Phone Line Noise
1. Had numerous engineer call outs last year in 2016, and each one slowly resolved an issue somewhere along the line between my home and the exchange.
2. Master Socket was moved free of charge from the Kitchen to the Living Room, and appeared to help a bit with the random noise issue, but noise still occasionally comes back up.
3. Last Engineer noticed on their device connected on the line around 30m mark that there's an issue, but was in the theory that it might have been DLM messing around with the line and hence the info shown on the device. So they didn't head out to look at the 30m mark of the line to see if there was any issues.
4. Using 17070 option 2 for the Quiet Line test is mostly clear, but occasionally some random noise comes on but not always. Appears to be partly weather impacted, but can never prove it here except for heavy weather (rain or wind or massive temperature changes).
Home Hub 5a
1. My Cabinet happens to be a Huawei so HH5 is not going to have g.inp capabilities. Is this an issue for the HH5a? Currently, over the last week or two with the bad weather, I have had numerous dropouts of the line, mostly as "CWMP: session closed due to error: No response" from the HH5a. So I am unsure if these are linked or not.
2. The HH5a is on the "22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.11" firmware update, and I am aware that the next update was removed from being pushed to HH5a devices.
1. Infinity 2 was activated from 2014.
1. Contract is up to August 2017. For Infinity 2.
2. Originally had 74/20, got shunted down to 60-68/20 last year, but recent DC's I think caused DLM to shift me to 47/14, far lower than what I should be getting on estimates.
1. Should I call BT up and request a new HH5b or Smart Hub? Will this likely solve the HH5a calling in issues and causing DLM to drop me down in speeds? And what are the chances I can get it for free now my original contract from 2014 is over and on a new one right now?
2. Should I get my own router or modem instead? Heard many reports of users using other devices to prevent the HH from dialing home checking for updates and deciding instead it needs to DC the line. Far more stable. Thoughts on this?
3. Should I call BT out for a check on the line? I worry about this one as although the issue is likely outside related, there isn't really a consistent way to catch the random noise on the line affecting Infinity. Also, if I do go this route, what should I report this under?
:: editing in BT HH5a stats ::
6. Data rate: 14997 / 46901
7. Maximum data rate: 27170 / 69919
8. Noise margin: 12.3 / 11.3
9. Line attenuation: 17.0 / 15.2
10. Signal attenuation: 16.4 / 15.2
Previously the Noise Margin is much lower. ~7.1 with Maximum data rate at 76 and actual Data Rate at 72 at least. But now the recent DC'ing has dropped me to the ones above.
Further info: From memory, I believe the last Engineer said that the line was around 400-500 meters.
Edited by J1NG (Tue 07-Mar-17 16:48:42)