User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 12:57:18
Print Post

More price Rises..

[link to this post]

For anyone who missed it

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56087...

There is a link to contact them here if you want to leave.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/5657/session/L...

Edit - oopsie! = thanks for pointing that out smile

Edited by 23Prince (Sun 22-Jan-17 13:27:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Jan-17 13:12:37
Print Post

Re: More price Rises..

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Both links are to the Contact page.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 13:28:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The contact us page seems to be just generic. I just used it and was told to come back 30 days before my contract ends in June. So they person I don't think even knew of the price rises.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Jan-17 14:46:30
Print Post

?
Not sure why you are telling me this smile. All I posted was that your first link was going to the Contact page when it clearly wasn't intended to.

A typo, (that's what in effect I thought it was), that you subsequently fixed smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 14:47:39
Print Post

Not sure either!

:/
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Jan-17 14:55:12
Print Post

Heh! smile

Standard User jamespeters
(newbie) Sun 22-Jan-17 22:35:28
Print Post

Thanks for this.

There are two potential issues I can see with me cancelling my BT contract early (which I would like to do).

1. I no longer have the BT TV box and router which I assume they will want back as the contract hasn't completed.

2. I have prepaid my line rental which although they state is non-refundable I'm hoping it will be as they have changed the contract which I am now allowed to cancel.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 22:47:53
Print Post

[re: jamespeters] [link to this post]

I've never had to return any gear. but I have only had internet.

I believe line rental saver is lost but you should double check.
Standard User jamespeters
(newbie) Sun 22-Jan-17 22:56:01
Print Post

Thanks. Even mid-contract (when you have ended early) you haven't needed to return the router and haven't been charged an equipment fee ?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jan-17 23:18:54
Print Post

Line rental is non-refundable this is correct.

Equipment will need to be returned, I have not heard of anyone being charged but BT do send out a request for equipment to be returned now (since last few months).
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 23:29:45
Print Post

It's been about 8 months since I joined back with BT but no, I still have the HH5B from the last time I left in contract. I did get a new customer deal about a month later and cashback and a card etc, They re-connected me quick and then sent out a HH6.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 23-Jan-17 05:59:25
Print Post

these rises seem worse than usual, I think BT are really feeling the pinch on these sports rights.

£2.50 increase for infinity is massive.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-17 06:28:08
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Worse than usual?

You are aware that Infinity 1 increased £3.50 and Infinity 2 increased by £2.50 last year. In percentage terms, larger increases than this year.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 09:33:50
Print Post

Yes I would agree and I would also say No Andy. I recall last time it was £2.50 for Infinity 2 and £1 for line rental. The price went to £48,99 which is what I currently pay. In terms of Value it's not competitive anymore. I admit this time there is no line rental increase but even so - £18,99 is a mad amount to pay for a landline anyway. I am amazed Virgin have ANY landline customers considering they charge£19 a month and landline is optional. Even if it costs more when you don't have a landline I am sure it's still worth it. When you can't get FTTP or FTTPoD then any way to ditch the landline on FTTC would be good.

Referenced from this source http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2016/04... (although I will say this bit "BT says customers who signed up to broadband promotional deals won't see broadband prices go up." is piffle), my price was put up 3 months into my new deal"

I refer to my TTB connection, It's £45.85 inclusive of VAT. It's the first time I have used a landline day to day but because of the excellent Talk2Go app and the fact I get unlimited mins to landlines and mobiles included I now have a mobile phone with little to no mins (200) a month and unlimited data so I use that app and it gets put to my landline bill, which is included.

With deals like that (and the fact they are getting towards the realms of AAISP now) BT no longer seems of any value. You know I think I recently saw something that said AAISP has dropped their prices, but i've never seen a rise.

As for the sports rights etc, pfffft. I refuse to pay for this, and I know I have done before but now I know that's the reason for the rise, no more.

I guess it's down to the customer to decide, but considering they are now going to charge for BT Sport on their mobile and broadband service, I am sure most people will be annoyed.

Could be worse, When I was with Sky they put the price up in month 4 of my 12 month "half price for leaving Virgin deal" by £15 a month, and with Sky you are not allowed to cancel. So now I get all their channels online for free and I feel 0 guilt about it!

