User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Feb-17 12:47:58
Print Post

Are BT Capping my Connection??? [Engineer Booked]

[link to this post]

Hey All

I am wondering if BT are now capping everyone on the weekends and week nights?

I am on infinity 4 (300:30) package and I am getting a flat line of 93Mbps shown here and just now here

The way I see it if it was congestion it would be all over the place, but this is a complete flat line.

I just tried to do the built in Speed Test on the BT SIte and it told me the following:
Broadband not linked to BT account

Your BT account doesn’t appear to have any BT broadband linked to it.

Also this is what it says about our broadband package:
Unlimited Broadband with BT Infinity 4
Unlimited usage
Up to 300Mb download speed
Unlimited BT Wi-fi minutes
Online storage with BT Cloud
BT Parental Controls, BT Web Protect & BT Virus Protect

So it still knows we have it.
I am about to phone the FTTP Team on 0800 587 4787

But something doesn't look right to me.

Has anyone else had this happen to them when on BT?

*** update ***
Spoke to BT and they did some tests (I.e. got me to go to http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and run the tests, which failed the second part) and could see it flat line at 94 Mbps and reported it as a fault to BT Wholesale.

They wasn't too sure if wholesale would accept it as a fault due to it has to drop to 40Mbps before its classed as a fault, but it seems that they did and a special engineer (sf something in their name) is booked for this Monday between 8am and 1pm.

Lets hope they see the issue.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 11-Feb-17 13:38:40)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-17 16:32:23
Print Post

Re: Are BT Capping my Connection??? [Engineer Booked]

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

a special engineer (sf something in their name) is booked for this Monday between 8am and 1pm.

SFI visit. Special Fault Investigation.

Nuttin' special I can assure you.

I hope you get a nice one.

They will speed test, but are not obliged to do so. Will be looking at the Openreach kit and the LLR reading.

Standard User legume
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-17 17:27:10
Print Post

Maybe some nic your side decided it was connecting at 100 instead of 1000 mbit?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Feb-17 17:30:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
a special engineer (sf something in their name) is booked for this Monday between 8am and 1pm.

SFI visit. Special Fault Investigation.

Nuttin' special I can assure you.

That's it.
I thought they were a FTTP Engineer that had extra gear?

I hope you get a nice one.

You mean they are not nice tongue

They will speed test, but are not obliged to do so. Will be looking at the Openreach kit and the LLR reading.

Well BT FTTP Faults said that the engineer will do tests from our end, so I assumed a speed test would happen.

I assume when you say LLR you are referring to Light Loss Ratio ?
If so that was very good when it was installed.

Just hoping the issue stays on the connection when they do there tests due to normally around 8am to 1pm its at full speed.

But due to where its not congestion at fault this time I assume it will still be here come Monday.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Feb-17 17:33:27
Print Post

[re: legume] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by legume:
Maybe some nic your side decided it was connecting at 100 instead of 1000 mbit?

Not on every PC, plus I am connecting to our servers at 1Gbps, also the FTTP Faults team did some tests their end.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-17 10:13:32
Print Post

"nuttin" (shakes head)?
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-17 10:18:22
Print Post

Hello,
No capping that I'm aware of - although my speed is 63 down 18 up, not your higher speed - but I do get this rebooting every so often (no specific time frame).
What is becoming a pain is that so often recordings made on the HD BT box fail - stating "box not connected": it is, and when I go into the system, that is confirmed. Any thoughts? Cheers, Les.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 12-Feb-17 10:24:34
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

Do you have FTTP?
Standard User craski
(member) Sun 12-Feb-17 10:52:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
They wasn't too sure if wholesale would accept it as a fault due to it has to drop to 40Mbps before its classed as a fault
Wow, 40 Mbps, that really sucks. How can they possible justify a 300Mbps connection dropping so much speed as being "acceptable".

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 13:18:32
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

I think its a fault in their network.
I am wondering if their system thinks I am on FTTC and capped it at 94.5Mbps thinking I would get 80 down with a max obtainable of 94.5Mbps.

