User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User corsa57
(learned) Mon 19-Sep-16 10:03:44
Print Post

VDSL Multicast

[link to this post]

The following information has just popped up on the BT checker and wonder if someone can fill me in on what VDSL Multicast is and is it any good and what speeds do you get normally with this product.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number on Exchange DORNIE is served by Cabinet 2

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.
Note:

Thank you for your interest.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Sep-16 10:43:37
Print Post

Re: VDSL Multicast

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

It is referring to the fact that those with VDSL availability in the area can subscribe to a provider and get live TV channels e.g. BT Sport using multicast is the provider does a TV service.

It is not a VDSL product you can buy as such

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User corsa57
(learned) Mon 19-Sep-16 11:08:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you MrSaffron for the explanation, I thought it was an upgrade to the Broadband Service i.e. Superfast Fibre or some such thing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cymru123
(regular) Mon 19-Sep-16 11:40:01
Print Post

As MrSaffron has said VDSL Multicast is an additional service available to those already on VDSL lines to allow one-to-many data transmission of IP streaming content such as tv and media.

Snipit from Openreach's factsheets:
Multicast is one-to-many data transmission using the network infrastructure efficiently by sending source data only once, irrespective of the number of end users it needs to go to.
The nodes in the network take care of replicating the data to reach multiple receivers only when necessary, avoiding sending duplicate streams across the network to the NGA handover locations.

However as the BTW broadband service DB is showing that VDSL Multicast is available may be a hint that Cabinet 2 is RFS in regards to offering a FTTC/VDSLx service.

Just checking a property on that cabinet it is showing that Cab 2 on DORNIE exchange is now able to offer a FTTC/VDSLx service. It may be that the BTW database is still updating the records.
Standard User corsa57
(learned) Mon 19-Sep-16 11:46:24
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

Yes cymru123 I think the BT database is updating as the information changes as each day goes by.
Most of the village now can get FTTC, so I will continue to wait and keep checking as I want to upgrade as soon as possible.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 19-Sep-16 11:50:27
Print Post

How far are you from cabinet 2?

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 19-Sep-16 11:50:55)

Standard User corsa57
(learned) Mon 19-Sep-16 11:51:37
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I can throw a stone and hit cabinet 2.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 19-Sep-16 11:54:59
Print Post

Sounds good
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Sep-16 11:59:31
Print Post

Some premises in IV40 8EQ and IV40 8EU appear to be due to get FTTP but the other four postcodes near the exchange and cabinet 2 appear live as does most of cabinet 1 . So if not showing up Private Message me address and can check things.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User corsa57
(learned) Mon 19-Sep-16 12:05:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you MrSaffron have sent private message with details.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to