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 23-Jan-17 09:41:41)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-17 09:47:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Yes I would agree and I would also say No Andy. I recall last time it was £2.50 for Infinity 2 and £1 for line rental. The price went to £48,99 which is what I currently pay.

No Andy? This doesn't quite make sense...

You saw a £3.50 increase last year and based on what you say, your monthly fee went from £45.49 to £48.99 which was a 7.7% increase. In 2017, you will see a £2.50 increase from £48.99 to £51.49 which is a 5.1% increase.

In real terms, the line rental + broadband increase in 2017 is lower than in 2016.

Edited by AndyHCZ (Mon 23-Jan-17 09:48:35)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 09:52:02
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Sorry i was trying to say No Andy I wouldn't say it was worse this time around.

I won't see any increase in 2017. I've already given my 30 days and I am looking around. That said I may just dump the line all together for now.

But I do see your point
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-17 09:58:43
Print Post

I'm not sure what the latest schedule is, but I was expecting to see single order GEA-FTTC this year.

The problem you'll have is that for years, ISPs have subsidised their FTTC pricing with the line rental. So I wouldn't expect to see major savings from just being able to order FTTC without taking the line rental, but there should be some cost saving.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 10:36:25
Print Post

True. But If someone does not use more than 1TB and they are forced to pay what will now be over £50 a month - then AAISP is a sensible switch. Or someone with that sort of reputation.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 23-Jan-17 11:32:39
Print Post

You did read that AAISP have dropped a price.

They introduced Home::1 FTTC 40/10 at £10pm premium over ADSL2+ and £15pm premium for 80/20. At the beginning of September they reduced the 80/20 premium to £10 and dropped the 40/10 product. Upgrading current customers (on request?) on that of course.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 12:28:21
Print Post

Thanks for confirming that. It's the first time i've seen a price drop in an ISP which has the right business model and sustains it's pricing.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 23-Jan-17 12:53:00
Print Post

Yes, I am happily paying £35pm now, instead of £40pm. (The base ADSL2+ price was/is unchanged).

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 13:18:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yes, I am happily paying £35pm now, instead of £40pm. (The base ADSL2+ price was/is unchanged).

Nice!. I'm looking at them I will admit. Just ended my second month on TTB at 955GB according to TBB meter. so my usage has gone way way down

With the TV and the wifes usage that would double, but that's unlimited. AA would be just for me.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 23-Jan-17 17:10:32
Print Post

wasnt aware they went up last year no, I thought was just line rental.

These increases are massive in % terms, I am surprised customers are not leaving BT in their droves in this so called price sensitive market.

So in 2 years infinity up by a fiver?

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 17:19:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
wasnt aware they went up last year no, I thought was just line rental.

These increases are massive in % terms, I am surprised customers are not leaving BT in their droves in this so called price sensitive market.

So in 2 years infinity up by a fiver?

Basically yes. I gave my 30 days notice today and they have wiped the ETC's from my account. Now I have 3 choices. Do nothing and it will go onto a 30 day contract (I am told), Call them back within 30 days to confirm the cease or find another ISP
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-17 21:01:34
Print Post

30 days notice of what, Broadband and or phone line?

If you plan to cease the whole line you will be charged a fee of about £31.

We moved everything over to FTTP including our phone line (i.e. FVA), so we are now no longer using our copper phone line at all and we was charged £31 due to that.

The sad thing was we wasn't told anything about the charges of moving everything over to fibre.

So you might want to look into that as well.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 22:40:38
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yes everything and no, BT won't charge for a cease due to a price rise. They didn't last time put it that way and I don't expect it to happen again

Your move to FTTP was due to what you wanted, so the cease would apply.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 23-Jan-17 23:51:13
Print Post

Did you "Cease" the line, or migrate out penalty free? Big difference.

If you did a Cease that would have meant starting from scratch with the next ISP on that line. New phone number included, not that I expect the number matters.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-17 03:07:22
Print Post

Yes everything and no, BT won't charge for a cease due to a price rise. They didn't last time put it that way and I don't expect it to happen again

Your move to FTTP was due to what you wanted, so the cease would apply.

