User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Estorial
(newbie) Fri 03-Nov-17 13:17:32
Print Post

BT service problems

[link to this post]

Hello,
I am new to this forum so forgive me if asking something that has already been discussed somewhere else.

In absence of VM coverage at my new flat, I signed on with BT at the start of October when I moved in, expecting the 1-3 weeks of lead time it takes them to do anything. So I get an activation date for bt infinity for the 24th of October. My equipment arrived on time, it was a BT "smart" hub if it matters, and I was waiting for the activation date to pass to connect my router to the line. After the 24th passed I connected everything as the manual instructed me to and turned on the smart hub. It powered on, but the light never turned blue. It started blinking orange, which from a quick search in the manual meant it was trying to connect to the line. This went on for a "little" bit. A Little bit is 30 minutes.

After going through every single troubleshooting guide I could get my hands on, I gave up and I called their customer service. They asked me the pretty standard questions about how the router connects to the wall ( single plug with a horizontal line) and then started to do checks on the line. Needless to say, nothing came out of that and they told me an engineer need to visit.

Fast forward to the engineer's appointment on the 31st of October. After telling me that I should not expect service unless someone visited to activate the line( Line was active since he had a dial tone from the start) he placed an oscillator on the line and went to check the cabinet which as it turns out is literally 20 meters up the road. Turns out my line was active and that it must be a faulty router. So he connects his testing router (previous gen bt box) and the internet connects just fine, I connected to the wifi and loaded a youtube video like a breeze.
He apologises for not being a able to leave the router with me as he is not from this area and he had to come out of way and instructs me to order a new hub.

Fast forward to the new hub arrival. Guess what??
It doesn't work.
So I call BT again. And now there is a fault in my line somewhere. So now they have to send an engineer out again on Saturday to fix the line.

Is there anything I can do to make sure they fix it this time ? My patience is wearing thin at this point. I have already been billed for October, although no service has been provided to me from their part. To make matters worse I'm unemployed and I should be applying for jobs, which is pretty damn hard to through the bt-wifi-fon service that keeps disconnecting every 5 minutes.

Is there anyone I can actually speak with and get this sorted? Any "special" number I could call and speak to someone who can actually tell me what the problem is and if they can actually fix it on Saturday or should I expect to be left without internet for the majority of my contract.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Nov-17 14:44:24
Print Post

Re: BT service problems

[re: Estorial] [link to this post]

A question about a remote possibility.

When the engineer plugged in his router, did he use his modem cable or yours? If yours, are you using the same cable with the new router, or the one that came with it?

If you haven't done, try the new modem cable to the incoming line from the router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Estorial
(newbie) Fri 03-Nov-17 15:22:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The same exact cable...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 03-Nov-17 15:59:24
Print Post

I'm not sure which of my sequence of questions that is answering smile.

If it is the first one, about what the engineer used, then fine. But if it's one of the later ones, try the one that came with the new router smile.

It's only a tiny chance the cable is faulty, but only a few seconds needed to check smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-Nov-17 16:10:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Plus also make sure you are using the latest power supply sent out.

One possibility is which socket on the back of the smart hub is the cable connected too? Should be the grey DSL broadband socket.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Nov-17 16:30:45
Print Post

As a matter of interest are you using the exact same phone socket or test socket to connect your router to as the one the engineer used to test the connection?

plusnet user
Standard User Estorial
(newbie) Mon 06-Nov-17 10:30:53
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

To answer all of the questions.

I tried all possible combinations of cables and ports.

Test socket or normal socket didn't make any difference as there are no other extension sockets connecting to the master socket.

Turns out, somehow, the ports my line was connected to were faulty at the cabinet. I got a call from an openreach engineer later on Friday because he went to the cabinet and couldn't see my router on the line. 10 minutes later he swapped ports and the line was normal.

Which begs the question, If the sockets were faulty, how could the first engineers connect fine in the first place?
Standard User Estorial
(newbie) Mon 06-Nov-17 10:34:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Plus also make sure you are using the latest power supply sent out.

One possibility is which socket on the back of the smart hub is the cable connected too? Should be the grey DSL broadband socket.

You can't really connect an RJ11 cable to an RJ45 socket, can you ??
I know some people might have done that mistake, but the router they gave me would throw up a purple light, instead of the flashing orange one.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 06-Nov-17 11:05:39
Print Post

Yes you can. The original design was such that a 6pin could be inserted into an 8 pin socket. A later development of a 4 pin version (not technically an RJ) can be fitted to both 6 and 8 pin sockets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Nov-17 11:34:24
Print Post

Authentication details on there kit that works without the ISP level mapping that you get for consumers maybe

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to