User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User corsa57
(regular) Thu 17-Nov-16 22:51:28
Print Post

Maintenance of copper cable

[link to this post]

Have I been given the correct information by Openreach? I contacted them to say a tree in a nearby field had a branch touching the telephone line to my property. It was made very clear that Openreach does not sort out issues like this and the landowner would have to get the tree branch cut. I explained it was a very elderly lady who quite frankly is unable to look after herself let alone deal with this. The only suggestion was that once it damaged the cable they would replace it and then bill the landowner for the repair. Obviously I could not let that happen and so have bought equipment to do the necessary myself and avoid upsetting the lady.
I am left wondering why I pay a line rental every month if it does not cover maintenance of the line, surely this can't be right.

Edited by corsa57 (Thu 17-Nov-16 22:53:08)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Nov-16 23:34:42
Print Post

Re: Maintenance of copper cable

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

Look at it as if the tree was on your land rather than your neighbours. Who do you think should pay to trim the branch? Your land, your tree = your responsibility.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Nov-16 23:36:11
Print Post

It surely is right.

You pay line rental for Openreach to maintain your line.

I pay a garage to maintain my car, if branch comes off a tree and damages my car was it the garages responsibility to ensure no branch came near my car ?

Who should pay for the repair of the car if it did get damaged ? Not the garage for sure, though they would clearly seek recompense from me or the trees owner.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User corsa57
(regular) Fri 18-Nov-16 08:11:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thank you Zarjaz and MCM for your replies. I suspect neither of you stay in remote locations. Here just finding out who owns land can be a challenge and as telephone cables are usually not put through the middle of crofts but along the borders it can be difficult to know who owns the tree which no one has planted it just grew naturally there right on the border line between crofts. So as you can see not a simple a matter, electricity lines are just as vulnerable to this problem and they deal with it immediately and so I expect Openreach to do the same. I don't expect the service for nothing I pay for it in my line rental.

Edited by corsa57 (Fri 18-Nov-16 08:11:48)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Nov-16 08:29:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I would argue that BT own the line. If I own a car that gets damaged by a branch and can't get someone else to pay for the repair then I would have to pay for it myself. Same goes with BT - they can try and get someone to pay but in the end it could involve courts. If a branch was hanging over my car and in danger of damaging it (even just by normal movement) then I would look to remedy that before the damage happened.

We are not just paying OpenReach to maintain the line - the line is owned by OpenReach and their property.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Nov-16 09:30:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ten or twenty years ago my line was simply done in by the willow tree in my garden it goes through. It was replaced free of charge by BT, with no suggestion of a charge. But I think times have changed.

Though quite how the policy could be changed apparently on a whim by a business seeking to reduce costs is an interesting legal question.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Nov-16 09:35:50
Print Post

Is the old lady registered with BT as being "at risk" or similar?

Also does such registration also apply to my basically BT line; but with the Line Rental paid to EE as part of the Broadband Package?
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-16 10:45:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by corsa57:
Thank you Zarjaz and MCM for your replies. I suspect neither of you stay in remote locations. Here just finding out who owns land can be a challenge and as telephone cables are usually not put through the middle of crofts but along the borders it can be difficult to know who owns the tree which no one has planted it just grew naturally there right on the border line between crofts. So as you can see not a simple a matter, electricity lines are just as vulnerable to this problem and they deal with it immediately and so I expect Openreach to do the same. I don't expect the service for nothing I pay for it in my line rental.

It's not about whether Zarjaz lives somewhere remote or not. He's just telling you what the policy is, and he's absolutely correct.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Ten or twenty years ago my line was simply done in by the willow tree in my garden it goes through. It was replaced free of charge by BT, with no suggestion of a charge. But I think times have changed.

Though quite how the policy could be changed apparently on a whim by a business seeking to reduce costs is an interesting legal question.

As I understand it all of this type of stuff was agreed with Ofcom and the providers when Openreach was formed in 2005.

Edited by Icaras (Fri 18-Nov-16 10:48:06)

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-16 10:48:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by corsa57:

It's not about whether Zarjaz lives somewhere remote or not. He's just telling you what the policy is, and he's absolutely correct.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Nov-16 10:58:28
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

That makes sense. Unfortunately.

(In doing the edit you seem to have duplicated the original post smile).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to