As for the rebooting, my smart hub hasn't rebooted for nearly a month shown below:

Connection status: Connected 

BT Broadband /
BT Infinity /
BT Infinity 3 and 4: BT Infinity 3 and 4

Firmware version: SG4B10002244
Firmware updated: 22-Dec-2016
Serial number: ---
Network uptime: 27 Days, 16 Hours 15 Minutes 
System uptime: 27 Days, 16 Hours 16 Minutes 
BT Wi-fi status: Not active

I didn't want to touch anything until the engineer arrives tomorrow.

I just did another speed test and its still capped at around 94.5 Mbps.

I also did a speed test about 1am this morning where its normally capped at max speed, sadly it was still capped at around 94.5 Mbps.

*** update ***

As for your HD Box failing recordings, is that live recordings or On Demand / Catch up?

If its Live recordings then this happens from time to time, could be down to a clash with another two schedules, or just a corrupted stream.

Now if it was via the Online On Demand / Catch up route then it could be down to your HD Box lost its allocated IP Address when the Hub did its reboot.

To stop our devices from loosing its allocated IP Addresses I setup my own DHCP Server on a very low power Shuttle PC that was lying around here, I do plan to ditch the Smart Hub and have this PC connect directly to the WAN Port on the ONT.

But that's way down the line.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Sun 12-Feb-17 13:43:24)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 13:34:17
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craski:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
They wasn't too sure if wholesale would accept it as a fault due to it has to drop to 40Mbps before its classed as a fault
Wow, 40 Mbps, that really sucks. How can they possible justify a 300Mbps connection dropping so much speed as being "acceptable".

That's exactly what I said to them on the phone, Infinity 4 users has too loose up to 86% of their speed (down to 40 Mbps) before its classed as a fault where as Infinity 1 (assuming 52Mbps) only has to loose 61% or 50% (for 40Mbps version of Infinity 1) of their speed (down to 20 Mbps) for it to become a fault.

But saying that I have seen our connection 3 times go down to at around 47 Mbps one example shown here, at the time nobody was using the connection at the time of the test and that low 47Mbps only lasted for 10 mins.

I might try and get moved over to a less congested segment, BT FTTP Faults said there is no issues in doing that, so I might hold off to see what the engineer does and says tomorrow.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-17 15:54:34
Print Post

That's it.

Nope, just a light source and light meter.
You mean they are not nice

Some can be right miserable old scrotes wink

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 16:45:43
Print Post

That's it.

Nope, just a light source and light meter.

Ah, ok.
You mean they are not nice

Some can be right miserable old scrotes wink

Well out of all the engineers that I have met they have all been nice and chatty all apart from one that was a contractor, can you guess who they worked for LOL.

I hope they do all the tests including a speed test.
Due to a LLR would only show the strength of the light my end and nothing to do with if the line was capped some place in BT's network.

Like I said in another reply I am probably wrong here, but I am starting to think that the network has capped me as 94.5 Mbps thinking I am on FTTC.

I am thinking this due to everyone else on my PCP Cabinet are being downgraded from FTTP for some reason and are now to get FTTC later on.

But I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens with the engineer.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-17 17:14:43
Print Post

94.5meg and FTTC doesn't compute.

There might be a cap somewhere but it'll have absolutely nothing to do with FTTC systems.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 17:26:58
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
94.5meg and FTTC doesn't compute.

There might be a cap somewhere but it'll have absolutely nothing to do with FTTC systems.

I was more referring to max obtainable speed.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Feb-17 17:38:51
Print Post

Still makes no sense, more likely some setting screwed up somewhere and nothing to do with physical fibre, if it was the fibre you'd see a lot more variation in the test results or during course of the test itself.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Feb-17 17:54:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep.

An engineer isn't going to find anything at all wrong. Assuming the sync itself is correct.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-17 19:14:28
Print Post

Irrelevant.

The max attainable is something that varies minute by minute and is purely to do with the connection between the modem and the DSLAM on xDSL circuits. Even then, on FTTC it's nothing to do with Wholesale who would likely be resonsible for any "limit" applied to the circuit. Afaik FTTP doesn't "sync", the connectiom value is always the same.

I think an engineer appointment is going to be a waste if everyone's time as it's likely to be a configuration issue, as opposed to a physical fault.