We never moved to anyone else, we upgraded there is a difference.

Also I wasn't referring to an early cancellation fee, I was referring to the charge you have to pay when the line is cut off and no longer in use, you have to pay £31 for that.

The Broadband Cease Charge is a compensatory charge raised in certain circumstances to cover the additional cost to BT of the work required within an exchange to recover equipment and amend records when a Broadband line is ceased.

When will the charge be raised?
This charge will be raised should you:
  • Switch to a Cable provider
  • Switch to another Broadband provider without following the standard transfer process*
  • Cease your Broadband completely
  • Cease your Broadband and move outside of the UK

When won't the charge be raised?
This charge will not be raised should you:
  • Live in an exchange area with no cease charges (use the checker to see this)
  • Move home and you re-connect to BT Broadband via the homemover process
  • Move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new UK address
  • You are ceasing service due to bereavement or severe illness

How much will I be charged?
The cease charge is £31 and will be added to your final bill.

See your full Broadband Terms and Conditions

For information on additional charges you may incur if you leave during your minimum period click here
* This requires you to contact your new provider.

BT won't charge for you changing to a different provider due to price rise, sadly if your dropping the entire line and not using it you will get charged £31.

That's what I was referring to, but if your moving everything to a new provider i.e. phone and broadband etc you should be fine.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 10:22:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Did you "Cease" the line, or migrate out penalty free? Big difference.

If you did a Cease that would have meant starting from scratch with the next ISP on that line. New phone number included, not that I expect the number matters.
\

Being Honest I ceased. I came back to BT a month later. They did a start of the line as it was still connected and BT expedited the FTTC and it was back on within 2 days as I had the HH5B still. They then sent me a HH6 out of the blue. Same number but as you righty said, not important as the number is never used apart from availability checking.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 10:24:25
Print Post

Well they have yet to do so - and if they do I will pay it. But when I called he said to me (and I recorded the call with his permission) that all early termination and cessation charges had been removed.

I will let you know after the 22nd of feb which is when it's all shutting down.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-17 18:12:03
Print Post

Well they have yet to do so - and if they do I will pay it. But when I called he said to me (and I recorded the call with his permission) that all early termination and cessation charges had been removed.

I will let you know after the 22nd of feb which is when it's all shutting down.

I think what they meant was you won't be charged to cancel witin contract and then migrate to another provider for both phone and broadband, which I totally agree with.

I was referring to the line being disconnected (I.e. no longer in use) that disconnection fee is out of the ISP's hands and has to be paid.

I think my brother had to pay the same when he moved home and took his line and broadband with him, so now his old line is dead and not in use.
I think Zen wavered the moving fee but couldn't the disconnection fee.

But I will ask him the next time I speak to him.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 19:36:50
Print Post

Fair enough and yes I know cessation is. Like I said, last time I was as charged nothing but the 30 day fee, and I will see what happens this time also. Before the line was totally killed. No stop a total cease.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-17 20:36:42
Print Post

If leaving due to a price rise or other legit exit there's no need to return your BT hardware.

I sold my YouView box when I cancelled. When BT lost the FOX channel, they gave a 30 day window to cancel so I took it (was just months into an 18 month term)

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-17 20:53:33
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

That's good, I was going to use my HH5B or HH6 for Plusnet
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Jan-17 18:46:56
Print Post

Money saving expert is saying price rise notifications should go out on Friday. Then you'll have 30 days to cancel.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-17 19:11:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
Money saving expert is saying price rise notifications should go out on Friday. Then you'll have 30 days to cancel.

Thanks for the advice, I was told end of Jan start of Feb, but I didn't have to wait. I have already given my notice and I started my migration out yesterday
Standard User _Resonance_
(member) Fri 27-Jan-17 14:46:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:

Don't they usually stagger it over a month or so?

BT Infinity 2
Standard User falko89
(member) Sat 28-Jan-17 11:24:52
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

You can phone up now and they will tell you. I got mine. I currently pay £32 for anytime calls and broadband, with my offer I will pay £35, yes that is with the offer. Even the advisor didn't even try and get me to stay with that offer. EE will do it for £28 or so they say.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to