User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 07-Apr-17 15:41:10
Print Post

Re: Central London ADSL Downgrade

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
House price does not correlate with disposable income.

So explain why the area with the highest property prices in the UK is the same area with the highest average disposable income per head?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindi...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/regionalaccounts/gros...
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 07-Apr-17 15:46:28
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

I should have added that Openreach has been running a special offer for those on Chelsea exchange, with free FTTC for 6 months (which I believe has possibly been extended now) and free installation.

Obviously it's up to ISPs to pass this on and I have no idea if any have.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Apr-17 15:52:14
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

You are taking averages and assuming therefore that it applies to the OP. I am pointing out that is not necessarily the case as none of us know the OPs financial position. You just assume that because the average is high that they must be able to afford it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 07-Apr-17 15:57:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I am pointing out house price is highly correlated to disposable income.

No one is forced to live in the most expensive area in the UK. Internet access is regarded as a basic utility these days, like water and electricity. If you cannot afford internet access because you are living in the most expensive area in the UK, then I cannot show much sympathy because someone lives beyond their means.
Standard User TheEulerID
(experienced) Fri 07-Apr-17 15:58:05
Print Post

[re: ajseeds] [link to this post]

OpenReach are under continuous regulatory pressure to reduce costs. Wholesale line costs are reducing in real terms, FTTC 40/10 prices are to be reduced by 40%. All against a background where there are major business rates increases, especially in expensive parts of the UK, like central London, where they are sky-rocketing.

Having fewer exchanges will also reduce costs for other operators too. You have faster alternatives, which may cost a few quid more (which ought to reduce as FTTC wholesale prices go down). Get used to it. Economic logic and regulatory pressures push things that way.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Fri 07-Apr-17 16:04:47
Print Post

[re: ajseeds] [link to this post]

Why is this happening, BTW? Is it cost related? Why would exchanges be shutting down? How would the phone number still work if the line was routed to another exchange?

Sync: 34590/7863 Kbps.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Fri 07-Apr-17 16:05:14)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 07-Apr-17 16:05:18
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

The landlord did not renew the lease for BT for the Chelsea exchange, so their hands were tied. This has happened multiple times in London where the freehold owner can redevelop the site into commercial/residential property and see a far greater return on their asset.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Apr-17 16:11:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
'Let's not forget a tonne of people in Chelsea cannot get fibre also'

So which cabinets on the Chelsea exchange do not have VDSL2 available? And which postcodes cannot get superfast on WRCHEL?
Have edited the post as it was misleading, I have a couple of friends who are unable to get fibre. This granted was when they moved in a year ago, and they are south ken. EO line.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Apr-17 16:12:22
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

When your landlord decides not to renew your lease you do not have much choice.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Apr-17 16:14:11
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

WRSKEN exchange does still have EO lines, and also cabinets without VDSL2

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to