User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BarkingMad
(learned) Sat 11-Feb-17 17:15:37
Print Post

Switching from BT due to April price rise

[link to this post]

I've never switched BB or HP provider.

Due to future BT price increases, I've received my email saying I need to contact BT within 30 days telling them I want to switch (not cancel) my BB+HP. It then says I need to give 14 days notitce for the switch.

If I interpet this corrrectly, I recieved the email on 10 Feb, so I have 30 days (until 12 Mar) to contact BT and notify them of the switch. Then, do I need to wait 14 days before contacting my new provider to start the migration?

How long would BT wait after me giving them notice for the switch to complete? I assume my BT prices would be frozen until the switch completes?

I've paid LRS so trying to minimise my loss with BT.

I don't want to mess this up and incur cancellation charges from BT.

Thanks

EDIT: Spelling mistake corrections

Edited by BarkingMad (Sat 11-Feb-17 20:47:30)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-17 19:52:55
Print Post

Re: Switcihng from BT due to April price rise

[re: BarkingMad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BarkingMad:
Due to future BT price increases, I've recieved my email saying I need to contact BT within 30 days telling them I want to switch (not cancel) my BB+HP. It then says I ned to give 14 days notitce for the switch.

You don't need to give 14 days notice, you just need to tell BT that you intend to switch due to the price rise, then place an order with the new ISP. The new ISP will do the rest.

Oliver.
Standard User Tazz_uk
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-17 20:32:24
Print Post

Re: Switcihng from BT due to April price rise

did you try http://bt.com/myoffer for a deal??

BT Infinity 2 Broadband

Edited by Tazz_uk (Sat 11-Feb-17 20:33:25)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BarkingMad
(learned) Sat 11-Feb-17 20:42:34
Print Post

Re: Switching from BT due to April price rise

[re: Tazz_uk] [link to this post]

I'm a little frustrated with the repeated price rises and the constant need to haggle. The deals also cause problems with LRS being 12 months and BB being say 18, meaning the end dates only coincide every 36 months.
Standard User BarkingMad
(learned) Sat 11-Feb-17 20:49:52
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Thanks Oliver341,

How does my new ISP know about my 14 day notice period?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-17 20:50:51
Print Post

Can you just move the broadband and keep the LRS?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-17 21:49:31
Print Post

How does my new ISP know about my 14 day notice period?

It's the new ISP that will trigger the 14 day notice period. The only time it's you that triggers the 14 day period is when you cease the connection without migrating.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sat 11-Feb-17 21:52:16)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-17 22:15:35
Print Post

I didn't need to haggle to get a £6 increase turned into a £12 decrease fixed for 24 months. Their retentions guy was very eager to oblige. smile

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User LadFromWales85
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-17 09:23:07
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

But it's not fixed is if, as the next blanket price rise will apply to you again...

AAISP 80/20
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-17 12:36:26
Print Post

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

Nope.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User BarkingMad
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 13:35:50
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Thanks Gomezz, my Inf 1 was fixed at £18 for 18 months, but I'm still subject to the £2.50 price rise frown

My current offer from BT, is a new smart hub and Inf 1 + LR for £39.49. Take off £18.99 for LR means BB is £20.5. The only offer is the smart hub which I admit would be an upgrade from HH3 but 6 months down the line, I'd expect to see more price increases from BT - based on their performance over the last 2-3 years.
Standard User BarkingMad
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 13:40:06
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Batboy, any suggestions for Inf #1 unlimited switch? Most providers want HP+BB these days. frown

My LRS runs out begiinng of Aug, and if I wait until the end of the 30 day notification window and there is a 14 migration window, then I'm looking at 4 months of loss for LRS.
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-17 13:41:41
Print Post

Increasing prices so often surely can't be profitable for them when the contract you have with them allows you to leave early without penalty.
But then, I'd imagine most customers don't leave and just take it.

£39.49 for Infinity 1 and a new Smart Hub over 18 months when people are being offered Infinity 2 for £37.49 over 18 months? Is the Hub really worth paying that much extra for?

AAISP 80/20
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-17 14:47:07
Print Post

Do I recall TBB posts sometime last year to the effect that LRS balances had to be refunded if the customer decided to leave following a price increase? Ofcom took the view that in this circumstance losing one's LRS balance would be unlawful hindrance to free movement between ISPs.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 17:42:24
Print Post

I was 10 months into a 12 month offer for infinity 1 at £10 per month plus line rental.

I'm switching to Sky with 40/10 broadband for £21 including line rental. (£10 line rental and £11 broadband - line rental price is for 12 months and broadband is for 18 months)

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User sidneyk
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-17 21:56:37
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
I was 10 months into a 12 month offer for infinity 1 at £10 per month plus line rental.

I'm switching to Sky with 40/10 broadband for £21 including line rental. (£10 line rental and £11 broadband - line rental price is for 12 months and broadband is for 18 months)

Is that a limited monthly bandwidth deal ?

