User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Mon 06-Nov-17 17:04:41
Print Post

Price increase again

[link to this post]

Having only re- contracted in August, I have had an email today about a price increase frown

Some of our prices are changing, and we've been making some improvements to your service

Hello,
We're writing to tell you that the price you pay for your BT services will be changing from 7 January 2018. We've put the changes in a simple table below for you.
We've been making improvements to your BT services to offer you more than ever before, and you can see more about these below. We're not stopping there, we've got some exciting new developments in the pipeline for 2018.

Prices are going up by £2.50 per month. Why can't these telcos keep a price for the contract period?

Mark

http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Nov-17 18:04:21
Print Post

Re: Price increase again

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

Some do, some don't.

Its your choice to remain or not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Nov-17 18:25:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Discus:
Why can't these telcos keep a price for the contract period?

Probably because they want to appear fair to other customers not in contract!

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User _Resonance_
(member) Mon 06-Nov-17 19:10:09
Print Post

Not had the email yet. I let the last increase slide, but might take a look elsewhere this time.

BT Infinity 2
Standard User tthom
(committed) Mon 06-Nov-17 19:32:07
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

Not surprised to be honest.. Someone has to pay for the free speed boost for Infinity 1 customers

Broadband Providers Aoll/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT infinity/Talktalk/BT Infinity 60/11 Sync
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Nov-17 19:37:03
Print Post

Why can't these telcos keep a price for the contract period?
They get away with it because not enough customers leave them.

If you can find a better deal leave them!

Michael Chare
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 06-Nov-17 19:48:12
Print Post

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/201...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Nov-17 21:47:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Landline call costs Ė calls to other landlines (including 0870 & 0845 numbers) will increase from 12p/min to 13p/min; calls to mobiles will increase from 16p/min to 17p/min. The call set-up fee is rising from 21p/call to 22p/call.
Ye gods!

My landline with no call package is £13pm rental + £1pm Caller Display and free 1571. Calls in peak time are 1p per minute charged by the second (not rounded up) and off-peak (overnight) 0.8p per second. There is no call setup charge.

Unlimited landline calls on BT are going up to £9.50pm.

That's 950 minutes on my service. Nearly 16 hours. On top of the 500 minutes my lower rental gets me.

If people on Evening and Weekend make a weekday call it will cost them 22p before they start. That's 22 minutes I have in hand, never mind the 13 minutes I get for every one minute BT customers will get.

BT Consumer is horrendously ripping people off on landline prices, but now there is a whiff of a headwind from Ofcom about the rental costs, (more like a very light breeze), they are having to up this sort of thing. With no justification whatsoever that I can see.

Sky happily following along of course.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 06-Nov-17 22:01:49
Print Post

Read your contract. It will tell you in there that a price increase will occur in January every year. So, they are keeping to their contract.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MatHal
(newbie) Mon 06-Nov-17 22:59:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I love the way BT and the other rip-off telcos are allowed to charge for 'services' which cost them nothing, or next to nothing, to provide.
What is this 22p 'call set-up fee'?? Their phone exchanges are automatic so it costs absolutely NOTHING to connect a call, as evidenced by the fact that the caller is NOT charged this fee if the number does not answer!!
The list of these extortionate, entirely inappropriate and unnecessary fees is so long I'm not going to go into it (but caller display is another example).
It really is high time the government got Ofcom to sort this industry out.

Edited by MatHal (Mon 06-Nov-17 23:04:30)

Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Nov-17 10:02:36
Print Post

What annoys me is BT appears to not have any fixed prices. What they offer seems to vary in price monthly or even weekly with the prices going up and down like a brides nighty and the onus is on the users to ring up and haggle for a better price, it seems a very off way of doing business.

Given the price of fibre i can seem people taking the odd step of going backwards to ADSL in an effort to lower costs, all these companies seem to have forgot we are a country in austerity.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Nov-17 11:50:50
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

So do the thing that seems to be screaming out, move to an operator with fixed pricing...

No law or obligation for a retailer to commit to fixed prices, the rules just say they must inform you of any price changes and if you don't accept them let you walk from any contract penalty free.

On austerity, am writing up offers for FTTC services that are cheaper than BT standard ADSL pricing every week. If money is tight you will do things like mark end contract dates on the wall calendar and make sure to chase the best deals.

