User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 05:58:30
Print Post

Re: Are BT Capping my Connection??? [Engineer Booked]

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Still makes no sense, more likely some setting screwed up somewhere and nothing to do with physical fibre, if it was the fibre you'd see a lot more variation in the test results or during course of the test itself.

Setting where, I haven't touched any settings apart from the initial settings on the Smart Hub when we got it November last year.

The Smart Hub has also been connected for 28 days shown below:

Network uptime: 28 Days, 9 Hours 0 Minutes 
 System uptime: 28 Days, 9 Hours 1 Minutes

I have just done another speed test and still around 93 - 94 Mbps.

So it must be at BT's end.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 06:07:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yep.

An engineer isn't going to find anything at all wrong. Assuming the sync itself is correct.

Well the issue I think started Friday Night - Saturday Morning, well I assume because the latency dropped by about 3mS (from 16ms to 12ms) to an online game I was playing at the time.

The strange thing is the Smart Hub hasn't lost sync for the last 28 days, so we should still be synced at the full speed.

So are you saying that the engineer being sent won't be able to see anything is wrong?
Surly they would check the sync and then do a speed test on their hand device and see that its capped at around 94 Mbps.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 06:14:19
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Well I was just assuming simple things that it might be, but what you said does make sense.

Thing is, if its a configuration issue in BT's network, who and what changed the setting Friday Night - Saturday Morning?

I have checked on Roadworks and there hasn't really been that much of BT works going on my side of the main road where our fibre runs up to the exchange, so I also don't think its a physical fault.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 13-Feb-17 08:56:19
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The hub has nothing to do with the "sync" speed on FTTP, That's all down to the ONT. Physical works wouldn't affect the speed either. With FTTP, it's either connected or it isn't - it's digital, so it's on or off.

I assume you've done a full power cycle of the ONT and the home hub?

Have you tried factory resetting the home hub?

Have you checked that a setting for the Ethernet card hasn't changed from GigE to regular 10/100 Ethernet? Have you tried a different Ethernet port on the home hub?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 09:34:25
Print Post

Re: Are BT Capping my Connection??? [RESOLVED]

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
The hub has nothing to do with the "sync" speed on FTTP, That's all down to the ONT. Physical works wouldn't affect the speed either. With FTTP, it's either connected or it isn't - it's digital, so it's on or off.

Yes, I know.

In reply to a post by lee111s:
I assume you've done a full power cycle of the ONT and the home hub?

Have you tried factory resetting the home hub?

Have you checked that a setting for the Ethernet card hasn't changed from GigE to regular 10/100 Ethernet? Have you tried a different Ethernet port on the home hub?

Erm, I didn't want to touch the ONT just in case it had issues connecting back up, which would leave us without a phone line too.

Funny that you say about full re-boot of the hub, even though I am still connecting to our servers here at 1Gbit, I rebooted all our 1Gbit Switches when I noticed that one port was linked at 100Mbit and yes, this port was the one connected to the Smart Hub.

I did a simple unpluging and plugging of that cable and its now linked at 1Gbit.

So it seems that the Smart Hub Ethernet Port 1 got confused, now if this is an issue that might require a replacement later on I don't know, but doing a reconnect of it resolved the issue.

I feel rather imbarised now, me an engineer that did far more technical work forgot to do something silly like this tongue

Also I didn't want to touch the Hub due to at least we still had a connection and a reboot might of lost that.

I have had 35 emails from friends and colleagues saying "Have you tried unplugging and plugging it back in" and its only 09:25 already tongue

As for the engineer, as soon as I realised what the issue was I got onto the phone, but was cursed by the huge queue and while in the queue the engineer arrived, and funny enough it was my trusty fellow Boost engineer that we had last year that tried to get the most out of our ADSL connection.

I explained to him what had happened and he was happy to close off the fault as resolved and move onto the next job round the corner.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 13-Feb-17 09:35:19)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Feb-17 09:38:44
Print Post

Don't worry, that redness on your face will fade within a couple of days. It isn't a lurgy smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 10:08:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Don't worry, that redness on your face will fade within a couple of days. It isn't a lurgy smile.

LOL, the funny thing was when we were on ADSL I would like reboot it every time we had an issue, which used to fix it every time, and this time due to not wanting to loose the phone line as well as the broadband connection decided not to reboot the ONT and the Smart Hub.

I am now wondering why BT's FTTP Faults never asked me to do a reboot, I told him twice that the Smart Hub has been synced up for almost a month.

So we now know what to do the next time it happens.

"Have you tired unplugging it and plugging it back in" tongue

*** update ***
What would be nice is for the Smart Hub to display the link speeds of the Ethernet ports on the "My Network" section.

Sadly there is no way to request this feature or report any issues for the Smart Hub, well according to BT that is, which is a shame due to I have some small odd issues with mine.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 13-Feb-17 10:12:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Feb-17 10:16:29
Print Post

Setting in the IP network that the data goes across and is outside your control, e.g. VLAN in BT Wholesale WBC platform

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Feb-17 10:17:55
Print Post

Lol - adds check speed of LAN ports to list of checks smile

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 10:25:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Setting in the IP network that the data goes across and is outside your control, e.g. VLAN in BT Wholesale WBC platform

Yeah, but the Ethernet LAN side from the Smart Hub is ours surely?

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to