User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User VWGolfman
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Aug-16 17:19:28
Print Post

Infinity install engineer visit questions...

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I wonder if somebody could help me please?

I was thinking of having BT infinity installed at my Parent's address. I live 100 miles away and can't easily be there for the engineer install.

* I don't suppose they do a DIY install option as I'm more than capable?
* If they don't offer a DIY jobby is it possible to arrange a weekend install?
* On the BT website it states that the engineer will want to install a load of software on a computer. There will be no computer available and the service will be used by tablets/phones.= only. Will the guy be able to set it up using his laptop?

Many thanks indeed to anybody who is able to help me with these questions smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-16 18:15:12
Print Post

Re: Infinity install engineer visit questions...

[re: VWGolfman] [link to this post]

Most 'Infinity' installs these days ARE self install. You order and an Openreach engineer connects the line to the correct port. You set up the rest at home on the given date.

If you do go the engineer install route the installer will not want to install any software. The will happily give a demo using their smartphone, or make a wireless connection on one wireless device.

Easy.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 27-Aug-16 18:21:25
Print Post

Have they got broadband now, with a combo modem/router? If they have, an Infinity install just needs them to plug in the new modem/router instead. And wait a few minutes for the light to go whatever the colour is on BT Home Hubs these days. Blue, I think.

Edit: Ah, if they use any wireless connections then those need resetting.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 27-Aug-16 18:23:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 27-Aug-16 18:39:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm not sure exactly what triggers a home visit install nowadays. One thing that usually will is if a line fault is detected on the line test that is carried out when the service or ordered.

Other than that it could be if a conversation has taken place between the customer and a call centre and they've decided the current location of the socket is of no use to their customer.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 27-Aug-16 19:49:56
Print Post

Interested in where on the BT website it says the engineer will install software on your computer.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Aug-16 20:48:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Interested in where on the BT website it says the engineer will install software on your computer.
The OP might of been told this option verbally over the phone.

When I made our order for FTTP on Aug 12th I was told on the phone by BT Fibre to the Home team that where we are ordering FTTP Option 4 (300/20) the engineer could also setup a basic Wired LAN Network if needed along with some other stuff.

I was like thinking yeah right, good luck there LOL, luckily we already have our whole home networked up.

Maybe I was offered this due to Gavin Patterson getting involved? who knows.

Also the OP might be referring to the BT NetProtect Plus software, but then again who wants McAfee installed on their PC.

Paul
Standard User VWGolfman
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Aug-16 23:10:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi all and thank you for your replies.

The engineer installation is described here...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36967...

...and it states.. "The engineer will also help you install the set-up disk on your computer. This disk contains important tools to help you set up your email and any wireless connection, and to find and fix problems."

I'd rather no BT software at all was installed on any computer if it's OK with you Mr. Engineer thank you very much.

The premises already has a filtered ADSL NTE5 faceplate as a master socket - OK I admit some back-ending has been going on wink

Is that socket going to be adequate for FTTC or will Mr. Engineer have to replace it?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 28-Aug-16 00:33:10
Print Post

The heading of your link is "How is BT Infinity installed (engineer installation)?"

That used to be the only way it was installed. The default now is self-install - they send a Home Hub with a dangly filter and a couple of cables or so. With very easy instructions.

Have you/they specifically ordered an engineer install, or just "ordered".

The filtered ADSL NTE5 will work but the latest VDSL2 filters are better. The "back-ending" that worked for ADSLx could very well be far from good for FTTC (VDSL2), which is a far more delicate beastie when it comes to home wiring.

Be prepared to have to alter the wiring if the speeds are bad. Several of us can help, once given a clear description of what has been done.

Importantly, is there any star wiring, and is this now the actual master, or are there two, or is the master remote and the NTE5 in use has had its guts removed so is just a fancy extension socket? How many extensions in total are there and how are they connected to what?

Are ring wires (Terminal 3) connected anywhere?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 28-Aug-16 00:34:46)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Aug-16 09:11:15
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Nope, the CP can order a 'Premium Service Wrap' and have then engineer fit ethernet leads. These will be surface mounted in the the same way they would run a telephone extension. This service is only available on the 330 product I believe.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Aug-16 10:52:22
Print Post

A possible route may be for your parents having VDSL installed as usual; possibly engaging a local computer type, say from a local shop, to ensure that the installation is functioning properly.

Subsequently, you leave an older PC at your parents, with a remote control program such as TeamViewer installed, connected permanently to the installation by Ethernet Cable, with the program running permanently from boot-up.

You could then readily assist your parents in degree at any time, logging in remotely etc.

----

The costs would be significantly less than doing a 200 mile round trip, several times, say 5 gallons of petrol costing about £25; and with SKYPE etc added, giving you greater, immediate contact with your parents, both socially and for technical support
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to