User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User corsa57
(regular) Sun 11-Jun-17 08:19:51
Print Post

Bt Smart Hub 6A

[link to this post]

Last night my Smart Hub did it's usual 14 day reset but afterwards the orange light was illuminated on the hub.
I switched off the hub, waited for 5 minutes and then connected the power and let the hub go through it's start up sequence. My internet connections is working as usual as is wifi but the orange light is still illuminated. Is this a fault and if so how can I resolve the issue?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Jun-17 09:37:48
Print Post

Re: Bt Smart Hub 6A

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

Is this a fault and if so how can I resolve the issue?

Almost certainly a duff router, speak to BT Broadband and have them supply a replacement.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jun-17 09:52:38
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It might be worthwhile trying a factory reset first perhaps? It can occasionally be necessary on any routers after a firmware update.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65740/12878Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PS123
(learned) Sun 11-Jun-17 11:05:28
Print Post

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

Funnily enough, my router did the exact same thing this morning.

Came downstairs and the router light was on constant orange. Internet working in full so thought it was extremely odd. Checked the status page on the router's menu and it was 14-day reboot day. So I switched off the router from the back and again orange light remained on.

Might have to consider resetting to factory conditions but will also mean wasting time again to fix certain ip addresses, create port forwarding rules and the general palaver.

The only thing the Smart Hub 6A is good for is to make recycled toilet paper.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jun-17 11:24:25
Print Post

[re: PS123] [link to this post]

Doesn't it allow you to save the configuration to disc before resetting, then restore it? It should.

It is unlikely to be the configuration that is corrupt. If it is, you would soon find out, and not have lost much time. Then at the end you could save it to cover the same happening again. I always like to have my router config backed up locally.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65740/12878Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User corsa57
(regular) Sun 11-Jun-17 16:30:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Happy to report that when I returned home this afternoon hub is now showing the normal blue light. Now I have no idea how this resolved itself but to date apart from this incident the Smart Hub has performed impeccably so I can only hope that all will remain well.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Jun-17 16:44:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Doesn't it allow you to save the configuration to disc before resetting, then restore it? It should.

The last time I used and checked it it did have that feature, sadly if the settings are corrupt saving it, factory resetting it and then restoring the settings would result you back to the same issue.

This is due to you saving the corrupt settings as well.

What I try to do is every time I get a firmware upgrade I do a factory reset and then reset things back up and then save everything.

Sure it all takes time, but I bet it would be less time than having to check everything when bad things start to happen.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It is unlikely to be the configuration that is corrupt. If it is, you would soon find out, and not have lost much time. Then at the end you could save it to cover the same happening again. I always like to have my router config backed up locally.

I wonder if its just s config issue to do with the lights on the hub, has the OP tried to turn off the lights in the setting, I think there is a setting for that unless I am getting mixed up with a different modem / router.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jun-17 18:01:11
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The first part of your post is in effect what I said, as you show by your second quote from mine smile.

More commonly it is just the final step in the new firmware installation that failed to complete. A factory reset reloads the runtime version from the EEPROM.

Unlocking the HG612 with the earlier unlock version often failed to complete and hung. The factory reset fixed it. AIUI most modem or router flashes recommend one anyway.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Jun-17 18:22:15
Print Post

smile

Agreed, I do the same when I upgrade the BIOS on my Motherboard in my PC.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User PS123
(learned) Sun 11-Jun-17 21:24:29
Print Post

Hi RobertoS

Yes, it does. I had a bad experience of saving config. settings for a motherboard once so I normally shy away from doing that.

However backed up my Hub settings, factory reset the hub and restored settings. Still gave the orange light in the afternoon but now it seems to have fixed itself, except for the time. The hub thinks it is 1 Jan 0001 today.

So blue light working but router thinks it is currently 1 Jan 0001 8.30am approx.

Might try another reset now. In the meantime am due a scheduled call by BT technical support tomorrow to explain to me why my hub keeps resetting every 14 days.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to