User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derekdel
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 12:59:57
Print Post

The PAIN of BT

[link to this post]

Has anyone got ANYWAY of directly contacting BT in the UK regarding being sent a debt letter for a cancelled service? [service was paid in full]

I just tried phoning Bombay Telecom but was on hold for 35 mins then got cut off...

I don't need this hanging over my head right now.

At an old address I moved away from 8 years ago but the account was opened up in my name in 2014... Yahoo hacks probably.

PLEASE
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Dec-16 13:31:00
Print Post

Re: The PAIN of BT

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

If the account was opened two years ago for an address you left eight years ago, but the debt letter is getting to your current address, something doesn't add up.

For it to be anything to do with the Yahoo hacks the person now resident there would have to have knowledge of the contents stolen from Yahoo, specifically you at that address. The police, or at least Yahoo, might be interested in that aspect - if it is the case.

I think it more likely that the paperwork for the premises has your name as a resident in the pasts. Did you own or rent it?

Any such explanation still leaves the question open as to how the debt collection letter is getting to you. Unless the current occupant (probably not the one who opened the account) has knows and has given BT your current address.

I wonder how the person using your name to open the account paid any BT bills? Or maybe wasn't there long enough.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/16208Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User derekdel
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 16:02:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry it was an email letter sent to my old BT email address from Libby Barr. The Debt company does not have my current postal address, it only has my previous postal address.

Both the debt collector company and BT have sent letters to my old postal address, this was confirmed to me by the lovely debt collector company on the phone after I called them.

BT has my current address. All very annoying and trying to explain these details to BT, more frustrating. I have tried twice today with over 1 hr on the phone to deepest india for to be put on hold for over 35 mins then cut off.

The service listed on my Equifax account is showing in my name for a service I never had taken out over 8 years after I left the previous address. My credit score is shot to C**P because of this!

Hence the reason behind trying to get someone in the UK.

*edit* the crazy thing is my credit score is showing a payment to BT last month, not from me or at least from my account!

edit auto correcting Equinox/Equifax

Edited by derekdel (Fri 23-Dec-16 17:57:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikejp
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 16:07:58
Print Post

gavin.e.patterson@bt.com

Email the CEO and tell him what you think.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Dec-16 16:15:27
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikejp:
gavin.e.patterson@bt.com

Email the CEO and tell him what you think.

He is the CEO of BT Group, try michael.rake@bt.com who is the chairman of BT.

Or maybe email both.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-16 16:18:49
Print Post

Private messaged you the team which the CEOs etc send you to with all their details. You will get it resolved rapidly.
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 16:24:42
Print Post

This is identity theft and the person(s) responsible could have used your details for other things.

You MUST report this to the police and get a crime number , that you can throw at BT and the debt collection service.

I had a my debit card cloned and the swines emptied my account , I went through hell with the bank until I got the police involved.

I then started getting demands from people all over the country for unpayed bills etc. and a letter arrived from DVLA for a car I supposedly had left untaxed in Liverpool ....... never been there in my life.

Having that crime number and throwing that at DVLA and other parties resolved those issues.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 23-Dec-16 16:37:02
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

The BT staff are doing their job, and probably doing it correctly. If the OP has been impersonated once, how do they know it is not another fraudster calling. BT has to be sure of the situation before they separate the two parties - legitimate and fraud.

At present, even with the high level complaints team, chasing the OP may be put on-hold until the fraud is proven.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Dec-16 16:40:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by derekdel:
Sorry it was an email letter sent to my old BT email address from Libby Barr. The Debt company does not have my current postal address, it only has my previous postal address.

Both the debt collector company and BT have sent letters to my old postal address, this was confirmed to me by the lovely debt collector company on the phone after I called them.
Sorry to keep on sounding doubtful, but are you sure this isn't a scam email?

I get several, often brilliant spoof HMRC or Companies House ones. The latest are Manchester Police over a speeding offence - on a road I often use. Manchester Police have had to issue a big warning on their website that this is not a real email, because of the number of people calling them.

Where did you get the phone number to ring the debt-collector company?
BT has my current address. All very annoying and trying to explain these details to BT, more frustrating. I have tried twice today with over 1 hr on the phone to deepest india for to be put on hold for over 35 mins then cut off.
If it is a scam email it wouldn't be surprising they don't know what you are talking about.
The service listed on my Equinox account is showing in my name for a service I never had taken out over 8 years after I left the previous address. My credit score is shot to C**P because of this!

Hence the reason behind trying to get someone in the UK.

*edit* the crazy thing is my credit score is showing a payment to BT last month, not from me or at least from my account!
Sorry, I don't know what an Equinox account is. Is it the debt-collector company? If so, hmmmm. I don't think so.

How does your credit score (where) hold recent payment details. I could be wrong, but I though credit agencies such as Experian and Equifax (Ah!!! is that who you mean?) just recorded general financial information about you, not detailed transaction history such as BT bills and payments.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/16208Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User derekdel
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 18:13:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Equinox/Equifax...... post edited due to unnoticed auto correct!

It's not a phishing email, there were specific contact details only BT know [hopefully] i never click on link within emails anyway.

I looked up my credit score from my main desktop pc. All the failed and paid transactions are there under my name at a previous address.

I carefully searched for the Debt collector company to verify their details and that the number was correct, I gave incorrect details to them in the first instance to make sure it wasn't a scam also, if it was a scam they wouldn't of challenged so much misinformation I supplied them.

Equifax holds and records enough details to track payments made on time or missed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to