Edited by lee111s (Sun 12-Feb-17 19:15:47)

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-17 19:16:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ha, unfortunately, no..
FTTC - cabinet about 400/450 yards from my house. Cheers, les.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-17 20:03:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But *may* be persuaded to run various tests, hard wired to their laptop, and maybe try a different router so as to rule out all the hardware side of things.

Their report will also be visible to all and sundry after which could be grist to Paul's mill.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 05:58:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Still makes no sense, more likely some setting screwed up somewhere and nothing to do with physical fibre, if it was the fibre you'd see a lot more variation in the test results or during course of the test itself.

Setting where, I haven't touched any settings apart from the initial settings on the Smart Hub when we got it November last year.

The Smart Hub has also been connected for 28 days shown below:

Network uptime: 28 Days, 9 Hours 0 Minutes 
 System uptime: 28 Days, 9 Hours 1 Minutes

I have just done another speed test and still around 93 - 94 Mbps.

So it must be at BT's end.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 06:07:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yep.

An engineer isn't going to find anything at all wrong. Assuming the sync itself is correct.

Well the issue I think started Friday Night - Saturday Morning, well I assume because the latency dropped by about 3mS (from 16ms to 12ms) to an online game I was playing at the time.

The strange thing is the Smart Hub hasn't lost sync for the last 28 days, so we should still be synced at the full speed.

So are you saying that the engineer being sent won't be able to see anything is wrong?
Surly they would check the sync and then do a speed test on their hand device and see that its capped at around 94 Mbps.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 06:14:19
Print Post

Well I was just assuming simple things that it might be, but what you said does make sense.

Thing is, if its a configuration issue in BT's network, who and what changed the setting Friday Night - Saturday Morning?

I have checked on Roadworks and there hasn't really been that much of BT works going on my side of the main road where our fibre runs up to the exchange, so I also don't think its a physical fault.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Mon 13-Feb-17 08:56:19
Print Post

The hub has nothing to do with the "sync" speed on FTTP, That's all down to the ONT. Physical works wouldn't affect the speed either. With FTTP, it's either connected or it isn't - it's digital, so it's on or off.

I assume you've done a full power cycle of the ONT and the home hub?

Have you tried factory resetting the home hub?

Have you checked that a setting for the Ethernet card hasn't changed from GigE to regular 10/100 Ethernet? Have you tried a different Ethernet port on the home hub?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 09:34:25
Print Post

Re: Are BT Capping my Connection??? [RESOLVED]

The hub has nothing to do with the "sync" speed on FTTP, That's all down to the ONT. Physical works wouldn't affect the speed either. With FTTP, it's either connected or it isn't - it's digital, so it's on or off.

Yes, I know.

I assume you've done a full power cycle of the ONT and the home hub?

Have you tried factory resetting the home hub?

Have you checked that a setting for the Ethernet card hasn't changed from GigE to regular 10/100 Ethernet? Have you tried a different Ethernet port on the home hub?

Erm, I didn't want to touch the ONT just in case it had issues connecting back up, which would leave us without a phone line too.

Funny that you say about full re-boot of the hub, even though I am still connecting to our servers here at 1Gbit, I rebooted all our 1Gbit Switches when I noticed that one port was linked at 100Mbit and yes, this port was the one connected to the Smart Hub.

I did a simple unpluging and plugging of that cable and its now linked at 1Gbit.

So it seems that the Smart Hub Ethernet Port 1 got confused, now if this is an issue that might require a replacement later on I don't know, but doing a reconnect of it resolved the issue.

I feel rather imbarised now, me an engineer that did far more technical work forgot to do something silly like this tongue

Also I didn't want to touch the Hub due to at least we still had a connection and a reboot might of lost that.

I have had 35 emails from friends and colleagues saying "Have you tried unplugging and plugging it back in" and its only 09:25 already tongue

As for the engineer, as soon as I realised what the issue was I got onto the phone, but was cursed by the huge queue and while in the queue the engineer arrived, and funny enough it was my trusty fellow Boost engineer that we had last year that tried to get the most out of our ADSL connection.

