User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User venomizer2010
(newbie) Sat 07-Oct-17 16:10:33
Print Post

Smart Hub on FTTP - Sync Speed

[link to this post]

I'm trying to find the sync speed for my BT Smart Hub. Supposedly it should be in the Technical Information section on the router admin page but it's not listed there, although all other stats are.

I'm on a FTTP connection with the hub connected to an ONT. Is it not possible to view sync speed / IP Profile with this setup?

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Oct-17 16:53:45
Print Post

Re: Smart Hub on FTTP - Sync Speed

[re: venomizer2010] [link to this post]

Sync speed does not exist for FTTP the connection speed is only visible within the fibre ONT.

The Smart Hub is simply receiving a PPPoE based connection via the Ethernet cable

Also IP Profile is irrelevant since its a fixed speed connection service so will not vary

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Oct-17 17:50:59
Print Post

Adding to what MrSaffron said, the connection speed will be the speed of the specific product option you chose. Barring supplier cockups somewhere in the chain between you and the installation taking place.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User venomizer2010
(newbie) Sat 14-Oct-17 10:31:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the responses. I'm getting a solid 74/22 since the free upgrade for Infinity 1 customers.

Any idea why the BT speedtester at https://www.bt.com/help/home/broadband/speedtest/
Says my account doesn't have broadband on it...which clearly isn't the case!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Oct-17 10:35:28
Print Post

Probably developers did not take into account the differences that FTTP presents, and may not work for FTTP lines, since there is no sync speed data available.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Sat 14-Oct-17 11:57:55
Print Post

Not a clue why it says that, but mine does the same yet i've had Infinity for 2 years.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Oct-17 13:14:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Probably developers did not take into account the differences that FTTP presents, and may not work for FTTP lines, since there is no sync speed data available.

BT's FTTP Team told me for my issues its due to the phone line being FVA, now whether this is true or not I don't know.

I know BTW Speedtest and its dsl checker, BT Speedtest and BTOR Where and When checker all fail when I use my phone number.

So maybe what BT told me might be true, but that was almost a year ago.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310.95 Mbps (down), 29.37 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Sat 14-Oct-17 14:52:38
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

They're probably right, my FVA phone number doesn't work on any of those checkers either. Presumably they only keep those records for copper lines.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Oct-17 15:05:12
Print Post

[re: EddyTheDog] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by EddyTheDog:
They're probably right, my FVA phone number doesn't work on any of those checkers either. Presumably they only keep those records for copper lines.

Yeah.

It "might" makes things difficult if I decide on moving to another FTTP provider later on, due to most ISP Checkers require your phone number to be used in the check.

Not that I will be changing to another ISP.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310.95 Mbps (down), 29.37 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
  Print Thread

Jump to