User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Sat 31-Dec-16 12:50:17
Print Post

Broadband dropped repeatedly and Hiss on Phone

[link to this post]

Since this morning, our BT line has had hiss on it. Broadband repeatedly dropped.

I went through the standard BT tests and they said the fault was likely to be in the home.

This is very unlikely as both the phone and Broadband have been problem-free for the last few months.

BT offered to send an engineer out which might cost £125 and also to rest my router to factory settings, both of which I declined.

We live in London and are on BT Infinity.

Has anyone else had problems this morning?
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Dec-16 13:20:44
Print Post

Re: Broadband dropped repeatedly and Hiss on Phone

[re: Tantalus] [link to this post]

Well I am on Infinity 4 (FTTP) and our phone line is also using the fibre (FVA) so I wouldn't know.

What you could try is carefully unscrew and remove the phone and DSL faceplates.
PLEASE NOTE THERE MAY BE WIRES CONNETED TO THESE FACE PLATES

Then plug in a DSL micro filter into the test socket and plug the phone and your hub into the micro filter and recheck, BT will also ask you to do this over the phone.

Image of the NTE5A Master Socket.

If you hear no hiss then it could be your internal wiring.
If there is still a hiss it "most" likely an external issue, but this is depending on your internal wiring being done right.

When you carefully remove the phone and ds faceplates your phone extensions if you have any should be dead, if they still work then your wiring is done wrong.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Dec-16 14:41:15
Print Post

The symptoms you describe are usually associated with a fault called an 'HR dis'

Basically a poor or dirty connection on one leg somewhere between you and (since you are on FTTC)
the cabinet.

These faults can be a [censored] to find, and will often pass most of the basic tests. Good luck.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Dec-16 16:43:14
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
These faults can be a [censored] to find, and will often pass most of the basic tests. Good luck.

Hell yeah, I even remember what I had a HR fault 12 months ago, I even tried the BT Automated line test while using the master test socket, it did the actual test, I knew that due to we lost our ADSLx connection.

It then phoned back and said the line was fine and as it was saying with the automated voice there was huge crackling on the line.

So I did an actual quiet line test which the OP can here on >> this << recording, hopefully their line sounds like this.

At that point I knew the automated tests was a pile of [censored] and I know it wasn't our internal wiring I reported it to BT via my mobile.

BT asked me to have everything in the test socket which I said its already in there, so they did some tests.

They did at first blame our internal wiring, but when I told them that the cable from the BT80 to the Master Socket is their property so they are responsible for it not me, they carried on doing more tests and then it seemed that my BT phone line went dead due to all their tests was bouncing back and failing (their words, not mine).

I was then told an engineer will be sent out to resolve the fault, they didn't say they would be sent to my home, then about an hour or two later our fault was updated on the BT site as being in the exchange, then 3 days later our line was working again with slightly better ADSL 2+ speeds.

So for 3 days our phone line was redirected to my mobile and a few calls from my mobile was paid back to me.

However this fault that was fixed soon came back a few times over the next several months, that's why when our FTTP was installed I moved everything off our copper line over to the fibre one.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Dec-16 17:14:28
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Also when testing at the test socket, its worth making sure none of the extensions work, and also that when all filters and modems are unplugged from the line that the issue remains. Corded phone is best, as some dect systems can introduce their own hiss.

If the issue remains when all ADSL kit is disconnected then its a simple voice fault to report, and when engineer arrives unplug all the ADSL kit to show the fault exists with nothing connected over than a corded phone.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User oldswan
(learned) Sat 31-Dec-16 17:23:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

As you say these faults can a b***** to find. I remember about 3 years ago we had this problem of noise on the line and BT tried to charge me for the first engineer visit as he couldn't find anything wrong. The line was still noisy after he left to the extent that BT faults could hardly hear me when I called them. The second engineer was able to locate the fault within a few seconds in a junction at the top of the pole outside the house.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-Dec-16 18:14:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I totally agree, when I was in contact with my case handler at BT (chairman's office) about the fibre issues that we was having at the time, we had to turn off our HH4 due to the phone call would cause the HH4 to loose sync, anyway my case handler at one point could even hear the loud cracking on the line.

Also the BT sales person when we ordered Infinity 4 he had problems hearing me as I did them, so when I brought up the bad line they said that they thought it was their end, I then went on to tell them nope its our line which has been happening on and off for the last few years.
They asked me if I wanted to report the fault, I sort of laughed and said why waste money and resources if I am getting fibre and also FVA, they replied true and also laughed.

But yeah, a corded phone does work better, but a DECT phone wouldn't add in the huge crackling that I heard and also hearing the HH4 trying to resync at 1 min in the recording.

As far as I know going by the state of the actual copper cables in the chambers they have never been replaced, the cable from the chamber up the pole to my home was new and so in the internal wiring.

I even re-did all the wiring from the BT80 to the master socket when our FTTP was installed and the FVA was activated, however I was given permission to do so due to the outside copper line was no longer in use.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Sat 31-Dec-16 18:50:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Corded phone is best, as some dect systems can introduce their own hiss.
also many dect phones enhance 'silence', thus masking the noise.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Jan-17 10:58:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Corded phone is best, as some dect systems can introduce their own hiss.

This /\

I have a hiss on my line thanks to the Panasonic phones we use but the line is fine and as it should be. When i plug in my BT branded corded phone that i only keep for if owt goes belly up the line is dead silent.
Standard User aliens
(member) Tue 10-Jan-17 22:56:32
Print Post

Same problem here for the last couple of days (Somerset)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to