User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User barker04
(member) Sat 06-May-17 11:54:24
Print Post

Keep home hub at end of contract?

[link to this post]

Coming to the end of my contract and wondering if its possible to keep the home hub free and use a wifi access point only (other ISP im moving to has a router with rubbish wifi) if I end up moving from BT?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-May-17 12:28:26
Print Post

Re: Keep home hub at end of contract?

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

They usually send a jiffy bag or some such, the implication being that they would wish it returned.*

*awaits the onslaught of 'Nah, just keep it' type posts.

Standard User pernickitypedant
(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 12:43:45
Print Post

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

It's your router, but they'll send you a jiffy bag to "recycle" it. In other words, they want the router that they've made you indirectly pay for back, so they can charge another person for it. Fat chance, BT!

It won't be much use on other networks, as most BT routers (and certainly the newer Smart Hub model) are locked to BT Retail, not even just BT Wholesale. So it's not much use anyway. My advice - sell it and get a bit of money for it.

Current connex, modem etc.:

Zyxel VMG8924-B10A VDSL2 modem/router & dual-line AAISP/Sipgate SIP modem

AAISP Home::1 80/20 150GB + copper pair on TTB backhaul (by request, Terabyte tariff when/if needed)

Sync 79987/19998 kbit/s, attainable ~88000/31000 kbit/s via 120-150m 1985 copper to ECI Cabinet 14, Milford Exchange (WMMFD)

BQM:
IPv4 & IPv6 (soon)

ISP Hx: Wanadoo ~2Mb (Orange takeover) > Freedom2Surf ~4Mb (TalkTalk takeover) > Virgin Media 10->30->50->70Mb (excess connex) > BT Inf 2 80Mb (04/17 rises, no offer) > Virgin Media 100Mb (awful pings) > AAISP 80Mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mml
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 18:58:59
Print Post

[re: pernickitypedant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pernickitypedant:
most BT routers (and certainly the newer Smart Hub model) are locked to BT Retail, not even just BT Wholesale.

If it happens to be a 5A series Hub, you can put your own firmware on it, and use it with any network.
Also, TalkTalk will let you online whatever the credentials, so BT Hubs and Sky Hubs all work on TT.
Standard User derekdel
(member) Sat 20-May-17 17:46:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Problem with that is I LOVE pulling things apart to see how they work, I presume the Jiffy bag is large enough for all the disassembled component parts?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-May-17 03:23:13
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mml:
most BT routers (and certainly the newer Smart Hub model) are locked to BT Retail, not even just BT Wholesale.

If it happens to be a 5A series Hub, you can put your own firmware on it, and use it with any network.
Also, TalkTalk will let you online whatever the credentials, so BT Hubs and Sky Hubs all work on TT.
My homehub would never work on my TT line, TT does not use IP Routing (PPP) & has no un/pw.

On the contray, the TT router can be set up to work on BT.

If you find it possible let us know how.
Standard User jdigz7
(learned) Sun 21-May-17 08:38:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I'm with Talk Talk Business. I think what he meant was you can supply any username and password on a TalkTalk FTTC connection and it authenticates you. Can confirm Homehubs Plusnet hubs and Skyhubs work on TT.

I believe this is not the case on ADSL with them however.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Sun 21-May-17 08:56:07
Print Post

[re: pernickitypedant] [link to this post]

My advice - sell it and get a bit of money for it.

That's what I did! I was nearly rich after sale!

Router in use: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Sun 21-May-17 08:57:56
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Really? Does that only apply to VDSL2? I always used a username and password when on their ADSL2+ service.

Router in use: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-May-17 10:27:02
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Take a talktalk fibre router out of the box. The setting does not have username / password option enabled.

You have to change it to IP routing (PPP) to enter one. It comes as IP routing (IP) out of the box. To be totally honest I don't know what the difference is, it's the only setting I had to change to get a talktalk router working on BT.

Granted all I have done is plug my home hub into the talktalk line, but it did not sync. It stayed amber the light at all times, but it did detect the VDSL signal and speed etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to