User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LadFromWales85
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 19:36:34
Print Post

BT native IPv6

[link to this post]

Has IPv6 been rolled out across the network yet?

I have been unable to obtain a prefix delegation, and have instead resorted to using a HE 6to4 tunnel.
My router (routerboard) sends the solicit request for a PD but gets no response at all.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Apr-17 20:19:03
Print Post

Re: BT native IPv6

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

My Hub 6 shows me as IPv6.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 01-Apr-17 21:13:54
Print Post

Mine did - when I had it a few weeks ago. I had 6 but only with the HH6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Apr-17 00:50:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
My Hub 6 shows me as IPv6.

I think its hit and miss with BT.
I say this due to I had IPv6 enabled before the last automated reboot of my Smart Hub and now I don't have it, shown below:
Hub IPv6 status: Enabled
IPv6 network status: Disabled

IPv6 WAN details
Global unicast address: Not available
Global unicast prefix / length: Not available
Link local address: hidden
Remote link local address: hidden
DNS: Not available

I wish BT would make their minds up.

I normally do a manual reboot when it doesn't setup IPv6, but this time I haven't had the chance.

*** update ***
Well now after several reboots of my Smart Hub I still don't have IPv6, which sucks.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Sun 02-Apr-17 01:29:45)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Apr-17 10:43:31
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Well I just got a response from BT Care via Twitter:

Hi Paul

Sending a DM so I've more characters. This has been looked into and we've been advised - "IPv6 has been enabled on the majority of our network since 21st Oct 2016 and is enabled on our new Smart Hub. We are experiencing an intermittent fault where IPv6 is showing as disabled on the network and then reappearing. We are working to fix this. This will not affect your connectivity as an IPv4 address will continue to be available.

So that's why it keeps disappearing and reappearing all the time.

From what I can see in my Smart Hub logs, when it works I can see DHCPv6 logs to do with Solicit, Advertise, Request, Confirmation of Request, Reply, now when it not working those logs are not to be seen.

So it might be an issue in BT's Network or it might be a Smart Hub issue.

*** update ***

I was told they have no fix date as yet, so this might take a while.

They also referred me to a post on the BT Community Forums:
https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/...

So they are aware of the issue.

Paul

TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Sun 02-Apr-17 11:36:45)

Standard User LadFromWales85
(experienced) Tue 04-Apr-17 15:13:35
Print Post

Well, it's good to know that it's not just me! But, native IPv6 hasn't worked at all for me since I connected mid Feb.
I can't imagine I'd get far reporting this as a fault, as even if I got through to someone who understands that there is a difference between IPv4 and IPv6, the response would likely be something like "well you can still use the Internet because you have IPv4", which is true for the most part, but services are beginning to take advantage of IPv6 now, consoles etc.

Native IPv6 was one of the reasons I selected BT vs some other providers, so it is disappointing that it isn't working for me.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Apr-17 16:15:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
Well, it's good to know that it's not just me! But, native IPv6 hasn't worked at all for me since I connected mid Feb.
I can't imagine I'd get far reporting this as a fault, as even if I got through to someone who understands that there is a difference between IPv4 and IPv6, the response would likely be something like "well you can still use the Internet because you have IPv4", which is true for the most part, but services are beginning to take advantage of IPv6 now, consoles etc.

This is what BTCare said to me via Twitter, while this is true, it doesn't help me due to the software / game I am developing required IPv6 where I was working on that side of things.

So now I have to put that on hold and work on another section of it, which is fine.

The last time IPv6 was working was the last reboot which was on 06:26:01 27 Mar, sadly we had a power trip and IPv6 is now no longer working and I cannot see any DHCPv6 in the logs after the above date.

In reply to a post by LadFromWales85:
Native IPv6 was one of the reasons I selected BT vs some other providers, so it is disappointing that it isn't working for me.

Well we chose BT due to only 3 ISP's supplies FTTP for the home at the speed we wanted and BT was the cheapest.

We could of gone the business route and had more of a choice, but that would of cost even more.

Paul

TBB Speedtest
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Apr-17 13:27:51
Print Post

Well this is interesting...

I have tried rebooting my Smart Hub several time over the last few days and still no IPv6 issued.
Anyway I just brought myself a FRITZ!Box 4040 Router, which is basically only a router and has no modem.

This comes with a 1Gbit WAN Port and 4 1Gbit Ethernet Ports and a couple of USB2 and USB3 ports and that's it.

Sadly this model isn't for the UK hence it only comes with the standard 2 pin European plug on the PSU.
Lucky I already had a FRITZ!Box 3390 ADSL/VDSL Modem / Router that came with a UK plug on the PSU, luckily it was the same voltage and polarity but with a higher power rating which helps.

Anyway after I configured everything up, turned off features I didn't want and nail it down as secure as possible, I noticed that IPv6 was working again, I was like BT must of fixed the issue, so I thought I would try the Smart Hub once again, sadly no IPv6, so a few more reboots and still no IPv6.

Connetced up the FRITZ 4040 and IPv6 was enabled, did several reboots etc and every time it had IPv6.

So from that conclusion I am thinking BT's IPv6 issue must be an intermittent Smart Hub issue that has a hissy fit with BT's DHCPv6 Servers.

I have stuck with the new 4040 due to its not sluggish at all even when connection is at full load which is good, it also comes with a great Wi-Fi Scanner to see what channels are in use and how many are using them.

This also means I can have the BQM running on my connection now where as before with BT's Hubs I haven't be able.

I might use the Smart Hub as a Wi-Fi point at the back of our home.

So overall its a win win smile

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Apr-17 13:47:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

But not much of a win for people who want IPv6 on BT without spending out on new kit.

I haven't seen IPv6 drop out once on my Sky connection with an SR102.

Oliver.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Apr-17 14:03:56
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:

But not much of a win for people who want IPv6 on BT without spending out on new kit.

Well I was holding off buying this, but due to needing IPv6 at the moment, I forked out £94, I am sure you can get it cheaper off ebay, but not knowing what plug came on the PSU I got it from Amazon, that way is an issue Amazon can deal with it.

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
I haven't seen IPv6 drop out once on my Sky connection with an SR102.

Well that's the issue there are people using the Smart Hub on a BT connection and IPv6 is fine, it was for me for a while, then it would just loose it, then it would come back and now it just doesn't want to work on my Smart Hub.

So it must be an intermittent compatibility issue between the two, that's all I can guess.

Like I have already said I think, I use to get DHCPv6 logs in my Smart Hub when it was working, but I am now no longer getting them no matter how many times I reboot the hub.

Now on the FRITZ!Box 4040 I can see in the logs it requesting for an IPv6 address from BT's DHCPv6 Servers on every reboot, so it seems to me its an issue with the DHCPv6 Client on the Smart Hubs at fault.

But yeah, my bother is with Zen for his FTTC connection and his IPv6 is working fine.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to