User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 13:34:17
Print Post

Re: Are BT Capping my Connection??? [Engineer Booked]

[re: craski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craski:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
They wasn't too sure if wholesale would accept it as a fault due to it has to drop to 40Mbps before its classed as a fault
Wow, 40 Mbps, that really sucks. How can they possible justify a 300Mbps connection dropping so much speed as being "acceptable".

That's exactly what I said to them on the phone, Infinity 4 users has too loose up to 86% of their speed (down to 40 Mbps) before its classed as a fault where as Infinity 1 (assuming 52Mbps) only has to loose 61% or 50% (for 40Mbps version of Infinity 1) of their speed (down to 20 Mbps) for it to become a fault.

But saying that I have seen our connection 3 times go down to at around 47 Mbps one example shown here, at the time nobody was using the connection at the time of the test and that low 47Mbps only lasted for 10 mins.

I might try and get moved over to a less congested segment, BT FTTP Faults said there is no issues in doing that, so I might hold off to see what the engineer does and says tomorrow.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-17 15:54:34
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

That's it.
I thought they were a FTTP Engineer that had extra gear?

Nope, just a light source and light meter.
You mean they are not nice

Some can be right miserable old scrotes wink

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 16:45:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
That's it.
I thought they were a FTTP Engineer that had extra gear?

Nope, just a light source and light meter.

Ah, ok.
In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
You mean they are not nice

Some can be right miserable old scrotes wink

Well out of all the engineers that I have met they have all been nice and chatty all apart from one that was a contractor, can you guess who they worked for LOL.

I hope they do all the tests including a speed test.
Due to a LLR would only show the strength of the light my end and nothing to do with if the line was capped some place in BT's network.

Like I said in another reply I am probably wrong here, but I am starting to think that the network has capped me as 94.5 Mbps thinking I am on FTTC.

I am thinking this due to everyone else on my PCP Cabinet are being downgraded from FTTP for some reason and are now to get FTTC later on.

But I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens with the engineer.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-17 17:14:43
Print Post

94.5meg and FTTC doesn't compute.

There might be a cap somewhere but it'll have absolutely nothing to do with FTTC systems.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 17:26:58
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
94.5meg and FTTC doesn't compute.

There might be a cap somewhere but it'll have absolutely nothing to do with FTTC systems.

I was more referring to max obtainable speed.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Feb-17 17:38:51
Print Post

Still makes no sense, more likely some setting screwed up somewhere and nothing to do with physical fibre, if it was the fibre you'd see a lot more variation in the test results or during course of the test itself.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Feb-17 17:54:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep.

An engineer isn't going to find anything at all wrong. Assuming the sync itself is correct.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-17 19:14:28
Print Post

Irrelevant.

The max attainable is something that varies minute by minute and is purely to do with the connection between the modem and the DSLAM on xDSL circuits. Even then, on FTTC it's nothing to do with Wholesale who would likely be resonsible for any "limit" applied to the circuit. Afaik FTTP doesn't "sync", the connectiom value is always the same.

I think an engineer appointment is going to be a waste if everyone's time as it's likely to be a configuration issue, as opposed to a physical fault.

Edited by lee111s (Sun 12-Feb-17 19:15:47)

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-17 19:16:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ha, unfortunately, no..
FTTC - cabinet about 400/450 yards from my house. Cheers, les.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-17 20:03:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But *may* be persuaded to run various tests, hard wired to their laptop, and maybe try a different router so as to rule out all the hardware side of things.

Their report will also be visible to all and sundry after which could be grist to Paul's mill.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to