User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 01-Oct-17 18:09:27
Print Post

Poor speed

[link to this post]

I had a problem with a very crackly line which turned out to be dodgy internal wiring (we think); removed unused extension socket wiring and crackling ceased. But now my speed has gone from 34mb to 2mb download on Infinity1.

Could this be a dodgy face plate. Quiet Line test is silent. I have a solid DSL signal on my hub; feeding a HH4. Don't want to disconnect HUb too many more times, done a few already.

Any advice please?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15068772903...

Edited by athegn (Sun 01-Oct-17 18:18:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 01-Oct-17 18:16:57
Print Post

Re: Poor speed

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

Does your landline telephone work from the same socket as the broadband? (Using the phone socket of a filtered faceplate or dangly filter, whichever is the case).

You have the symptom of one wire of the pair being disconnected, which results in very low connection speed on broadband and a dead phone. Seeing as you have just been doing things to the wiring you may have disconnected one you shouldn't.

Edit: Oops frown, it must as you've done a Quiet Line test. But was it from the same socket, and which socket has the broadband - the master or an extension?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 01-Oct-17 18:18:43)

Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 01-Oct-17 18:19:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Uses filtered faceplate. Master; extension was always that never broadband; not in circuit now.

Edited by athegn (Sun 01-Oct-17 18:26:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 01-Oct-17 18:28:32
Print Post

The Broadband socket is the type with the broadband Hub (HH4 plugged into this HUB) plugged into the top socket and the phone into the lower socket.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 01-Oct-17 18:35:08
Print Post

What is the IP Profile of your line?
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 01-Oct-17 19:00:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

How do I find my IP Profile?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Oct-17 19:05:53
Print Post

The Home Hub should show you the connection speed in its settings, that is first port of call

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 01-Oct-17 19:11:12
Print Post

Visit BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test pop your telephone number in and run the test. Once the initial test completes you will see an option at the bottom of the screen for 'Further Diagnostics' click this to run the full test. Once the result is displayed, there is the IP profile

Or go here https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=... and put your phone number in. The test will run and display your IP Profile
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 01-Oct-17 19:11:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The Home Hub should show you the connection speed in its settings, that is first port of call
It doesn't as he is using a modem
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sun 01-Oct-17 19:39:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

IP profile download 5.3 Mbps
IP Profile upload 10 Mbps

However one thing I did not do is to reboot Hub as I think continual disconnections will keep my speeds low?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to