User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User drphibes
(member) Mon 03-Oct-16 17:56:56
Print Post

BT Infinity dns problem ??

[link to this post]

Hi

After a long wait we finally got BT infinity installed two weeks ago. The connection has been fine until today when I am getting problems connecting to various websites. I open firefox and attempt to load a webpage and I am getting the cannot find server message. When I try to refresh the page it still shows the same error. Am I right in thinking this is a dns problem ? I altered the dns on my laptop to use the google 8.8.8.8 address and this made the websites work. Any idea how I can get my hub to start working correctly ? It it the latest Black hub 6 ??

Thanks
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Oct-16 18:06:55
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity dns problem ??

[re: drphibes] [link to this post]

My daughter who has the Smarthub 6 had similar DNS problems starting a few days ago. Switching her connected devices to using 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 has cured the problem for now but this is problem that BT would appear to need to fix.
Standard User drphibes
(member) Mon 03-Oct-16 18:41:27
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Yes not exactly ideal to have to alter the settings on each device is it ? It does not appear that you can alter anything in the hub itself. Had a look through the menus and it all seems locked down ?
BT suggested I reset the hub via the pinhole on the back so I will try that option when I get home.

Any other suggestions would be welcome if anybody has a definite solution.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sylcol
(member) Mon 03-Oct-16 20:13:23
Print Post

I have much the same problem for most of the day but normally my connection is very good.
Been trying to find out what's going on but pages just hang or do not load at all.

If it is a BT problem then as normal nothing on their site about it!
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Mon 03-Oct-16 21:01:40
Print Post

[re: Sylcol] [link to this post]

Been the same here, only noticed problems about 2pm when I came in,so could have been issues earlier in the day, still got problems now with pages slow loading or just hanging.

Speed has been up & down from 4Mb to 67Mb,now 9pm still not right.

Edited by Nightglow (Mon 03-Oct-16 21:23:30)

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Oct-16 09:30:35
Print Post

I have had DNS issues on and off for over a year now.

I know this doesn't resolve the issue itself, but its a work around that saves you setting every device.

I decided on setting up a DHCP Server on a spare PC (i.e. a low power shuttle pc) and installed Ubuntu + DHCP Server.

I then turned off the DHCP Feature on the HH and had my server issue out all the internal IP's along with pointing the gateway to the HH and also set the DNS to use our own DNS Server then both of Googles DNS's and finally a list of BT's DNS's.

Not had a single DNS issue since.

Paul
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Tue 04-Oct-16 10:11:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by drphibes:
Yes not exactly ideal to have to alter the settings on each device is it ? It does not appear that you can alter anything in the hub itself. Had a look through the menus and it all seems locked down ?
BT suggested I reset the hub via the pinhole on the back so I will try that option when I get home.

Any other suggestions would be welcome if anybody has a definite solution.

Agreed. As the HH6 has a DNS option they should include Google in the list. And then it's router level instead - much better.
Standard User ironman12345
(regular) Tue 04-Oct-16 13:29:20
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

DNS [Dynamic Name Server] is the key to all online connections and by changing it you can get sites to load that did not before.
But if the main or first DNS IP is not a BT DNS then you might not be able the resolve some sites because BT might put up a page listing the sites it has black listed by law.
But you should be able to use normal internet sites without problems so I agree BT need to get it sorted.
  Print Thread

Jump to