User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Jun-17 15:15:44
Print Post

BT Ripping Off Old Lady (end of contract rise)

[link to this post]

My sister signed my 86 year old Mum up for DSL Broadband last year and the cost of it has gone through the roof at the end of the initial 12 month and she is being expected to pay approx £60 a month.

The broadband is only there so my sister can do online shopping from her whilst she is there so the broadband requirement is negligible.

My Mum makes very few calls out as well, so the anytime call package is a total waste of money as well.

So a couple of questions:
1) Who do I talk to at BT to try and get a more reasonable deal?
2) Will they talk to me as I am not the account holder?

Or is it easier to just go with some one like John Lewis broadband who will do phone and broadband for £22.50 for 12 months and then a much more reasonable £26.50 afterwards.

If we are to migrate her, my sister wants minimal fuss, so I think we need to keep my Mum with a BT based supplier. So willing to consider other options other than BT or JL, but would prefer to go with someone who provides a free router.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jun-17 15:31:25
Print Post

Re: BT Ripping Off Old Lady (end of contract rise)

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

I would guess your Mum is probably on Infinity 2 with the calls added on. At most she would need Infinity 1 by the sound of it but if usage is that low then BT is almost certainly overkill for her requirements. The front page of Thinkbroadband suggests there are currently deals with PlusNet and you could most likely also get cashback on them to reduce the costs further still.

You can talk to BTs retentions line. Have a look at the advice here. They will talk to you but only after your Mum has given permission - so you need to be with her when you call and you can start the call and hand over the phone when they ask for the bill payer and she can confirm and then hand the phone back (I have done this before with my Mum).
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Jun-17 16:50:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Not even on Infinity 2; just ADSL as per my original post.

All she is getting is Unlimited Broadband, Line Rental and an all calls package.

I'm ian hours drive away from Mum's, so not ideal if I can't do it remotely.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Mon 05-Jun-17 17:35:58
Print Post

This might sound a little harsh and if it does I'm sorry.

Your subject title is BT Ripping off old lady. But from you have posted, it seems more like your sister is ripping off your mum. If the broadband is for your sister and mostly uses it for online shopping (shows she has access to money) then I'm sure she can either contribute towards the cost or pay for it.

I'm sorry, but expecting an 86 year old lady to pay is not right in my opinion, especially from the comment about migrating that she wants minimal fuss.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Jun-17 18:05:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Not even on Infinity 2; just ADSL as per my original post.

All she is getting is Unlimited Broadband, Line Rental and an all calls package.

I'm ian hours drive away from Mum's, so not ideal if I can't do it remotely.

Something seems incorrect their... £60 for DSL/Line/Calls is still to much even at BT's standards.

Theirs no TV with it is their?? Or mobile ??

Also suggest putting the next account in your name, so you can manage it remotely... that's what I did with my Grandfathers TV + Telephone account.

Matt

Coaxial Powered Wonder-Bytes.

Edited by mlmclaren (Mon 05-Jun-17 18:06:46)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Jun-17 18:08:43
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Standard price when out of contract for unlimited ADSL and telephone line rental is £40.99 so if paying more than that when you exclude all the extras that are possible then something is wrong. Deals can usually be reached in return for another 12 month commitment, but that's negotiation time.

Anytime and other elements do add to the cost.

If this is just for the occasional use, then dropping the broadband would save a chunk, but so would switching to someone like PlusNet or others.

I did read the original post and wonder about it, if mum is not using the broadband element then I'd be expecting sister to pay for the broadband element

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Jun-17 18:59:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
The broadband is only there so my sister can do online shopping from her whilst she is there so the broadband requirement is negligible.
Did you mean "do online shopping for her, rather than "from"?

If you did, that answers a couple of the points made about your sister's use.

Another solution may be to buy a cheap PAYG mobile contract with 500MB or 1GB and tether that to the computer for the shopping. My EE one is around £12pm.

The hardly-used phone line could be moved to Pulse8 (click the Home tab as it opens on Business), at £14pm including caller display, 1471 and the usual basic 1571. Bog standard Openreach WLR3. Call charges are 1ppm at most within the UK, billed per second.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 05-Jun-17 19:00:44)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jun-17 23:11:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If it is just to do the online shopping *for* the lady there is no reason for her to have internet access at all as the daughter could make the order from their own home using their own connection and put their mother's home as the delivery address.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Jun-17 23:44:04
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Mum might like to see what is available onscreen and choose an alternative there and then if something she wants isn't.

I'm sure there will be a reason it is done the way it is. Possibly a weekly getting together for a chat and sort out the larder/fridge topups as an aside.

The OP is no fool, so I doubt if his sister is either. But my suggestion could well be the cheapest.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Jun-17 01:05:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

To everybody that has responded,
The fundamental reason that there is Broadband in my Mum's flat is that she wanted an iPad, which I suspect is proving too complicated for her.

I asked my sister about the need for Broadband and she simple said she uses it whilst there, As she lives 5 minutes away from my Mum and is burdened with all the almost daily crises my Mum cares to dream up, I really don't care if she needs to access the Internet whilst there to either sort out the shopping for my Mum or even to sort out her own family life.

What I am looking for is sensible advice about how to negotiate a better deal with BT or as painless as possible migration deal. Simple as!

Andrew,
I will check the last bills tomorrow, but I'm pretty certain they are amounting to £60 per month.

Bob.
I'd already considered whether Plusnet BB plus Pulse8 calls might prove cheaper than either Plusnet or JL, so will check out this option in the morning.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to