User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Fri 25-Nov-16 11:20:38
Print Post

Bandwidth Usage

[link to this post]

I'm on the Unlimited Infinity package and with BT removing the bandwidth usage from their website, is there a way for me to know how much I use a month?

My contract with BT expires next month so I am exploring options of other ISPs but I need to know how much we use.

Is there a way?

Thanks,

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:36:51
Print Post

Re: Bandwidth Usage

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

To be honest, the best deals are usually on the unlimited packages, and if you are doing any online TV beyond the say 2 or minutes of news clips each day sticking with unlimited is the way to go.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:45:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by hypertony:
I'm on the Unlimited Infinity package and with BT removing the bandwidth usage from their website, is there a way for me to know how much I use a month?

My contract with BT expires next month so I am exploring options of other ISPs but I need to know how much we use.

Is there a way?

Thanks,

No, We've battled with BT for years over this - There is a hidden usage portal for all BT customers but it just says " You are on unlimited" and is blank.

Like Andrew says if it's unlimited you don't need to really worry about your usage. You will have an idea based on what you do on your connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 17:07:27
Print Post

Is there a way?

Thanks,
Simply put do not bother with non-unlimited packages. BT charge 1.80 per GB that you go over, to put that into perspective 1 hour of Netflix streaming can be up to 3Gb, so you would be charged up to 5.40 for one extra hour of netfix.

If you find BT too expensive, other ISPs have very cheap deals e.g. TalkTalk is 27 quid, plusnet is around 23 quid today etc and switching is easy enough.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 25-Nov-16 17:56:01)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Nov-16 19:26:57
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Like Andrew says if it's unlimited you don't need to really worry about your usage
You do if you can see that you save money by moving to a limited package. BT are denying their users the information needed to make an informed decision.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Nov-16 19:46:47
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

At present BT Infinity unlimited is cheaper than the unlimited with the offers

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Fri 25-Nov-16 21:59:23
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Like Andrew says if it's unlimited you don't need to really worry about your usage. You will have an idea based on what you do on your connection.

Well, yes. But I'd like to see if we can move to a cheaper package as we need to manage our budget. No point paying for something higher if you only use 15-20GB a month.

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User Mml
(newbie) Fri 25-Nov-16 22:46:46
Print Post

I'd like to see if we can move to a cheaper package as we need to manage our budget.

If I understand you right, you are only considering metered package from BT (25 GB I think)? Are you not considering other suppliers?
Because, as several people have already said, there are offers from other suppliers for unlimited broadband that are cheaper than BT's metered one.
If you are worried about upfront/set-up costs, I suggest you look at TalkTalk and Plusnet, as they are both offering free setup at present. Sky are asking for £20 setup, but this is offset by their current offer of broadband at £15/month which is unbeatable, frankly - such price wasn't around since 2011.
Standard User cymru123
(regular) Fri 25-Nov-16 23:05:48
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

Having a quick look it looks like BT, PlusNet and TalkTalk no longer have reference to their usage broadband products to new customers i.e they now only sell unlimited broadband packages. Sky seems to have a 25GB package but seems to be only a few pence cheaper than BT Unlimited Infinity 1.

If you want to negotiate with BT Consumer to see if you can get yourself a deal then you could try calling the Options team (0800 800 030).
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Nov-16 23:15:37
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cymru123:
Sky seems to have a 25GB package but seems to be only a few pence cheaper than BT Unlimited Infinity 1.

Sky's 25GB fibre product is over £17 a month cheaper than BT Unlimited Infinity 1 after the offers end so represents a very good deal for people with lower usage.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Fri 25-Nov-16 23:19:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to