Plusnet
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 22:01:25
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:

BT retentions are offering infinity 1 including line rental at £25.99 a month to people who have an open order to migrate to another ISP. Myself and a lot on BT forum have been offered this.

If you have already placed the order with sky, BT can see that, now they will offer you a far better deal if you ring and ask for cancellations.

All deals are 24 months.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 12-Feb-17 22:01:48)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 07:05:40
Print Post

[re: sidneyk] [link to this post]

No it's the unlimited 40/10 rather than the 25GB capped product.

I was in my final month of my TV contract so when renegotiating that I asked what he could offer on sky broadband.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 18:39:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
BT retentions are offering infinity 1 including line rental at £25.99 a month to people who have an open order to migrate to another ISP. Myself and a lot on BT forum have been offered this.

If you have already placed the order with sky, BT can see that, now they will offer you a far better deal if you ring and ask for cancellations.

All deals are 24 months.

In my case it was Infinity 2 + line rental for £35.49 but only for 18 months

Standard User BarkingMad
(learned) Mon 13-Feb-17 20:46:19
Print Post

Interesting, so place the transfer order and then call BT within 14 day cooling off period to get a better deal. Not sure how the £25.99 which includes line rental would work with my outstanding line rental in advance

I thought that once the order was placed it was against the rules for BT to offer better deal. I suppose it must be ok if I start the conversation by calling BT, instead of them calling me

I suppose it would still be subject to the bi/tri annual increases we have seen over the last few years
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Feb-17 21:39:37
Print Post

I thought that once the order was placed it was against the rules for BT to offer better deal. I suppose it must be ok if I start the conversation by calling BT, instead of them calling me
Exactly right smile.

If you call them they can talk turkey. They cannot initiate anything except they have to let you know what charges (if any) you will incur from them on leaving.

You have 10 working days for you to contact your new ISP and cancel. In practice that is 10 calendar days as two or three days before the move date it gets too late to stop the migration at the wholesale/Openreach levels.

The only two (IIRC) times your current ISP can cancel/stop the migration is if you are being slammed by the new one, or when you tell the new one you wish to cancel and they refuse to accept that.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Feb-17 23:18:14
Print Post

Generally speaking ring 0800 800150
Say cancellations as the reason for your call.

Let them know you are considering moving to an alternative ISP if they do not offer a good retentions deal. Do not be afraid to ask if they can speak with a manager for a better deal. Definitely do not take the first price.

In my case, I called and got offered a bad deal so I placed an order with TalkTalk. I then rang BT cancellations a day later and suddenly they offered me all these great deals.

£25.99 for infinity 1 is what I have. My TV is £12.50 unfortunately so total cost around £38.50 including TV.

As for the line rental, that should be fine, they gave me the option to pay line rental a year ahead with a reduction in the overall price. I declined this time around.

I did have to ring TalkTalk to cancel that order and then ring BT back again to take the offer, bit of faffing around but we got there.
Standard User sidneyk
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-17 00:55:16
Print Post

Based on price alone I have just signed up to BT tonight

£29.99/mth
£9.00 router postage
£150 master card payback
currently tracking £110 with Quidco
52/10 package - 12 mth
inc weekend calls

with the £150 mastercard deducted it effectively makes the deal £18+/mth
if Quidco tracks & pays £110 then it effectively makes the deal <£10/mth

Here's Hoping

Plusnet
Standard User SuperOwl
(regular) Tue 14-Feb-17 11:38:19
Print Post

[re: sidneyk] [link to this post]

I got the email last night for the price rise just logged onto my offers page and got £33.49 for infinity 2 for 18 months.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Feb-17 13:15:56
Print Post

Is this price rise just for Infinity 1?

As you are aware I am on Infinity 4 and we haven't had any emails from BT referring to price rises.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
(committed) Tue 14-Feb-17 15:16:16
Print Post

[re: SuperOwl] [link to this post]

Are you already on Infinity 2?
Still only an offer of £37.49/18mth on my mum's account for Infinity 2, but she's on Infinity 1 atm.

AAISP 80/20
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Feb-17 15:18:18
Print Post

I'm on Infinity 2 and already had a discounted rate that lasted until May. The offer was another £3 off bringing it down to £33.49 as mentioned earlier. So, it looks like it may just be for Infinity 2 customers or maybe they rate customers by spend/longevity - they obviously have some calculations going on in the background offering different amounts to different people.
(committed) Tue 14-Feb-17 15:40:42
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Will probably get her to ring cancellations and quote the deal you've had and see if they'll get closer!
She has LRS though so unsure how that'll affect her.
Her current deal is the one MSE did around April last year, come with a cheque along with the reward card, so not too long left on the 12 month contract.

AAISP 80/20
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-17 15:51:28
Print Post

[re: SuperOwl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SuperOwl:
I got the email last night for the price rise just logged onto my offers page and got £33.49 for infinity 2 for 18 months.

