User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Danger
(regular) Thu 22-Sep-16 22:03:59
Print Post

BT Infinity problems, no customer service

[link to this post]

Hi, I've not been active on these forums for a long time, but I could really do with some advice! I recently moved into a new flat and had BT Infinity Option 1 activated last Monday (12th). The service has been pretty terrible since then. BT said I'd get speeds between 23-30Mbps with a guaranteed minimum of 17Mbps. My HH6 has been syncing at ~20meg down / 5meg up however my speed tests have been consistently reporting ~5mb down / 4meg up and I'm getting ~10% packet loss after pinging google for an hour.

I've been performing all the speed tests whilst connected via ethernet, with the router plugged into the BT master test socket. I'm using both the TBB checker and the BT Wholesale checker, I've also done BT Wholesale test 3 where I've changed the HH's username and connected directly to BT wholesale and it gives the same readings. Most of my readings have been taken in the evening after work, however I've taken some first thing in the morning and other than one this morning where I got 18 down, 5 up they've also been terrible.

This is what the BT availability checker says about my line:

Exchange NEWCASTLE WEST is served by Cabinet 32
VDSL Range A (Clean) 54.3 / 40 / 10.3 / 7.2
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 40 / 20.2 / 8.5 / 4.6

To me it seems like there's obviously something wrong, so I called BT customer services this evening and waited for an hour and twenty minutes to speak to someone. When they finally answered they undertook some kind of diagnostic procedure, told me my line was fine and that I just needed to restart the router and "keep it away from any walls or electrical devices". When I told them I wanted an engineer to come out they just kept repeating the script.

We went round in circles for a bit and eventually I got fed up and told them I wasn't happy and wanted to make a formal complaint. I was told "Yes, the complaint is fine, I'm taking notes", I said that I wanted to make a formal complaint and wanted to know what their procedure was, when they'd investigate and when I'd hear from them (I know... haha). We went around in circles until I asked to speak to his supervisor at which point he cut me off.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I can do next? I feel like I'm stuck with a broadband connection below the guaranteed minimum but there's nothing I can do about it? I'm at a loss as to what I can do.

In case they're of any use my line stats are:
Data rate:
5.07 kbps / 19.99 kbps
Maximum data rate:
5074 / 23695
Noise margin:
6.2 / 5.2
Line attenuation:

<n>ildram DSLSURF500
Speed 1152 kbps / 288 kbps
Attenuation 63 db / 16 db
Noise Margin 9 db / 3 db

Edited by Danger (Thu 22-Sep-16 22:07:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Sep-16 07:52:11
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity problems, no customer service

[re: Danger] [link to this post]

Mmm the words 'guaranteed minimum' are not really true, as no-one guarantees the minimum at all, the only guarantee they could give is if you are not happy leave and go elsewhere.

You say you are using the master socket, do you have telephone extensions - if yes then their wiring can impact the speeds and thus you need to test with the test socket that will disable all the extensions (check that they've stopped working too). It is probable your speeds will improve if you have extensions and you test from the test socket and if that is the case then fitting a VDSL faceplate various options on Amazon should reduce the impact of extensions.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Danger
(regular) Fri 23-Sep-16 08:39:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply MrSafron, there's no internal wiring beyond the master socket and I've had the router connected to the test socket for 4 days now. The drop cable comes directly off the telegraph pole into the flat and then there's about 2-3m of wiring between the small BT box where the cable enters and the master socket.

The flat is also served by virgin media cable so I'd see being able to walk away from the contract as a win if they can't improve things. I can at least roll the broadband dice again! 17Mbps is setting the bar very low for FTTC, especially considering I live bang in the middle of Newcastle. I got 18 from ADSL in my last flat, if they can't get near the 30 they predicted I'll be switching to virgin when the contract is up anyway, if they can't even hit 17 I'd like to switch ASAP!

How would I go about getting them to do this? I'd imagine I'm going to have to suck it up for a while and present evidence of speed tests before they agree to this? Is there any route to get an engineer out / get out of the contract that doesn't involve their call centre? BT say you can report a fault / book an engineer online, however I just went round in circles with some basic automated diagnostic that told me my connection was fine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 23-Sep-16 08:45:56
Print Post

Try a different router. The HH6 is known for problems of this sort.
Standard User Danger
(regular) Fri 23-Sep-16 09:29:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks BatBoy I hadn't thought of that! I don't have another router with a VDSL2 modem in it, I'll seel if someone at work has a spare I can borrow and give it a shot.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Sep-16 09:42:19
Print Post

Yeap HH6 is not setting the world alight in terms of reputation, ideally you want to borrow a VDSL modem/router that supports G.INP and Vectoring - though it can take a few days for the DLM systems to turn on those settings so borrowing might not be that easy.

In terms is this a fault or not, its below the expected range, but not by such a large margin that it could be called a fault, i.e. the estimates are not 100% accurate and over time do take feedback from active lines to improve the data given out.

My line personally would be that BT said guaranteed minimum and you want out as that is not being met. Getting an engineer out if your wiring is optimal is unlikely to help, if your estimate was say 50 to 60 and you were getting 17 Mbps then I'd say it was worth the hassle getting them out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 23-Sep-16 10:10:56
Print Post

Unfortunately Newcastle West Cab 32 is an ECI cab so doesn't offer G.INP or vectoring frown
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Fri 23-Sep-16 12:31:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Yeap HH6 is not setting the world alight in terms of reputation,

Is it worth me opening the one I just got? Asking sincerely. If it's that pants should I stick to my HH5B?

If it's perform as bad as it looks then double uck!

Edited by 23Prince (Fri 23-Sep-16 12:36:13)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Sep-16 13:11:42
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Mileage seems to vary - so if happy with everything now and prefer an easy life then I'd leave alone. If you enjoy tinkering then give it a go.

On HomeHubs one thing that often helps is renaming the 5GHz wifi band to avoid devices flip/flopping constantly between the two frequency bands.

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Fri 23-Sep-16 13:54:25
Print Post

I gave it a go - It's given me IPv6 - not sure what that does - but speed etc is still the same.

I have noticed I can only have 1 password for both bands when they are seperated. And right now nothing can log onto the 2G so I will put them back together again.

Seems to be fine apart from that here.

After running your readyness test I read up on how to , and changed my DNS to Google's IPv6 as it was taking a few seconds for pages to load.

Weird how BT have given me this but not this DNS to go with it.

Edited by 23Prince (Fri 23-Sep-16 14:04:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to