The alternative is that legislation kicks in and forces lots of obligations about pricing and end of contract term and price rises, and overall effect is then likely to be a lot less competition and sign up offers. This might also see provider choice reduced in some areas leaving people with just BT as the option.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 07-Nov-17 20:54:18
Print Post

[re: MatHal] [link to this post]

yes ofcom needs a change of remit.

The impression given is that ofcom is there to protect consumers, it is not.

Their remit is to actually protect competition in the market.

So the way they see it, if all the providers are ripping people off then its ok.

Occasionally (due to bad press) they may take direct action to help consumers but its not their primary concern.

I expect there has been discussions between ofcom and the major CPs about all these fee's, the CPs have likely told ofcom if they do anything about it then base rental costs will skyrocket and they will take the heat for it from the press, hence ofcom not doing anything. Of course ofcom seems willing enough to directly cap openreach's earnings, but wont do the same to the retail CP's.

An even bigger threat would be if the likes of sky and talktalk threatening to withdraw from the market then this competitive market becomes less competitive, which is against ofcom's remit.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Nov-17 21:01:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Name ONE, they all seem to hide behind terms and conditions making contracts unbalanced in their favour
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Nov-17 21:46:40
Print Post

[re: Rich44] [link to this post]

TalkTalk

Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Nov-17 12:39:19
Print Post

Having only re- contracted in August, I have had an email today about a price increase frown

Some of our prices are changing, and we've been making some improvements to your service

Hello,
We're writing to tell you that the price you pay for your BT services will be changing from 7 January 2018. We've put the changes in a simple table below for you.
We've been making improvements to your BT services to offer you more than ever before, and you can see more about these below. We're not stopping there, we've got some exciting new developments in the pipeline for 2018.

Prices are going up by £2.50 per month. Why can't these telcos keep a price for the contract period?

Mark

They need to pay for the obscene amounts that they have paid for sport and to make up for the loss of income due to people using inclusive minutes on mobile contracts rather than making call via landlines.

Standard User idmanager
(regular) Thu 09-Nov-17 18:33:41
Print Post

My bill will be £57 per month for 80/20 unlimited calls sports lite, for the sky version of sports light the quality is so poor you canít watch it, so no real loss, and just looking at Plusnet will do 80/20 and unlimited call and mobile calls for £37.99, Talktalk will do £43.50 for same, but I am unsure what service I would get, am I right in saying Plusnet is really BT as I get full speed internet day and night and donít really want to leave but I just canít afford to keep paying the extra for good service, is there any ex plusnet users that are with BT now due to issues with speed, or is everybody else just biting the bullet yet again and paying the rise
Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Nov-17 11:30:01
Print Post

[re: idmanager] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by idmanager:
My bill will be £57 per month for 80/20 unlimited calls sports lite, for the sky version of sports light the quality is so poor you canít watch it, so no real loss, and just looking at Plusnet will do 80/20 and unlimited call and mobile calls for £37.99, Talktalk will do £43.50 for same, but I am unsure what service I would get, am I right in saying Plusnet is really BT as I get full speed internet day and night and donít really want to leave but I just canít afford to keep paying the extra for good service, is there any ex plusnet users that are with BT now due to issues with speed, or is everybody else just biting the bullet yet again and paying the rise

Can't you just cancel the sport?

Standard User 961a
(committed) Fri 10-Nov-17 12:34:16
Print Post

[re: michaelh] [link to this post]

What, with the Ashes about to start?
Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Nov-17 12:52:47
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 961a:
What, with the Ashes about to start?

My wife and I will actually be in Adelaide whilst the Ashes are on there. I think we'll probably be the only English people in the city with no interest in cricket whatsoever.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Nov-17 16:25:14
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

I think I will be dozing to TMS overnight then watching the extended highlights next day. I need to check the lag between TMS on DAB and BT Sport on Youview to see if dozing on the big settee in the living room is worth it. For Sky it is an ideal couple of seconds giving you time to look up and see the ball TMS have got excited about. For NowTV it is 25 seconds or so meaning you need to chase-play TMS 23 seconds behind live.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Nov-17 17:47:53
Print Post

Plusnet is owned by BT but is a separate operation rather than a rebrand. Generally their backhaul arrangements are adequate and you don't have to speak to call centre in India. Plusnet run John Lewis broadband for them.

Michael Chare
Standard User alloneword
(member) Fri 10-Nov-17 23:17:22
Print Post

[re: michaelh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by michaelh:
My wife and I will actually be in Adelaide whilst the Ashes are on there. I think we'll probably be the only English people in the city with no interest in cricket whatsoever.

