User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobstaples
(learned) Wed 09-Nov-16 16:58:19
Print Post

Faulty Smart Hub - replacement advice.

[link to this post]

Hi
I bought a BTsmart hub from BT in July this year. This morning I had no WiFI from the router. Tried rebooting and a factory reset but no internet connection.

I contacted BT and they agree the Hub is faulty. However it seems they will only replace the router if I renew my contract. I am currently out of contract since I've been with BT infinity 2 since 2013 and I have a monthly rolling contract. With a new contract apparently you get a free smart hub.

I reminded them that the router is faulty and is under guarantee. As such I should get a replacement automatically without having to renew a BT contract.

I don't wish to renew my contract for various reasons, the main being the Cabinet supplying my Infinity 2 is full and knowing BT they will want to replace my cabinet connection and thus I may well lose my fibre connection.

I'd be grateful for any advice please as to whom I could contact in BT to resolve this matter. Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Nov-16 17:25:48
Print Post

Re: Faulty Smart Hub - replacement advice.

[re: bobstaples] [link to this post]

Its under 6 months old and one would expect a few years life, so yes should be replacing it under standard guarantee. Though you should only expect a replacement HomeHub and not the newer Smart Hub

Changing the contract and remaining on Infinity 2 is a pure paper exercise and nothing to do with the cabinet and port capacity.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bobstaples
(learned) Wed 09-Nov-16 18:08:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I bought the BT Smart Hub version 6 so I should get a direct replacement for that under quarantee surely?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Nov-16 18:18:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Its under 6 months old and one would expect a few years life, so yes should be replacing it under standard guarantee. Though you should only expect a replacement HomeHub and not the newer Smart Hub

Changing the contract and remaining on Infinity 2 is a pure paper exercise and nothing to do with the cabinet and port capacity.

There are loads of issues with the Wi-Fi on the Smart Hub, there is a massive post on here about it and also on the BT site and others.

We are also suffering with ours where all our wireless devices will be stuck in a "connecting", "saved" and back to "connecting" loop, and I have to disable the Wi-Fi and then re-enable it to fix it until it fails again, normally every 4 to 7 days this will happen.

I will also be taking this up with my case handler at BT when they phone on Tuesday.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User 69bertie
(regular) Wed 09-Nov-16 18:44:45
Print Post

As you paid money for the item, you have a contract with BT with warranty rights, same as buying any electrical goods sold by any business. Quote the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Why people think telcos can avoid their obligations is beyond me

If you do a search you'll find it covers a lot with how you can get redress. The new Act covers much more than the Sales of Goods Act ever did.

Edited by 69bertie (Wed 09-Nov-16 19:22:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Nov-16 18:46:27
Print Post

OK missed it was the smart hub you bought, no way should they be asking you to restart a contract. Someone needs some retraining on the support team.

If they don't budge email us and will pester as a customer service issue to higher management

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Wed 09-Nov-16 20:51:55
Print Post

They're trying it on. Call again tomorrow, hopefully you will speak to someone with better knowledge and have them to replace it FOC.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User 961a
(member) Thu 10-Nov-16 09:47:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobstaples:
I bought the BT Smart Hub version 6 so I should get a direct replacement for that under quarantee surely?

Yes. But frankly I'd rather have Home Hub 5 a

Complain to exec complaints with polite complaint:-

gavin.e.patterson@bt.com
Standard User bobstaples
(learned) Mon 14-Nov-16 19:29:23
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Thank you everyone. I took the advice from 961a and contacted Mr Patterson and received the replacement within a couple of days.
  Print Thread

Jump to