User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Nov-16 13:35:44
Print Post

Changing HH5 IP Address

[link to this post]

Hi

I've just got a type B Home Hub 5. I'm now trying to change it's IP Address from 192.168.1.254

Everytime I try this, it reboots, I get a new address from DHCP in the correct range, but I can't access the HH5 via the browser.

Chrome keeps coming back saying site can't be reached.
I can ping it on the new address, but nothing else..

Any ideas ?

Peter
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Nov-16 17:35:09
Print Post

Re: Changing HH5 IP Address

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

Have you tried using the hubs domain name (cannot recall it off top of head)

It may be the web server in the home hub has not rebound the web server to the new IP address, so classic off/on to see if that helps.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Nov-16 20:29:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Have you tried using the hubs domain name (cannot recall it off top of head)

It may be the web server in the home hub has not rebound the web server to the new IP address, so classic off/on to see if that helps.

Its BTHUB, but that has never worked for me.

If you don't know its IP and on a Windows PC, just go to the Network folder.
Look for Network Infrastructure tab and look for the BT Home Hub X to show up and when it does, right click on it and select View device web page.

That's what I use to do a while back.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Nov-16 21:49:57
Print Post

What have you changed it to, and have you altered its DHCP range to exclude that.

For instance, if you have changed it to 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP range is (for example) 1-64, the first thing it will do is allocate 192.168.1.1 to the first device to attempt connection.

Fail!

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Nov-16 08:37:51
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hi

I only plan to use the HH5 as an additional access point from a pfSense firewall.

I defaulted the HH5 and tried it again. Same settings, Same IP I used last time.. but this time it worked.
Not sure if the reset/default helped or not, but its sorted smile

Peter
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Nov-16 10:17:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrPete:
Hi

I only plan to use the HH5 as an additional access point from a pfSense firewall.

I defaulted the HH5 and tried it again. Same settings, Same IP I used last time.. but this time it worked.
Not sure if the reset/default helped or not, but its sorted smile

It might of, when ever I start to see issues I have always done a complete factory reset and then gone through setting everything back up.

Also doing a backup and restore doesn't always work as I found out when I did a backup from my old HH4 Type A and restore it on our new replacement HH4 Type A, it just failed and said it was corrupted.

Anything to-do with IP's on the HH6 / Smart Hub etc is a pain to change without issues popping up.
Like I run our own DHCP Server along with other stuff, so I don't use the DHCP Service that is provided by the Hub, so I disable it, now here is the issue, the start and end addresses need to be valid on the hub even though the DHCP Service is turned off, how screwed up is that.

I have said in other posts that I am due a phone call tomorrow from my case handler at BT so I will enquire where I report issues with the smart hub, because I have found a few, some just cosmetic but some being big issues.

But for Wi-Fi Access Points, yeah, if no joy with the Smart Hub I will being disabling it due to its no better than the Wi-Fi on the HH4, and I will be using both of my HH4 and my FRITZ!Box as access points throughout our home, with the same SSID and password, but all using different channels.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to