User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 961a
(member) Thu 02-Feb-17 14:58:32
Print Post

BT home hub 5a resync

[link to this post]

Any views on why my BT Home Hub 5a router resyncs every few days for no apparent reason?
The speed remains fairly stable at around 40 to 43Mbps, resync happening between 3 and 10 days and at random times through the 24 hours

Does it matter, or would a higher speed be obtained if these could be eliminated?

The cabinet is about 350 metres from the router
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Feb-17 18:46:28
Print Post

Re: BT home hub 5a resync

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Are you really that close to the cab ? You should be getting better speeds than that.

Cue the usual questions, wired or wireless to speedtest ? Describe the set up of your connection ? Any useful stats in the router ?

Standard User 961a
(member) Fri 03-Feb-17 11:17:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Are you really that close to the cab ? You should be getting better speeds than that.

Cue the usual questions, wired or wireless to speedtest ? Describe the set up of your connection ? Any useful stats in the router ?

Cat 6 wired to computer from Router, router into faceplate broadband socket, internal phone wiring in separate socket on faceplate

Hub 5a firmware version 24/5/16 . Not updated since fitting. Uptime 2hrs 6 mins
Data rate 8849/43655
Noise margin 5.8/6.1
Line attenuation 33.5/24.4
Signal attenuation 34.2/22.0
Modulation G.993.2 Annex B

Speedtest results
Shortest sync 1 day, longest sync 7 days
Fastest down 40.16 TBB 40.50 HTTPx6
Slowest 38.65 39.15

Fastest up 9.32, slowest 8.10

Remeasured distance to cabinet, could be up to 550 metres, but as all cabling underground unable to ascertain exact route

Many thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Feb-17 11:30:35
Print Post

Either the cabling from the cabinet to you goes up the other side of the street and back down your side to you, or a similar circuitous route, or you may have aluminium cabling there.

I am almost exactly 600 cable metres from the cabinet, as measured by me before the FTTC cabinet was even present, and the reading on the installing engineer's JDSU was 0.6km. My attenuation is 18.9dB and connection speed typically around 57Mbps. (Below that at the moment due to me messing about and upsetting DLM).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 03-Feb-17 11:31:15)

Standard User bowdon
(committed) Sat 04-Feb-17 00:31:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

could it be his HH5 keeps resync'ing and dlm thinks its an unstable line?

That happened to me just before i swapped out mine for the hg612 modem +router setup.. line slowly improved after that.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Feb-17 00:54:22
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Not really. The attenuation seems to be the problem at 22dB or 24.4dB. (I don't know which is the relevant one, but both are much higher than mine). VDSL2 at this sort of value drops off quite rapidly.

If it was DLM we would expect to see the noise margin rise, and possibly a sync just below a nn000 figure.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Feb-17 04:04:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Maybe I am wrong here, but I thought 43Mbps on a ~500m line was rather good.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User 961a
(member) Sat 04-Feb-17 10:31:58
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Paul

I've no great problem with 43Mbps, especially since there is no drop off in speed after the resyncs

I'm just curious as to why this keeps happening, and why the firmware has not updated since I first connected the router. (Firmware dated May 2016)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Feb-17 10:57:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by 961a:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

Paul

I've no great problem with 43Mbps, especially since there is no drop off in speed after the resyncs

I'm just curious as to why this keeps happening, and why the firmware has not updated since I first connected the router. (Firmware dated May 2016)

I know the hubs can and do on most reboot every 14 days, BT support told me its for stability, now whether this is true or not I don't know.

If its doing a resync every few days then there must be an issue somewhere.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to