User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Fri 13-Jan-17 08:43:47
Print Post

Router stats for a VDSL2 line

[link to this post]

I would be grateful if someone could comment on the following set of DSL stats obtained from a Draytek Vigor 2860 router on a BT VDSL2 line , where the fibre cabinet is about 30 metres away.

Is there anything unusual about any value? Even better, is there somewhere where I can look up what the important values mean?

Apologies for the horrible layout - I don't know of a way to put the table as a 'real' table, in a monospaced font...

LINE STATISTICS for VDSL2 line on Draytek 2860 router

Downstream Upstream
---------- --------
Actual Rate 79995 Kbps 20000 Kbps
Attainable Rate 109995 Kbps 31354 Kbps
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 1 1
Actual PSD -5.-3 dB -5.-3 dB

Near Far
End End
--- ---
Trellis ON ON
Bitswap ON OFF
ReTx 0 0
SNR Margin 14 dB 12 dB
Attenuation 5 dB 4 dB
CRC 0 95
FECS 14 s 1024 s
ES 0 s 77 s
SES 0 s 0 s
LOSS 0 s 19 s
UAS 34 s 231346 s
HEC Errors 0 0
RS Corrections 0 0
LOS Failure 0 0
LOF Failure 0 0
LPR Failure 0 0
NCD Failure 0 0
LCD Failure 0 0
NFEC 255 255
RFEC 16 16
LYSMB 5410 21451
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 13-Jan-17 09:01:33
Print Post

Re: Router stats for a VDSL2 line

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
Downstream Upstream
---------- --------
Actual Rate 79995 Kbps 20000 Kbps
Attainable Rate 109995 Kbps 31354 Kbps
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 1 1

Near Far
End End
--- ---
SNR Margin 14 dB 12 dB
Attenuation 5 dB 4 dB
Looks very good on a very short line.
Near Far
End End
--- ---
Bitswap ON OFF
Looks odd. Why would bitswap be off on upstream?
[edit] although a quick look at mydslwebstats shows not much bitswapping going on

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 13-Jan-17 09:05:58)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 13-Jan-17 09:24:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
I would be grateful if someone could comment on the following set of DSL stats obtained from a Draytek Vigor 2860 router on a BT VDSL2 line , where the fibre cabinet is about 30 metres away.

Is there anything unusual about any value? Even better, is there somewhere where I can look up what the important values mean?

Nothing unusual about those.

You say 30m to the fibre cabinet which itself is not a totally useful measurement unless it is an AIO. What is the distance from you to the original PCP? and is there a pole? Then how far from PCP to fibre cab?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 13-Jan-17 09:29:45
Print Post

As per BatBoy's reply, but I would add the the bulk of your stats are to do with error figures, and those need to be looked at in relation to the uptime. Is there an "AS" line, which is the number of seconds? Or is there a simple uptime figure showing it in normal hh:mm:ss notation?

Where do the many "s"s come from? They are distracting and look to me as though you have added them. On most of the lines they are present the "S" at the end of the label is "seconds", and on some lines the small "s" is inappropriate.

For instance, FECs is a number, not a time. As in Forward Error Corrections. LOSS is surely Loss of Signal, again an occurrence counter? (Edit - I see the Loss of Signal line lower down so no idea what LOSS is).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 13-Jan-17 10:58:22)

Standard User John_Gray
(member) Fri 13-Jan-17 10:17:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

@BatBoy: thanks for the comments!

@MHC: "You say 30m to the fibre cabinet which itself is not a totally useful measurement unless it is an AIO. What is the distance from you to the original PCP? and is there a pole? Then how far from PCP to fibre cab? "

Unfortunately I don't know the meaning of any of your initialisms! I presume the path of the copper wires is from the fibre cabinet (as I call it), underneath a small road and associated pavements in a small town, and then into the premises. The actual length of copper wire is undoubtedly somewhat greater than 30 metres (which was my 'as the crow flies' figure) but I have no way of determining this. I didn't see any pole (but there again, I wasn't looking!)

@RobertoS: the UpTime at which the DSL figures were obtained is about 47 hours (the DSL stats page doesn't include a time). The 's's (all lower-case) are on the DSL stats page itself, separated by a tab from the preceding numeric field. I presume they mean 'seconds'? Since I have no idea what the names mean, I don't know if 'seconds' is a meaningful concept in those cases where it's shown.

Summarising your responses, it seems that this new line is in good nick!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 13-Jan-17 10:44:22
Print Post

Your connection will be:

The voice comes from the exchange to the original cabinet (Primary Connection Point - PCP). A link then takes that to the fibre cabinet which has a fibre feed and where voice and data are combined. This is the "start" of your copper pair based data connection. The combined signal is then fed back to the PCP and from there it goes under the roads and pavements to your premises.

So, the distance is you to PCP + PCP to Fibre Cab. and yes, it can meander although in your case, not by much.

In a small number of locations there are All-In-One cabinets which house both the PCP and Fibre cab functionality in once unit.

Reason I asked is that it would be nice to know what line lenghth (approx) gives a 5dB attenuation.

Premises, into street and under roads and pavements to the ORIGINAL green cabinet and then from that cabinet to the fibre cabinet which is where the voice and data connections come to

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 13-Jan-17 11:02:43
Print Post

How weird re the "s"s smile. No matter!

As you gathered, at the moment the stats look good. However, if it is a new cabinet and you are one of the first on it, you can expect the Attainable Rate to fall considerably (from crosstalk where wires from other lines are close to yours) as other people take up FTTC on the same cabinet. It's unlikely to result in your actual rate falling, but error rates may increase.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 13-Jan-17 11:09:00
Print Post

Oh, and a slight oddity. The FECs line looks decidedly strange, given that related lines such as the Fast/Fast; interleaving depth 1/1 and RS Corrections 0/0. I would expect the FECs also to be 0/0.

It's possible the Vigor has a slight bug in the GUI (screen presentation - Graphical User Interface). If you know how to run telnet it would be a good idea to obtain stats that way to confirm.

Standard User John_Gray
(member) Sun 15-Jan-17 19:17:00
Print Post

@MHC: thank you for the explanation. The PCP and the Fibre Cabinet are within a couple of metres of each other. The Fibre Cabinet has been in situ for a couple of years, I think,

@RobertoS: there doesn't seem to be a Draytek Telnet command which gives similar information to the GUI whose output I have posted earlier. The closest I can find is SHOW ADSL (yes!), and I can't seem to capture its output from the Command Prompt Window.

It wouldn't surprise me that there are several bugs in the Draytek router GUI!
Windows used to require a reboot when you made config changes - but the 2860 needs far more, especially when configuring LAN-LAN connections...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Jan-17 19:55:48
Print Post

On the Draytek Vigor 130, once you are at the Command Prompt and have a telnet connection, on the Draytek Vigor 130 it is:-

xdslctl info --stats

for the full error reports version, and :-

xdslctl info --show

for the stats with summary error reports version.

Might be worth a try.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to