User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mike3650
(newbie) Thu 17-Aug-17 13:48:54
Print Post

BT Infinity is not available to you?

[link to this post]

As I saw a good deal on BT Infinity I thought I would order it or so I thought (Infinity 1 Up to 52Mb). When I go through the order process and enter my telephone number and postcode/address etc. I get the message that 'BT Infinity is not available to you'. Instead I get offered something called 'Faster Broadband' at a very expensive price.

Now I already have a FTTC connection with Plusnet and my current speed is:

My Broadband Speed Test

The DSL checker says that it is available also: http://i.imgur.com/7jwFrZd.jpg

I have called BT on 2 different numbers to try and find out why they won't offer me Infinity. The first person I couldn't understand their Scottish accent very well but couldn't give me an answer but said he would find out why, I was then transferred to someone else who turned out to be Openreach and unsurprisingly wouldn't help me. Second call same nonsense replies as to why I couldn't get it saying BT had no capacity for me.

Now from what I can find out is that Infinity is not offered to anyone with a speed of 15Mb or below but I get a speed higher than this. Also my cabinet appears not to be full as it says it's available. In any case as I already have a FTTC connection I thought it would be a case of a new ISP taking it over?

Anybody able to advise whats going on?

From the poor response I have had from BT perhaps it's a message telling me to stay clear!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 17-Aug-17 14:21:12
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity is not available to you?

[re: Mike3650] [link to this post]

I think you're right that BT are looking at the DSL checker results rather than your actual connection.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Aug-17 16:33:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Correct they will look at the checker results, no provider has to sell a product to a specific customer and by segregating slow or fast customers into different products you can do things like ensure averages are high.

Cue more providers doing the same when advertising rules change

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Aug-17 17:37:31
Print Post

BT won't sell Infinity as its marketed as Superfast to lines which the checker shows less than 20

They offer a product called 'Faster Unlimited Broadband' which is quite more expensive.

Having worked for BT's ELC team, this came up a lot - and there's nothing can be done, the product can't be sold, however... customers who were already on BT, We could someone with DI access to change the product.

You wont be able to join as a new customer, and there's no way round that.

Virgin Media VIVID100

Edited by BuckleZ (Thu 17-Aug-17 17:39:20)

Standard User Mike3650
(newbie) Fri 18-Aug-17 15:19:19
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies confirming what I thought.

Shame the DSL checker speeds aren't more accurate or updated as to what speed is achievable. They are always going to be on the conservative side so not to disappoint people.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Aug-17 15:30:00
Print Post

They can also get slower over time so BT are potentially modelling based on an assumption of increased cross talk and reduced line performance - many people have seen speeds drop quite a bit as uptake has increased.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Aug-17 16:31:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mike3650:
Shame the DSL checker speeds aren't more accurate or updated as to what speed is achievable
But they are updated...
Standard User Mike3650
(newbie) Fri 18-Aug-17 17:38:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by Mike3650:
Shame the DSL checker speeds aren't more accurate or updated as to what speed is achievable
But they are updated...

Well I have had FTTC for over 4 years now and the DSL checker has always been much lower than the speed I get.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Aug-17 18:54:23
Print Post

3 Mbps is not "much"
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Aug-17 12:28:41
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

I think any line with a low A estimate of above15mbps can get infinity.

14.9 and below you're offered "faster total broadband".
  Print Thread

Jump to