User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DJHS
(learned) Mon 26-Sep-16 12:18:17
Print Post

Emails to BTInternet addresses

[link to this post]

Is there any evidence that emails to BTInternet addresses have not been getting through in August / September?

I ask this because a friend who maintains a relatively small (20 - 30) list of members of a walking group has found that notices of recent events sent to subscribing members of his group were not received. Other, non BTInternet recipients did receive the notices. My friend's ISP is PCXinternet, not BT, but there seems to be a pattern of BTinternet users not receiving the emails. My friend asked several members of his list and they said they had not received the email and the common element seemed to be that they were BTInternet users.

I also have a larger (c. 200) list of people to whome I send periodic notices of events. I have weak evidence of a lack of response to a recent distribution email from BTInternet users. This may be simply the recipients choosing to not respond, but ... The question is in the air.

Has anyone else seen anything similar?

David HS
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 12:22:00
Print Post

Re: Emails to BTInternet addresses

[re: DJHS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DJHS:
Has anyone else seen anything similar?

Yes, it's commonly reported at the official BT forums.

Oliver.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 13:34:56
Print Post

Not sure if there is evidence as such but the BT mail system has a reputation for being rubbish. Emails fail in either direction. Last time I spoke to their support about it because my Dad was struggling to send me an email they suggested he switch to Google Mail. Four times I think he tried to send that email to me and four times it bounced back to him without getting anywhere near my server. It wasn't a big email either. Just a letter.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User scopio
(committed) Mon 26-Sep-16 13:54:31
Print Post

Have a look at this page if you emails are being rejected with "error message 554 - can't receive emails from some people" by your recipients.
https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/error-message-554-...

You may also read this post by a BT Community Moderator;
"Hi Guys,

If you send legitimate bulk email and your mailings are not being delivered to the recipients' Inbox or are being continually deferred, please email details to postmaster@btinternet.com. The Postmaster team will then see what needs doing to address the problem.

For more information take a look at - BT Mail - Best practices for Postmasters and senders of bulk mail

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 10 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8.1 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13669...
http://speedtest.net/result/2668600210.png

Edited by scopio (Mon 26-Sep-16 14:07:11)

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Sep-16 17:11:47
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

It is very common that BTInternet addresses don't get mail from small mailing lists. AOL is also bad for this. The emails are accepted by the BT servers, then they are just dropped in the BT network, never arriving at the recipient's mailbox.

One way to improve things is to get the recipients to whitelist the mailing list.

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l)
Standard User derekdel
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 22:11:18
Print Post

Yes BT mail is horrible for sending and receiving, not the first time I have had mail sent to me or mail I have sent getting 'lost'. Not in any spam traps.

I don't think it's normal for email to take upwards of 6 minutes to be delivered to a recipients mail box either!
Standard User DJHS
(learned) Thu 29-Sep-16 17:17:56
Print Post

Thank you for all the comments on this, depressing though they are.
I looked through the thread on the BT forum and was not encouraged.
As some of the recipients are older and struggle with even the basics of PCs and email, asking dozens of them to whitelist my friend or me (as the senders) does not appeal.

Maybe it's back to what I was trying to escape - for the BTinternet users at least: printing multiple copies, collating the sheets, folding, stuffing into envelopes, closing and sealing the envelopes, printing address labels, sticking them onto the envelopes, sticking on stamps and taking the whole lot to a post box. If we struggle with email, let's remember where we were a few years ago in the administration of small societies!

David HS
  Print Thread

Jump to