User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Mon 26-Sep-16 21:12:31
Print Post

BT Hub6 - Wireless connection repeatedly dropped

[link to this post]

I recently upgraded my previous router BT home Hub5 to BT Home Hub6.

Installation was easy. It recommened I change my password. However, according to three password checkers, my existing password was very strong.

I was disappointed to find MAC filtering was not included.

No noticeable improvement in speed.

Wireless connection drops every two days and comes up with a "disconnected" icon against ALL wireless devices. Solution is to unplug and restart the router.

I can not see any advantage in this router over it's predecessor apart from the fact that the strong wireless signal makes it more hackable!

Firmware Version: SG4B100021F4 (22-Jun-2016) updated automatically (you cannot do it yourself).

Many adverse comments about this router on other forums.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Mon 03-Oct-16 19:44:34
Print Post

Re: BT Hub6 - Wireless connection repeatedly dropped

[re: Tantalus] [link to this post]

There are multiple problems with BT hub6, including degraded speed. Took ages to go to some websites.

Reinstalling BT hub5 resolved these problems.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Oct-16 21:13:22
Print Post

Try the following:

1) Turn off smart setup
2) split the 5ghz and 2.4ghz SSID and use the 5Ghz wherever the signal is strong enough
3) disable smart wireless and set a fixed channel (try a few out for best speeds)

The above setup means I have no drop outs for 14 days at a time smile

If it continues to drop every two days it needs replacing as that indicates a fault.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jb66
(committed) Tue 04-Oct-16 12:35:19
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I tried 2 HH6, sold both on ebay and went back to my Plusnet1 router and have had no issues
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Tue 04-Oct-16 19:23:22
Print Post

[re: jb66] [link to this post]

Using HH6, there was a heavily degraded performance even with an ethernet only connection.

So I reinstalled HH5 and everything worked fine (as it did before installing HH6).

The question Is: Is the problem in HH6 with the hardware or firmware or both?

My previous BELKIN router contained MAC filtering. As it is a simple thing to incorporate, I cannot understand why BT do not include it in all their Home Hubs.

Surely, companies such as BT, should be doing everything possible to cut down on hacking into people's networks?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Oct-16 19:43:19
Print Post

As somebody who works in the security industry my view is that, if an attacker is able to compromise the WPA2 encryption and / or WPS using tools such as reaver then they will almost certainly compromise MAC address filtering in a few seconds. MAC filtering should not be regarded as adding any level of security to the WiFi and you would be fooling yourself to consider it a security enhancement of any kind unless you are trying to keep out somebody with a low level of IT Skill who almost certainly would not be able to compromise WPA2/WPS in the first instance.

In my view BT do right not to include it on a mass market home router, less to go wrong. Someone somewhere will enable it by mistake, & others will enable it and have a false sense of security, perhaps some will even disable WPA2 entirely and only setup MAC filtering believing it adequately protects them.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Tue 04-Oct-16 20:51:01
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hello UkHardy

Thank you so much for your reply.

I used to be involved in designing encryption based systems, but retired some years ago.

Things have obviously moved on quite a lot since then. I looked at Reaver on the LifeHacker Web site and found the following:

"In a phone conversation, Craig Heffner said that the inability to shut this vulnerability down is widespread. He and others have found it to occur with every Linksys and Cisco Valet wireless access point they've tested. "On all of the Linksys routers, you cannot manually disable WPS," he said. While the Web interface has a radio button that allegedly turns off WPS configuration, "it's still on and still vulnerable.

So that's kind of a bummer. You may still want to try disabling WPS on your router if you can, and test it against Reaver to see if it helps.

You could also set up MAC address filtering on your router (which only allows specifically whitelisted devices to connect to your network), but a sufficiently savvy hacker could detect the MAC address of a whitelisted device and use MAC address spoofing to imitate that computer.

Double bummer. So what will work?

I have the open-source router firmware DD-WRT installed on my router and I was unable to use Reaver to crack its password. As it turns out, DD-WRT does not support WPS, so there's yet another reason to love the free router-booster. If that's got you interested in DD-WRT, check their supported devices list to see if your router's supported. It's a good security upgrade, and DD-WRT can also do cool things like monitor your internet usage, set up a network hard drive, act as a whole-house ad blocker, boost the range of your Wi-Fi network, and more. It essentially turns your $60 router into a $600 router."

I'll have to think more on this.

Once again, thank you for pointing this out to me.

Paul
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Oct-16 21:00:52
Print Post

Here is a quick guide on obtaining the MACs of devices connected to a router if interested. It quickly shows you how easy the security measure can be bypassed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAWlEJvDanA

WPS is a huge security flaw, when cracked it essentially passes over the WPA2 key. Since the vulnerability is on WPS, even setting a 60 digit WPA2 password will not slow a hacker down, they would get the full 60 digit WPA2 password in the same time frame as if an 8 digit WPA2 key was used. Of course if a home user notices the compromise, they may change their WPA2 key, usually leaving WPS to be re-exploited in the same way.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Oct-16 11:03:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tantalus:
I recently upgraded my previous router BT home Hub5 to BT Home Hub6.

Installation was easy. It recommened I change my password. However, according to three password checkers, my existing password was very strong.

I was disappointed to find MAC filtering was not included.

No noticeable improvement in speed.

Wireless connection drops every two days and comes up with a "disconnected" icon against ALL wireless devices. Solution is to unplug and restart the router.

I can not see any advantage in this router over it's predecessor apart from the fact that the strong wireless signal makes it more hackable!

Firmware Version: SG4B100021F4 (22-Jun-2016) updated automatically (you cannot do it yourself).

Many adverse comments about this router on other forums.

There is a problem with SG4B100021F4, BT are about to push out a new firmware.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-16 18:29:28
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

Hello UKhardy and Alnath

UKhardy, I looked at the utube video link and I agree it is very simple to bypass mac filtering given the programs the hacker now has at his disposal.

I also agree with your your comments on WPS vulnerability. Given your comments on WPS, I think I will set the password to the maximum number of characters allowed by the firmware.

Alnath, is then anyway of finding out when BT have released their updated firmware?

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to