User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User crule
(learned) Fri 31-Mar-17 10:13:12
Print Post

Ip Address and DL Speed

[link to this post]

I wonder if anyone can explain this.
I am at the end of a long old copper run (about 4km).
I use a Billion 7800DXL router as it is the only one that gives any hope of a useable connection.
I am finding that if the router connects via an Ip address in the range 31.50.238.** I get a sub 2Mbts connection but if it picks up an Ip address in the range 86.142.77.** I get about 3.9Mbts. The SNR does not change so it would seem that DLM is not to blame, the line attenuation is steady at 40.5db
I leave the router on all the time and never disconnect. as long as I have what I would term my "normal" download speed. . If for some reason the Ip address changes.(never instigated at my end) and I get a slow Ip I wait 14 days and the disconnect/reconnect and hope to pick up a "good" ip.
This is and has been repeatable over a long time.
Can anyone offer any explanation or advice.
Many thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Mar-17 10:16:40
Print Post

Re: Ip Address and DL Speed

[re: crule] [link to this post]

Are you talking about actual sync speeds or speed checker results?

The IP address is set AFTER the sync and so has no bearing on sync rates. There is either a coincidence going on or it is speed tests you are comparing and perhaps the slower IPs are on more congested backhaul - but I don't believe that the IP is causally relevant and would say there is something else going on here.
Standard User crule
(learned) Fri 31-Mar-17 10:22:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ian
In many ways I would agree but it is the repeatibilty over a long time frame (over 1 Year) which i find frustrating.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Mar-17 10:24:27
Print Post

I don't disagree that you are seeing it - but the IP is set after the sync and so cannot be the cause of that.

Can you post full stats from both the high and low speed events so that we can see what is happening there?
Standard User crule
(learned) Fri 31-Mar-17 11:31:31
Print Post

Hi
The best I can do is these speed test Results

Low
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

High
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Regarding any further Stats i am not sur how to do that.
#
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Mar-17 11:46:20
Print Post

It to me sounds like a throughput related issue Unless it's due to some oddity going on with the IP profile? assuming it's BTW based, I can vaguely recall seeing something similar years ago when on the up to 8mb max with Tiscali, that was likely down to them, not buying enough resources from BTW
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Mar-17 11:48:20
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Pretty clear to me, provider has a big network with multiple routes through it, and if user is on one segment performance is bad, on another its fine.

So nothing to do with connection medium but all to do with how provider is managing its own network elements

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Mar-17 11:54:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Agreed, which is what I was saying in my initial response even before the tests were posted...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 31-Mar-17 12:06:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by crule:
Hi
The best I can do is these speed test Results
The SNR does not change so it would seem that DLM is not to blame, the line attenuation is steady at 40.5db
The connection speeds, possibly called sync rate or line rate, are normally on the line above those two figures.

All three lines read at the same time would be useful smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User crule
(learned) Fri 31-Mar-17 12:57:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestions
From The router at the moment on a Normal connection
All on the Downstream side
Output power 19.9dbm
attenuation 40.5db
Attainable rate 4508kbs
Rate 4800 kbs