User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | [18] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Thu 16-Nov-17 21:17:36
Print Post

Re: Speed increase?

[re: bsg017] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bsg017:
Another puzzle and food for thought.. Between 8.30pm and 9pm this evening I reran the Think Broadband speed test and went through the pre-check palaver and speed test offered by BT.
Think Broadband reported 26.5 Mbs, while BT reported about 52 Mbs to the BThub and suggested that that could be improved! I am using an Ethernet connection between hub and computer with an intervening Netgear switch.

What happens when you plug the Ethernet cable directly into the BTHub instead of using the Netgear switch?

If still the same low speeds, try using a different cable.

Edited by robertcrowther (Thu 16-Nov-17 21:18:36)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Nov-17 09:30:09
Print Post

BT will likely be using servers that are within their network whereas for TBB it has to go full out to the Internet. It is possible that one of BTs interconnects is running oversubscribed and affecting the TBB speed test times.
Standard User whatever
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Nov-17 17:11:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Even looking at the highest estimate, I don't see them upgrading someone with a 57Mbps estimate for example. And almost certainly anyone sync'ing below 55Mbps won't get it. There would be no point.

I was on a 48mbit line which has now jumped to 56.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 17-Nov-17 23:55:56
Print Post

[re: whatever] [link to this post]

Are you talking about speed test results? From those figures it looks like it.

The figure I was talking about was the connection speed estimate from the BT Wholesale checker. That should not change, at least in the short term.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User bsg017
(newbie) Tue 21-Nov-17 17:59:35
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Not easy to do as the router and desktop computer that I normally use are on different floors (actually above each other). I could connect my laptop to the router with an Ethernet cable.
I have in fact taken up a BT 'Black Friday' offer to renew my contract for another 12 months and my Thinkbroadband speedtest has gone up to 50Mbs this evening! I am stilll in doubt whether I will get any of the cash 'refunds' which I think were on offer and have not yet tried to repeat the BT speedtest.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Nov-17 23:21:19
Print Post

The reward cards are only for new customers and not existing customers renewing contracts

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User whatever
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Nov-17 12:49:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you talking about speed test results? From those figures it looks like it.

The figure I was talking about was the connection speed estimate from the BT Wholesale checker. That should not change, at least in the short term.

No, I am talking about the connection speed.

The line has always been capable of more than what Infinity 1 was originally capable of, but not much more so I never went for Infinity 2.
Now i've got the max the line would have delivered in both directions without paying for the jump to Infinity 2.

I had a similar email from BT about a year ago saying I'd get a free speed increase. I got a small boost then. Now i've just got a bit more.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | [18] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to