User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jawdrops
(member) Sun 02-Apr-17 20:18:24
Print Post

BT Whole Home WIFI

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,
Just thought I'd let you know that this weekend I took delivery of the BT Whole Home WIFI kit & if like me you'd been looking for some genuine end user reviews, I thought this may help. To cut to the chase I've now got good and reliable wifi across the 3 floors of my house. This is something I've not managed to achieve despite multiple purchases and lots of time spent with various routers, wifi transmitters/receivers, powerline adaptors (85Mbps and 500Mbps sets) including wifi extenders etc.

I'm not a BT employee or representative!

I know there are cheaper ways of doing this but if running cables is not for you / your property and if you haven't lots of 'hobby' time then these represent a good (albeit simple and expensive) solution to an issue you (like me) may have had for a few years.

Pros
Easy to setup
Good speed achieved (I've seen speeds >40Mbps in a room 2 floors down in the house)
Pain free roaming between discs
Good (if simple) app (hopefully it will develop)
True extension of your network (useful if you want to control other devices on you wired network - e.g. Sonos equipment)
Easy to move discs to trouble shoot best location
Good LED indicators that can be switched off once you've tuned your setup
No cloud infrastructure sign -in /potential to remove service(?)
ISP provider agnostic

Cons
BT ordering process (don't ask - eventually I ordered off Amazon)
Still not fast enough for the BT vision box to remain jitter free on BT Sport (not sure why - still investigating!)

Things I'd like to see
Ability to add more discs (Coming soon according to one post)
Guest accounts
Fon accounts (& ability to switvh off Fon at HH6)
Smaller Plugs (really do stick out too much)
Colour options (Black to match the Hub?)
Ceiling mounting option
Scheduling of wifi pausings
Control of individual discs (e.g. LED Lights)

I'm sure the market will get more competitive, but for me these discs deliver a reliable solution that hopefully will grow as more sophistication is added.

Feel free to ask more questions but please spare us all the rants about price, only you can decide if they're worth it for you!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Apr-17 06:57:38
Print Post

Re: BT Whole Home WIFI

[re: jawdrops] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thank you for the post.

You mention 40 meg speeds, but what is the speed being provided at the router ?

A slim hope since you mention Sonos, but do you have a stand alone internet radio, how does it fare ?

Standard User jawdrops
(member) Mon 03-Apr-17 18:49:45
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi,
Zarjaz I typically get circa 55Mbps in my loft room where the router is located.
On internet radio, you're right, I normally use a Sonos and that goes over its own network, however, I know I've an old Roku wifi streamer around, so if I get a chance I'll try streaming radio over that to test it.
Regards
jawdrops

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Apr-17 20:10:33
Print Post

Thank you.

I mention it because ...http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4530273-pure-evoke-f3.html

I put the 6 back on as it appears the weird outage was a firmware update ..... and the Evoke will have none of it. Will keep the 6 on because in every other respect it is better than the 5.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Apr-17 21:34:52
Print Post

Have you tried changing to wireless mode 2 and 3 as per my other post? Just to rule that out.

Disabled smart setup?

Manually assigning channel 1, 6 and 11? See if any of those connect you up?

Otherwise have you tried a full reset?
Standard User jawdrops
(member) Mon 03-Apr-17 22:52:22
Print Post

Hi Zarjaz,
The Roku device is streaming radio perfectly, 2 floors down from the router (and Disc 1) and circa15 foot across the lounge. I have Disc 2 on the middle floor and Disc 3 (connecting the Roku wifi) on the ground. Disc 3 is connecting via Disc 2, so the mesh seems to be working. I'm also on a BT HH 6.

Hope this helps.
jawdrops
Standard User arobertson545
(member) Mon 03-Jul-17 23:04:04
Print Post

How are you finding this system now?
Standard User pipcoo
(newbie) Tue 04-Jul-17 08:40:40
Print Post

I am seriously considering getting this system so would also be interested in an update on your experience after using it for a few months.
Standard User arobertson545
(member) Tue 04-Jul-17 09:58:28
Print Post

[re: pipcoo] [link to this post]

What I hope they release is something similar to what NETGEAR has done with units you can plug right into wall sockets.
Standard User mrdjmo
(newbie) Sun 16-Jul-17 13:07:00
Print Post

I have a 3 disk set up in my home - I've disabled my HH wifi - so no FON but.

The disk's work flawlessly and I have two of them set up off power line adapters and they still work perfectly 99% of the time.

Sync Speed is 80Mb down and 20mb up I get between 65mb-75mb depending how close I am to a home hub.

I have two on the lower floor and one on the 2nd floor with a bedroom on the 3rd floor and coverage is excellent.

They don't have any guest account access or MAC addressing filtering all of this needs to be done through the HH.

Overall I'm very pleased with my set up.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to