User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SteveC
(member) Thu 08-Sep-16 13:58:20
Print Post

Re: Infinity 2 speed frustrations

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
When was the last time you rebooted the HH5?

Maybe just after 1000 this morning.

Sync download speed remained 18Mbps, upload speed dropped ~200Kbps.

A dodgy Infinity2 connection (~18000/4500mbps) after upgrade from Infinity1
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Sep-16 14:10:27
Print Post

[re: SteveC] [link to this post]

Yes, I deleted the question as I'd missed to said in your OP you had rebooted it 30 mins previousy, but you must have already been replying. My previous post was junk as well - it does look like banding due to instability.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Sep-16 14:33:02
Print Post

So that would suggest there is no star wiring in the loft. There could of course be a bad junction box or something like that but if it is and it is before the BT master then BT should fix it. As RobertoS says looks like banding due to noise somewhere along the line (no pun intended).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SteveC
(member) Thu 08-Sep-16 15:17:36
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
So that would suggest there is no star wiring in the loft. There could of course be a bad junction box or something like that but if it is and it is before the BT master then BT should fix it. As RobertoS says looks like banding due to noise somewhere along the line (no pun intended).

It was the engineer who activated out BT landline in 2006 that said they was star wiring up in the loft, I've not seen it myself, I've only been up there properly maybe three times in total.

If the issue is something to do with the loft, would BT/Openreach be obliged to fix it for free, or would we end up with a bill for something silly like £100+?

I take it technically, I am not supposed to "have a play" with any wiring up in the loft, perhaps say looking for bell to disconnect from terminal 3 (IIRC)?

By road, we are ~1 mile away from the Moorhill exchange. What sort of ballpark speed would we get if everything was close to perfect?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Sep-16 16:02:16
Print Post

Distance from the exchange is irrelevant on FTTC. It is distance from the FTTC cabinet via the phone cabinet that matters.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Sep-16 16:21:23
Print Post

Assuming the wiring in the loft is before the master socket (and you say the engineer removed all extensions so it should be) then there should be no ring wire in the loft. It should just be a connector block if anything.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Sep-16 16:34:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Lofts are dodgy places, a court case may have changed willingness for Openreach staff to go into lofts that are not fully boarded too.

If cabinet is around 1 mile away then 18 to 23 Mbps is what you could expect. The line appears banded and is something the Openreach DLM will do at ANY time, probably just coincidence with the sales deal.

If a line proves stable and low to zero errors the DLM will relent on banding in time, so stop fiddling with reboots etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SteveC
(member) Thu 08-Sep-16 17:33:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Since moving to Infinity last year, complete dropouts have reduced, but they come in waves before usually settling down again.

~15mins ago, that sync from ~1000 this morning was reduced to a whopping ~8KB/sec for a Steam game patch!

So no real choice, had to hard reset the HH5, synced at 18000/4752 now (so slightly higher upload than earlier), download on Steam now coming through at 2.0-2.1MB/sec.

I will try to leave it be now, unless throughput gets dire again!

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Sep-16 17:38:17
Print Post

Sounds like the DLM is doing its job then by banding you to reduce drop outs

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SteveC
(member) Sat 15-Oct-16 08:19:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thought I'd post an update...

Download sync speeds dropped to ~16375kbps for a while, worse than we had on Infinity 1. I used the BT online fault reports and ran a quiet line test earlier this week, where with our Panasonic wireless phone the line was not that quiet. Didn't follow it up, was going to see if I could borrow an oldskool phone from someone and try again.

Then randomly ~30mins ago, we lost connection altogether and now it's come back, at speeds much more like we had back around the swap-over date from Infinity 1 to 2...

6. Data Rate: 4723 / 23304
7. Maximum Data Rate: 4773 / 30239
8. Noise Margin: 6.1 / 6.3
9. Line Attenuation: 39.6 / 24.8

Slight reduction in download noise margin wink

Edited by SteveC (Sat 15-Oct-16 08:19:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to