User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User IrishWoW
(newbie) Mon 31-Oct-16 13:57:56
Print Post

BT Sneaky Contract a Joke

[link to this post]

BT are a right joke. I phoned BT 3 maybe 4 weeks ago to ask them to cancel bt sport as I don't want it any more as i wasn't using it they said no problem job done or so i thought.

3 weeks later I get a letter saying because of my request I have been giving a new 24 month contract. I did not agree to a 24 month contract nor was i informed this change would cause a new contract. So i read the letter and it said I entered the contract on the 17 of October and I was like okay that within 14 days of this contract I should be able to cancel (Buyers remorse).

I was basically told over the phone no because when i asked for a change in my contract that was me agreeing to the two year contract and that it was pass the 14 days notice. I argued and said I never was informed of this and I do not agree to this which ended up with BT giving me a cold reply well if you refuse we will charge you £540 for early termination. I was so angry I said you lot are sneaky you didn't tell me this over the phone nor email it to me , you waited 3 weeks to send this letter out knowing it by your logic it be too late to cancel without paying an arm and a leg. once this contract ends I will never be back.

The fact is I never get 2 year contracts and would never had agreed to this as I like to make sure i get best bang for buck. Especially since virgin and Sky in the next 4 months are coming to our area. I basically now have one of two choices accept that BT has won and stick with them for 2 years or hand over money I don't have to get out.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 31-Oct-16 14:07:46
Print Post

Re: BT Sneaky Contract a Joke

[re: IrishWoW] [link to this post]

If the cancel was to trigger a new contract then should have been warned, and thus given ample opportunity to consider your options.

Raise it as an official complaint and talk to the local CAB after writing a succinct synopsis of what happened.

24 month contract is odd too, since BT Consumer usually has 12 month contracts these days. What was the contract term for the product you were previously on?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 31-Oct-16 14:17:00
Print Post

[re: IrishWoW] [link to this post]

As well as what MrSaffron says, it's worth a calm call rather than angry pointing out that 14 days frim 17 October is today. Today is the final day to cancel.

Day 1 of "days from17 October" is Tue 18 October. Day 14 is the 31st. Today.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Oct-16 16:49:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Plusnet offered me a 24 month retention deal which I declined, then the COT analyst checked with his manager to see if a 12 month contract was available, it was so I accepted since I was stuck with 12 months of LRS as it's non refundable after 14 days from purchase which had passed.

plusnet user
Standard User SteveC
(member) Mon 31-Oct-16 17:18:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
24 month contract is odd too, since BT Consumer usually has 12 month contracts these days. What was the contract term for the product you were previously on?

The "personal offer" I used back in July, when my Infinity1 was coming to the end of its 12 month contract (with a 12-month promo price of £10pcm for bb plus line rental saver, reverting to £24pcm just for the bb), was Infinity2 for £14pcm for 24 months.

I was caught between a rock and a hard place, because I knew if I switched providers, I could have got a decent package deal and got Topcashback. However, I have come to appreciate the free BT wi-fi hotspots provided by other BT customers' hubs while I am residential areas. To my knowledge, none of the other providers have anything like the coverage of BT and to date I've not had a mobile that enables me to use 3G/4G at an extra cost.

A dodgy Infinity2 connection (~18000/4500mbps) after upgrade from Infinity1
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 31-Oct-16 22:59:49
Print Post

Re: BT Sneaky Contract a Joke *DELETED*

[re: SteveC] [link to this post]

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 01-Nov-16 01:06:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Is the July 24 month poster the OP here ? Does not look like it... wink

Virgin Cable (200/12) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Nov-16 09:14:22
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Thanks frown blush

Post deleted.

Edit - But re-reading the one I replied to I see what confused me. The poster included in their quote the question that was asked, about the previous contract, and then the long story that fitted with the OP.

All that was needed, if any quote at all, was the first sentence, and the simple information that retention deals often have 24-month contracts.

Plusnet also often do this.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 01-Nov-16 09:21:30)

Print Thread

Jump to