User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fisty
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-16 23:33:24
Print Post

BT infinity, own modem - advice, not route/wifi

[link to this post]

Hello,

I have ordered BT infinity as alternatives have no eta when they are coming frown

I would require some advice from you guys on what modem to buy for BT infinity, I understand it uses VDSL/VDSL2 technology.

By modem i really mean, no bells and whistles, not router, no wifi.

Googling I have found:

https://edspencer.me.uk/2015/01/18/using-your-own-ro...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/eci-modem

I have seen in a few posts here that many have draytek kit:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/21284-draytek...

I will be using one of these as my secure Gateway:
https://www.checkpoint.com/downloads/product-related...

I would like for this device to have the public IP, I sort out my networks behind it with security measures & NAT or using ipv6 "see forum post further down that BT infinity gives you a IPv6 native connection".

This device will be able to deal with the PPPoE authentication, I do not mind if the modem makes the PPPoE handshake, as long as my 2200 appliance gets the public IP.

Would this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/eci-modem do the job?
Better options out there?

Continuing the same train thought, suggestion for a good Wifi AP?

I have a DAP-2310/B D-Link, bit ill be honest it isn't great.

any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance for any input

fisty
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Oct-16 00:10:09
Print Post

Re: BT infinity, own modem - advice, not route/wifi

[re: fisty] [link to this post]

I wouldn't get an ECI modem, for the simple reason it is locked down and you can't get stats from it. The Huawei HG612 version 3B is the one to go for instead. Easily unlocked to get full stats and make other useful adjustments. They are the two Openreach products supplied pre-self-install.

Note that neither is a true modem. Both are modem/routers in bridge mode, with ISP login details being set in your own router where the public IP address is targeted.

The Draytek Vigor 130 is another option, but the HG612 does a good job for most people.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User fisty
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-16 01:28:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I wouldn't get an ECI modem, for the simple reason it is locked down and you can't get stats from it. The Huawei HG612 version 3B is the one to go for instead. Easily unlocked to get full stats and make other useful adjustments. They are the two Openreach products supplied pre-self-install.

Note that neither is a true modem. Both are modem/routers in bridge mode, with ISP login details being set in your own router where the public IP address is targeted.

The Draytek Vigor 130 is another option, but the HG612 does a good job for most people.

Hi,

thanks for taking the time.

Huawei products I am a bit sceptical, knowing that some of their product call back home to China

For the draytek vigor 130 I have linked, it seems at least in picture and I might be mistaken, the seem to be 1 ethernet port "fine" but the DSL connector seems big?

fisty

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 06-Oct-16 08:02:23
Print Post

If you think the Huawei is somehow calling home in China, do you think the ECI is calling home in Israel and the Draytek is calling home in Taiwan?

How do you explain that all the geeks using these devices are not aware of them calling home?

lol
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Oct-16 08:13:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Huawei is now such a massive company that it is likely their chips are in any number of things without people even knowing it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Oct-16 09:03:39
Print Post

You'd better have a look at your FTTC cabinet then [chuckle]. See the pics on this page. It will be either Huawei or ECI.

The new all-in-one cabinets, that you may have if you were previously on a EO line, aren't shown on there, but I believe are all Huawei.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Thu 06-Oct-16 09:48:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Huawei is now such a massive company that it is likely their chips are in any number of things without people even knowing it.

Including the NGA hes is on, probably, well 50/50 chance

OP, An All In One is good. I used a Billion and then the Home Hub 5B which was totally fine. The Home Hub 6 seemed okay with more custom options than the 5 like DNS and VPN

Edit.. Didn't see Bob's post, and just posted the same as him - fail :/ (but thanks for the link, I seem to be on an ECI smile

Edited by 23Prince (Thu 06-Oct-16 09:49:45)

Standard User legume
(experienced) Thu 06-Oct-16 10:17:23
Print Post

For the draytek vigor 130 I have linked, it seems at least in picture and I might be mistaken, the seem to be 1 ethernet port "fine" but the DSL connector seems big?

fisty

Also would be handy to know if the vigor can/can not do multicast if you ever wanted a TV product.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4506263...

Though the rather expensive firewall device may not do it anyway.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-16 12:51:19
Print Post

Happy with the TP-Link W9970 in bridge mode, otherwise its a reasonable basic 2.4 GHz wifi router with VDSL2 chipset.

Bridge mode means wireless is turned off and for neatness I know some remove the antenna (a little surgery needed if you want uber neat)

Gateway that you supply would need to do the PPPoE stuff, which is the same with pretty much all the bridging devices.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fisty
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-16 17:37:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Happy with the TP-Link W9970 in bridge mode, otherwise its a reasonable basic 2.4 GHz wifi router with VDSL2 chipset.

Bridge mode means wireless is turned off and for neatness I know some remove the antenna (a little surgery needed if you want uber neat)

Gateway that you supply would need to do the PPPoE stuff, which is the same with pretty much all the bridging devices.

thanks for this information but I am not interested in TV over IP, barely watch telly anyhow smile
  Print Thread

Jump to