User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User johnnny
(regular) Tue 16-Aug-16 14:36:50
Print Post

Infinity 2 speeds dropped through the floor

[link to this post]

For months we've synced at 69-72Mbps and around 15-17Mbps upload.

For the last few days all we can get is this:

Downstream: 62.6 Mbps
Upstream: 19.53 Mbps

Upstream is weirdly high compared to usual. The Internet can feel strangely laggy at times. Restarts and reboots of the router doesn't help.

Details:

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 09/07/15
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:03:48
6. Data rate: 19999 / 64099
7. Maximum data rate: 23203 / 74412
8. Noise margin: 7.4 / 8.2
9. Line attenuation: 21.4 / 17.3
10. Signal attenuation: 21.4 / 17.3
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Aug-16 14:49:56
Print Post

Re: Infinity 2 speeds dropped through the floor

[re: johnnny] [link to this post]

That looks as if interleaving may have kicked in. It lowers the downstream speed by several Mbps and weirdly increases the maximum rate. Plus adding at least 8ms to the latency.

Have you recently had a new Home Hub or other BT change, or any new/replacement electrical/electronic equipment?

If interleaving is what has happened then the worst thing you can do is repeated restarts/reboots of the router. It can confirm to DLM that it is necessary. If left alone after a while it can often decide to put the line back on fast path.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User johnnny
(regular) Tue 16-Aug-16 15:13:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hmmm... Curiously, I unplugged the actual phone the other day because we just don't use it (we use mobiles). I did this because I was experimenting if our cordless phone signal affected Wi-Fi speeds.

Could this cause our issue?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 16-Aug-16 18:55:12
Print Post

Hardly dropped through the floor. You've lost what some people would be overjoyed to have.
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 16-Aug-16 18:55:44
Print Post

Very unlikely.
Standard User plankton
(regular) Fri 26-Aug-16 16:53:50
Print Post

I'd kill to get the Speeds that you've got!

However..........

I was having loads of problems with my VDSL with HH5. Speed test ping had gone from 11ms to 40ms and the internet kept going away because PPPoE kept dropping and the speed dropped from 14mbps to 8mbps. BT offered zero help. Trawling various forums the fix seem to be to put in a modem. ebay special £5 openreach huwawi modem. took a couple of days to settle down but better ping than I ever had, speed back to normal and stable internet connection. After you've ruled out the obvious - duff extension wiring, local electrical interference etc, might be worth a punt as I can't see that Openreach are going turning out in this life time to fix your calamitous speed drop wink !
Standard User johnnny
(regular) Sat 27-Aug-16 19:28:15
Print Post

[re: plankton] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice. I hopefully have a TP-LINK TD-W9980 on its way from China if it ever turns up. My current theory bearing in mind the line is silent and otherwise perfect is that the router has faulty connections, which is introducing noise. I understand the HomeHubs are cheaply made.
  Print Thread

Jump to