User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User arronlowley
(newbie) Wed 25-Jan-17 22:10:29
Print Post

do bt and vm share the same phoneline?

[link to this post]

im asking this because i left bt for vm, but vm needed to cut my phoneline because they couldnt find my connection in their cab, but do bt and vm use the same phoneline? because my bt phoneline goes to the pole, he cut the cable in the box in the floor where the vm coax for the internet comes in. and im going to another isp.

Edited by arronlowley (Wed 25-Jan-17 22:12:31)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 25-Jan-17 22:26:40
Print Post

Re: do bt and vm share the same phoneline?

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

Virgin shouldn't touch your BT-owned phoneline, they should install a separate master socket.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Jan-17 23:23:25
Print Post

They don't share phone lines

If virgin cut the line and the old BT master socket was moved to the cable network then will need the new phone line operator (isp) to arrange a new openreach line install to fix things

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-17 00:08:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

When I went to virgin I got broadband only, he asked if he could cut the phone line as there wasn't enough slack on the coax to try pull it, he needed to find my connection in the cab, but this phone line he cut was in the ground, the one supplied to us by bt goes to the pole, im guessing from the pole it's to the cab, so I'm assuming that means virgin didn't cut my bt Phoneline but there own.

The phone line he cut was one that was next to the coax for the internet, they were stuck together, he just pulled it apart a little and cut it.

Edited by arronlowley (Thu 26-Jan-17 00:10:02)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 26-Jan-17 00:21:21
Print Post

Yes, that sounds about right - he cut the VM phoneline not the BT phoneline.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Thu 26-Jan-17 10:12:12
Print Post

only once have I witnessed a VM engineer take over the old BT socket and that was when I had it back in the Telewest days.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jan-17 10:59:54
Print Post

In that case it was just their own line that was cut

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-17 20:20:07
Print Post

do any of you guys know anyone on origin broadband? ive taken out services with them, bt are cons, and they charge £50 for the same service which is £22 more than i will be paying.

when i was with bt i had a connection of 80/20 with a max attainable of 85, it then dropped to around 71k.

i expect to get the same speeds on origin.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-Jan-17 20:52:44
Print Post

Which exchange? If TalkTalk LLU you are likely to go on TalkTalk Business Wholesale.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ironman12345
(regular) Thu 26-Jan-17 22:06:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Maybe I am wrong , but I had VM some time ago and at that time they only used coaxial cable from there own cabs.
The phone line was taken from the same cab and was run along side the coaxial cable and then split into a phone plug socket in the VM wall box.
The coaxial was then plugged into a cable modem.
The fibre line to the cab was DOCSIS 3 I think.
At that time I did not have a BT line to my house but could still use the VM phone line.?

Edited by ironman12345 (Thu 26-Jan-17 22:08:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to