User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrdjmo
(newbie) Mon 17-Apr-17 09:26:18
Print Post

Advice House Move with BT (Problems)

[link to this post]

I notified BT of our house move on the 7th of April 2 weeks prior to us moving, they explained that that was fine and would look to re-instate our connection on the 7th in the new house on the same day, I thought at the time that this was too good to be true and how right I was.

BT then contacted me on the same day to advise that this was now no longer possible as a new line would be needed, I understood this and instead of the 7th of April go live it would now be pushed back to the 12th of April where a Open-reach engineer would need to visit the house to install a new line.

Again full understanding this we arranged for someone to be home that day, all went fine engineer turned up installed new line at exchange set up land line and left explaining that our fiber connection could take until midnight to activate.

Midnight came and went with no connection, the next day I was back in work and managed to check my BT account, which had the wrong telephone number attached to my account, It looks like BT had created two numbers to port out products over they have set one up for our landline calls and a separate one for our Fiber connection. Again mistakes happen I phoned up customer services and explained the issues, they stated that this had now been ported and Fibre would go live that night.

Again midnight came and went and nothing, we are now on the 15th of April and we received an email starting that the go live will now be the 24th of Aptil!!! I phoned customer services and a "complaints manager" has already been assigned to us prior to my call (no surprise there)

BT are flat out refusing to sort this out prior to the 24th of April, has anyone else had any luck getting BT to move go live dates? I feel this is unfair considering the amount of information I gave them on the house move and they have messed up over and over again.

Any help would be appreciated on this matter

Thanks

Dan
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Apr-17 12:40:46
Print Post

Re: Advice House Move with BT (Problems)

[re: mrdjmo] [link to this post]

Provisions generally run in a 3 to 4 week window, so nothing looks unduly unusual, of course if promised install on a date then you can hold the retailer to account, BT Consumer has no special visibility of when Openreach can install, so as with other providers they should only advise probable dates and then return with confirmation once Openreach has confirmed things with them.

Trying to move things now is more likely to confuse things further.

Being frank two weeks would be cutting it fine for a property that needs a new line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Apr-17 12:54:57
Print Post

[re: mrdjmo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrdjmo:
I notified BT of our house move on the 7th of April 2 weeks prior to us moving, they explained that that was fine and would look to re-instate our connection on the 7th in the new house on the same day, I thought at the time that this was too good to be true and how right I was.

BT then contacted me on the same day to advise that this was now no longer possible as a new line would be needed, I understood this and instead of the 7th of April go live it would now be pushed back to the 12th of April where a Open-reach engineer would need to visit the house to install a new line. The timeframes given a new line do not seem all that bad.

Again full understanding this we arranged for someone to be home that day, all went fine engineer turned up installed new line at exchange set up land line and left explaining that our fiber connection could take until midnight to activate.

Midnight came and went with no connection, the next day I was back in work and managed to check my BT account, which had the wrong telephone number attached to my account, It looks like BT had created two numbers to port out products over they have set one up for our landline calls and a separate one for our Fiber connection. Again mistakes happen I phoned up customer services and explained the issues, they stated that this had now been ported and Fibre would go live that night.

Again midnight came and went and nothing, we are now on the 15th of April and we received an email starting that the go live will now be the 24th of Aptil!!! I phoned customer services and a "complaints manager" has already been assigned to us prior to my call (no surprise there)

BT are flat out refusing to sort this out prior to the 24th of April, has anyone else had any luck getting BT to move go live dates? I feel this is unfair considering the amount of information I gave them on the house move and they have messed up over and over again.

Thanks

Dan
Not ideal, although it becomes complicated as the people leaving the property will have likely cancelled the line with their service provider. This then marks the line you are taking over as to be disconnected... Hence, then you need a new line. I have moved so many times I have lost track over the past few years, last time I moved it took around 2 weeks to get the new line setup and working accurately from when I moved in. I placed my order a couple of weeks before the move like you.

It does sound like a mess up with the numbers has occurred though. Worth chasing that.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 17-Apr-17 12:55:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrdjmo
(newbie) Mon 17-Apr-17 15:20:00
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
In reply to a post by mrdjmo:

BT then contacted me on the same day to advise that this was now no longer possible as a new line would be needed, I understood this and instead of the 7th of April go live it would now be pushed back to the 12th of April where a Open-reach engineer would need to visit the house to install a new line. The timeframes given a new line do not seem all that bad.

Thanks

Dan
Not ideal, although it becomes complicated as the people leaving the property will have likely cancelled the line with their service provider. This then marks the line you are taking over as to be disconnected... Hence, then you need a new line. I have moved so many times I have lost track over the past few years, last time I moved it took around 2 weeks to get the new line setup and working accurately from when I moved in. I placed my order a couple of weeks before the move like you.

It does sound like a mess up with the numbers has occurred though. Worth chasing that.

Cheers - I understand it's complex moving property, especially to be told twice your go live should happen and then having to chase is not ideal, I'll speak to BT tomorrow see if I can get any sense, cheers for your help both.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Apr-17 16:49:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Provisions generally run in a 3 to 4 week window, so nothing looks unduly unusual, of course if promised install on a date then you can hold the retailer to account, BT Consumer has no special visibility of when Openreach can install, so as with other providers they should only advise probable dates and then return with confirmation once Openreach has confirmed things with them.

Trying to move things now is more likely to confuse things further.

Being frank two weeks would be cutting it fine for a property that needs a new line.

I am not having a go at BT or anything, but BT can send an engineer out for the next day if they choose to do so, they did for me for my fibre install.

Granted I had an Exec Complaints, the chairman's office, the CEO and my local MP on the case, and BT booked an engineer for the next day for the external work and the day after for the internal work, so they can do it if they really want too.

Now maybe I was lucky and there was two free slots available, but I very much doubt it, I think they really wanted to shut me up due to being on their case for the last 5 years tongue

For the OP, keep notes of the missed visits, you can get compensated for them later.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Apr-17 18:41:35
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Here in London you can get 7 days via exec / chairman level. That's what they offered to me when a cease was placed on the line by accident... Was much better than the month standard wait. Luckily in the end I did not get ceased as they managed to prevent it.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 17-Apr-17 18:46:19)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Apr-17 22:01:32
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Here in London you can get 7 days via exec / chairman level. That's what they offered to me when a cease was placed on the line by accident... Was much better than the month standard wait. Luckily in the end I did not get ceased as they managed to prevent it.

Well I was orig given the few days later (for external work) and then a week later (for internal work)

Then received a phone call a few hours later asking if I would like it moved forward to the next day (external work) and then a day after that (for internal work) so either they can if its dealt higher up, or maybe there was two cancelations which was then given to me.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Apr-17 08:54:49
Print Post

Or possibly they bumped other people's installs and those other people then had to wait a few weeks to get another install date? It is always possible to do a faster response if you are willing to drop the priority of other work - the question is what impact that has on the people who wanted the other work done.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Apr-17 20:21:09
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Or possibly they bumped other people's installs and those other people then had to wait a few weeks to get another install date? It is always possible to do a faster response if you are willing to drop the priority of other work - the question is what impact that has on the people who wanted the other work done.

That's exactly my point, they "can" book engineer visits at very short notice, that's what I was trying to say.

As for the impact, I don't know.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | BQM
Standard User mrdjmo
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 08:17:49
Print Post

Thank you all for your help with this

Complaints picked this up for me and advised that they would move the go live forward to yesterday but where unable to get a engineer so back to the 24th, (which I had to chase) It's been raised to the senior service team awaiting a call back today so hopefully it will be sorted by Monday.
  Print Thread

Jump to