I explained to him what had happened and he was happy to close off the fault as resolved and move onto the next job round the corner.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 13-Feb-17 09:35:19)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Feb-17 09:38:44
Print Post

Don't worry, that redness on your face will fade within a couple of days. It isn't a lurgy smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 10:08:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Don't worry, that redness on your face will fade within a couple of days. It isn't a lurgy smile.

LOL, the funny thing was when we were on ADSL I would like reboot it every time we had an issue, which used to fix it every time, and this time due to not wanting to loose the phone line as well as the broadband connection decided not to reboot the ONT and the Smart Hub.

I am now wondering why BT's FTTP Faults never asked me to do a reboot, I told him twice that the Smart Hub has been synced up for almost a month.

So we now know what to do the next time it happens.

"Have you tired unplugging it and plugging it back in" tongue

*** update ***
What would be nice is for the Smart Hub to display the link speeds of the Ethernet ports on the "My Network" section.

Sadly there is no way to request this feature or report any issues for the Smart Hub, well according to BT that is, which is a shame due to I have some small odd issues with mine.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 13-Feb-17 10:12:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Feb-17 10:16:29
Print Post

Setting in the IP network that the data goes across and is outside your control, e.g. VLAN in BT Wholesale WBC platform

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Feb-17 10:17:55
Print Post

Lol - adds check speed of LAN ports to list of checks smile

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 10:25:04
Print Post

Setting in the IP network that the data goes across and is outside your control, e.g. VLAN in BT Wholesale WBC platform

Yeah, but the Ethernet LAN side from the Smart Hub is ours surely?

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 10:37:37
Print Post

Lol - adds check speed of LAN ports to list of checks smile

Yes and also check the logs for the LAN Ports too (from exported logs) tongue

12:14:10, 10 Feb. eth1:An Ethernet port is now connected (2/100/FULL)
12:14:09, 10 Feb. eth1:A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (2)

Should be

08:30:29, 13 Feb. eth1:An Ethernet port is now connected (2/1000/FULL)
08:30:24, 13 Feb. eth1:A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (2)

The only issue with the logs on the Smart Hub is they only store 2 days if that of logs, this is due to all the IP logs that it likes to spit out like the "BR_LAN:LAN Neighbor Discovery : Host " to do with IPv6 etc.

The thing is I am still no closer to what caused it to drop the link to 100Mbit, ah well.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Feb-17 16:25:57
Print Post

I guessed wrong for once...

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Feb-17 17:05:04
Print Post

I guessed wrong for once...

*** update ***

I was referring to the 3 Ethernet LAN Ports on the Smart Hub, not the Virtual Lan BT end.

TBH I have no clue who is responsible for what with FTTP.

Now with ADSLx I was aware that BT are responsible up to the master socket + any extension "that they" install.
So if BT install a data extension then you are not allowed to touch it.

The last part I was told by BT.

But I haven't been told who is responsible for what to do with FTTP, so its all down to assumption.
I assume BT are responsible for everything that they installed, that would include up to the ONT, due to the engineer had me connect up the Smart Hub to the ONT and our LAN.

So I would assume that we are responsible from the Smart Hub onwards, just like we would be responsible if we was using our own router, so the issues with the Ethernet Port 1 on the Smart Hub, would be my responsibility.

But what complicates things is BT are happy to replace free of charge a new Smart Hub if the current one becomes faulty.

So by that assumption BT are saying they are responsible up to the Smart Hub point which makes sense as long as we are using the Smart Hub that is.

Which was why we was sent an engineer free of charge even though it was the Ethernet port on the Smart Hub that was at fault.

But like I said this is all assumption here.

One thing I know to be true is we are responsible to look after all the installed equipment, any misuse would resulting in being charged if their equipment has to be replaced due to damage caused by misuse.

Maybe people on here can shed some light to who is responsible for whet on a FTTP Install also assuming the customer is using the Smart Hub (paid extra)

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 14-Feb-17 17:08:08)

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-17 19:28:05
Print Post

Openreach are responsible up to the ONT.

You are responsible beyond that. BT are simply a supplier of the home hub and would replace it, if it were deemed faulty. Just as Belkin, Billion or any other router provider would be (or really it would be the shop you bought it from) providing it was still within warranty.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to