User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User krustykrab
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-16 20:08:47
Print Post

Migration from SKY fibre to infinity 1

[link to this post]

I am in the process of changing from SKY fibre to BT infinity 1, however i am getting concerned that I may lose broadband for a week or so during the process.
Has anybody had experience with migrating from SKY fibre to BT infinity.
What is worrying me is the first email I get states:-

In the next 2 working days we'll place an order to bring back your telephone line to BT, which will be an order for a line with relevant calling plan
You will not experience a break in your current broadband service, and you will receive an order confirmation for the telephone line order
BT will then contact your current line provider and make the arrangements to transfer your current telephone number back to BT this typically takes 13 working days
Remember until we provide you with Infinity superfast broadband you will only be charged and billed for the line and calls element of your service, after which you will be moved to the package option you have chosen
Track your telephone line order at www.bt.com/ordertracking or call 0800 731 0286

Next steps - providing superfast BT Infinity

Once your telephone line is back with BT, we'll contact you and place your order for BT Infinity, before arranging a date for your engineer installation
We will provide you with your speed estimate for BT Infinity when contacting you to place your order
We'll then send you a separate letter confirming your new BT Infinity order details

Then I get a text stating

Hi ? This is a message from BT. We have placed your BT Line order with Ref:******* this will start on the17/10/2016 . The Broadband order wil be placed once your line is active with BT, sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Please track your order at www.bt.com/OrderTracking. Thank Yo.

After contacting BT to clarify the situation the operators where unable to confirm whether I will continue with my current SKY fibre connection once the line has been switched until the BT broadband service is activated.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 21:58:08
Print Post

Re: Migration from SKY fibre to infinity 1

[re: krustykrab] [link to this post]

Since where the voice side of things originates and your current broadband come from are separate, the original explanation sounds entirely correct.

Standard User krustykrab
(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-16 20:42:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I do understand that where the voice side of things originates and where current broadband come from are separate.
My concern is whether SKY will keep the broadband connection active once the voice side has switched to BT until the broadband order has been completed.
I now also have further concerns as after using the BT broadband availabilty checker my cabinet shows WBC FTTC status as "waiting list" as I am worried I may lose FTTC completely if it becomes disconnected.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 27-Sep-16 21:14:52
Print Post

Yes you will
Standard User krustykrab
(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-16 21:23:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Yes you will

Sorry I will what? stay connected or lose broadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 27-Sep-16 21:29:31
Print Post

You will lose VDSL until the waiting list is replaced by availability
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Sep-16 23:25:20
Print Post

I did a migration from Sky Fibre to BT. I had line rental, phone and broadband with Sky. I was given a date, on this date absolutely everything moved over at once.

What do you mean by the phone and broadband come from separate places? I thought to get Sky Fibre you had to have Sky Talk?

Regarding the waiting list, yes - somebody will take your slot and you will go into the waiting list. You do not necessarily keep your current fibre slot as such.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 27-Sep-16 23:38:48
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

To get Sky broadband of any kind (barring legacy setups) you have to have Sky line rental. AIUI Sky Talk is not a requirement on top of that.

The "different places" can arise where the fibre headend exchange is different from the PSTN exchange.

On cabinets where there is spare capacity, then yes - an all at once switchover like you had can occur. On full cabinets it is a risky business.

Edit: I don't actually see the relevance to the discussion of where the fibre supply comes from anyway.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 27-Sep-16 23:40:12)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Sep-16 00:03:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Edit: I don't actually see the relevance to the discussion of where the fibre supply comes from anyway.

Me either, sounds like a mess due to the cabinet being at capacity - that's my gut feeling.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Sep-16 09:26:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Surprised BT took the order if cabinet was in that state, certainly could not place an online order when my cabinet was in that state.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to