Due to future BT price increases, I've received my email saying I need to contact BT within 30 days telling them I want to switch (not cancel) my BB+HP. It then says I need to give 14 days notitce for the switch.
If I interpet this corrrectly, I recieved the email on 10 Feb, so I have 30 days (until 12 Mar) to contact BT and notify them of the switch. Then, do I need to wait 14 days before contacting my new provider to start the migration?
How long would BT wait after me giving them notice for the switch to complete? I assume my BT prices would be frozen until the switch completes?
I've paid LRS so trying to minimise my loss with BT.
I don't want to mess this up and incur cancellation charges from BT.
EDIT: Spelling mistake corrections
Edited by BarkingMad (Sat 11-Feb-17 20:47:30)