They offered me a £2 discount a month so dropped it to £46,99 from the current £48,99

Laughable. I'll keep my 30 days notice in place. It's up in 6 days anyway
Standard User SuperOwl
(regular) Tue 14-Feb-17 16:12:01
Print Post

No we are currently on Infinity 1 we joined this time last year but had an offer 2 months later aswell when they did the speed bump.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Feb-17 19:11:07
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Have you called my retentions online is terrible for Infinity 1.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-17 21:38:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Have you called my retentions online is terrible for Infinity 1.

No. I am letting them go on the 22nd. Not going to bother with 2 lines anymore, no longer needed
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Feb-17 21:38:48
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
In reply to a post by SuperOwl:

They offered me a £2 discount a month so dropped it to £46,99 from the current £48,99

Laughable. I'll keep my 30 days notice in place. It's up in 6 days anyway
Status update, my first bill arrived and the contract length and the price were inaccurate. After a few hours speaking with generic CS, where they dropped the hint I was not being truthful I spoke with the CEO team and got my services cancelled. Moving to Virginmedia, probably a mistake given my past congestion issues on VM but we will soon find out! Either way, I can always switch again. smile

I'd say to anyone here be very alert of your bills, check and double check!
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Wed 01-Mar-17 23:44:33
Print Post

I'm on black friday infinity 1 £26 (plus call package)
After price rise £28.50

Called cancellation line was offered infinity 1 for £31.50 18 months? Which is considerably worse than just taking the price rise?

Ummed and erred but after lots of waiting while he claimed to consult said there was nothing they could do. Denied I would get line rental back but eventually demurred.

So went to EE for £26.80 and £150 quidco.

I have worked out that with two cashbacks, one prepaid credit card and two setup fees, 4 months with BT and 18 with EE it could work out as £20.22 a month including their £6.50 call package!

Which is really pretty remarkably cheap for fibre. But I wish BT had just honoured their deal and saved me the hassle.

Oh and just after signing up I found EE have cancelled their email servers. No SMTP for me. Sigh.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 01-Mar-17 23:56:10
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
Oh and just after signing up I found EE have cancelled their email servers. No SMTP for me. Sigh.
You could sign up for an instant domain from 1and1 which gives you email and SMTP here and now and have it up and running before 1am.

Alternatively a domain and hosting package with Tsohost, which also gives you webspace and the ability to host a second domain in the some hosting package. Again, up and running within minutes.

Have a read. (Slightly out of date but valid overall).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Mar-17 01:55:26
Print Post

I've paid LRS so trying to minimise my loss with BT.

Just on this point - BT have confirmed they will refund unused months of LRS if customers are leaving due to the price rises.

see https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-price-...

However, as others have said you can generally get a good deal by calling BT..
Standard User BarkingMad
(learned) Thu 09-Mar-17 19:54:31
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link. Spoke with customer options yesterday and best offer for unlimited inf 1 was £38.99

Operator said LRS would be refunded

Placed order with new isp.

Today, received email from BT about my leave. It said LRS would not be refunded. Called the number on the email and it was confirmed that the email was incorrect. I'd expect BT to be able to get emails correct given this isn't the first price rise that we have had with the option to switch due to price increases.

Was offered same service for 24 months at £25.99

Perhaps the email error is part of the plot to save the customer from leaving. If the email had been correct I wouldn't have been offered a £13 a month discount on their best price given to me yesterday
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Fri 10-Mar-17 12:52:50
Print Post

I've been with BT years and had a few problems with them: you just have to be firm and insistent when they give you bull. To that end, I use an application called ACR, which records conversations - two ways - on my mobile. I wait until I'm a little into the conversation and then tell them that the conversation is being recorded: everything goes fine after that, as they cannot deny any bull that they may have given you!
Cheers, Les.
Standard User redbutcher
(learned) Fri 10-Mar-17 13:21:19
Print Post

I ended up leaving due to the price rise - offers they gave me were OK, but could get cashback with Sky and they sweetened the deal with £50 account credit as well (already have TV with them anyway). Switch to Sky was fine, though needed a new cable from the pole which has given me a cleaner line thanks to a very decent Openreach engineer who sorted that out for me.

BT have since taken out the full normal monthly amount from my account despite the bill saying I only owed them £4 - will await to see if they refund the difference. My Sky service is as good as it was on Infinity 2 (though slightly better I guess with the new cable).

Then BT Infinity 2 79999/19999
Now Sky Fibre Max 79999/19999
(experienced) Fri 10-Mar-17 15:26:14
Print Post

[re: redbutcher] [link to this post]

Why did you need a new cable? You were getting 80/20 on Infinity 2, and the link between you and your cab would have been exactly the same regardless of provider??

Standard User redbutcher
(learned) Fri 10-Mar-17 16:22:17
Print Post

Voice wasn't working so once openreach engineer had sorted out that and ran some tests it showed a loop fault. The old cable was corroded so he replaced it which sorted out the fault.

Then BT Infinity 2 79999/19999
Now Sky Fibre Max 79999/19999
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to