Aug-16 22:12:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Yes, binned mine when I discovered it was responsible for my slowdowns.
LOL, well its ok for some I have a FRITZ!Box 3390 sitting here on my desk, but currently stuck on a HH4 due to BT are still doing tests on our line (4 weeks now it says on the accounts faults section) TBH I think the HH in general are rubbish, but saying that I have only used two HH4 and I am not really impressed with them.

Strangely enough my sisters iPhone keeps loosing Wi-Fi signal as well, but I am thinking its just because its an Apple Device (not a fan of Apple iPhones) strange my Android phone is fine, so I am blaming her phone LOL.

But saying that, her MacBook Pro is fine, bigger antenna maybe?

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnb2008
(regular) Fri 05-Aug-16 22:14:18
Print Post

I used mine for 2 years until a year ago and didn't have any total wifi dropout problem. I stopped using it because it is locked to BT's DNS & I wanted to use a different DNS.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 05-Aug-16 22:15:22
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I split the networks on my HH5 and my iphone (and all other apple devices) connect just fine. It even roams between HH5s when I move around the house, even during a call.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Aug-16 22:22:25
Print Post

[re: johnb2008] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnb2008:
I used mine for 2 years until a year ago and didn't have any total wifi dropout problem. I stopped using it because it is locked to BT's DNS & I wanted to use a different DNS.
Your not locked to BT's DNS if you setup your own DHCP Server where you can sett the IP of the DNS Servers you want to use.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Aug-16 22:24:36
Print Post

I split the networks on my HH5 and my iphone (and all other apple devices) connect just fine. It even roams between HH5s when I move around the house, even during a call.

Well if BT doesn't resolve the line issues soon I am just going to connect my fritzbox to the line downstairs at the front of the house with its Wi-Fi and use the HH4 just for the Wi-Fi upstairs at the back of the house.

Paul
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 05-Aug-16 22:26:53
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Your not locked to BT's DNS if you setup your own DHCP Server where you can sett the IP of the DNS Servers you want to use.
Except when BT intercept your DNS requests - unless you're using DNSCrypt of course
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Aug-16 22:39:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Except when BT intercept your DNS requests - unless you're using DNSCrypt of course
Well as far as I can see BT are not modifying anything.
nslookup www.thinkbroadband.com
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.thinkbroadband.com
Addresses: 2a02:68:1::4

For this example I told my DHCP Server to use googles DNS Server 8.8.8.8 first, normally I use our own DNS Server, then fall back onto Googles 8.8.8.8 then a range of BT's ones.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to