Nope my Father lives in SA 5094 and he has no intrest in cricket either, so at least there will be another whinging pom around wink

All1
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 11-Nov-17 06:46:32
Print Post

[re: MatHal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MatHal:
I love the way BT and the other rip-off telcos are allowed to charge for 'services' which cost them nothing, or next to nothing, to provide.
What is this 22p 'call set-up fee'?? Their phone exchanges are automatic so it costs absolutely NOTHING to connect a call, as evidenced by the fact that the caller is NOT charged this fee if the number does not answer!!
The list of these extortionate, entirely inappropriate and unnecessary fees is so long I'm not going to go into it (but caller display is another example).

Call logs of my company show that it is increasingly rare for a domestic customer to call in on a fixed landline. And what is being used? Mobiles of course that don't have a setup fee.
Standard User alext05
(committed) Tue 14-Nov-17 15:49:43
Print Post

Anyone renegotiated any good deals?
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Tue 14-Nov-17 15:58:15
Print Post

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

Didn't get a good deal, but got to keep my same rate with extended privacy. Was going to VF, but the price wasn't much different (until they advertised their decrease for black Friday). That said, I was happy with the old price, so am okay about being able to keep it.

http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Nov-17 18:39:10
Print Post

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alloneword:
In reply to a post by michaelh:

Nope my Father lives in SA 5094 and he has no intrest in cricket either, so at least there will be another whinging pom around wink

All1

We shall not be whinging

Standard User _Resonance_
(member) Sun 19-Nov-17 13:16:37
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
In reply to a post by MatHal:

Call logs of my company show that it is increasingly rare for a domestic customer to call in on a fixed landline. And what is being used? Mobiles of course that don't have a setup fee.

Yes, I always use my mobile. Most landline companies have priced themselves out of the market as far as calls are concerned.

BT Infinity 2

Edited by _Resonance_ (Sun 19-Nov-17 13:17:12)

Standard User 69bertie
(member) Sun 19-Nov-17 16:10:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sadly, despite the flyers that come through the letterbox, they don't do my area. I even contacted them and they confirmed what their online checker said. TT not available in my area. Would be nice if we had genuine competition.

Standard User mpellatt
(member) Sun 19-Nov-17 22:31:28
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by _Resonance_:
Yes, I always use my mobile. Most landline companies have priced themselves out of the market as far as calls are concerned.

Except if you're in a spot where:
a) There's no mobile coverage
and
b) Broadband speed is so slow that if you want to use VoIP, you better make sure no-one's doing anything else on t'innernet in your house
Standard User StormcroW
(member) Sat 02-Dec-17 12:39:53
Print Post

I also got the price increase email and I have now started the move to a new isp. I only had 5 days left in contract and the move doesn't take place until the 18th Dec so I should be ok.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 02-Dec-17 23:13:04
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mpellatt:
In reply to a post by _Resonance_:

Except if you're in a spot where:
a) There's no mobile coverage
and
b) Broadband speed is so slow that if you want to use VoIP, you better make sure no-one's doing anything else on t'innernet in your house

You have failed to grasp what is being said here. Put simply, calls from a mobile are free because of the generous quota of minutes automatically included with any contract phone. No point in using a landline with its rip off connection fees and high call charges. No mobile coverage areas can be sorted through the use of a sure signal device with Vodafone or your router for EE. Either selection appears to work at pretty low broadband speeds to give a full signal to your mobile.

That leaves the landline predominately for a broadband connection but handy to have if the broadband goes down to maintain a voice connection to the outside world..

As for VoIP, if your broadband speed is particularly slow, voice quality will indeed be poor, even more so if other traffic is using the connection at the time of the call. You can do something about that too by bonding two or more broadband services.. Not a cheap option, but then you will get an un-contended, symmetrical service to give you a faster speed and a superior VoIP service..

VoIP provides all features without paying surcharges. Reasonably priced call bundles are now available giving free calls to landline numbers and mobiles.

So your issues can be sorted without suggesting otherwise.
Standard User GorillaWheels
(member) Sun 03-Dec-17 00:53:37
Print Post

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

I had the email on Friday about a £2.50 p m increase fron Jan 7th 2018. When I clicked ďact nowĒ keep your broadband the same price they want to offer me the same price I currently pay on an 18 month contract, so £28.99 p m for a up to 80 / 20 Infinity 1 with weekend calls package. I am very tempted as that is a hell of a lot better than the standard price of £49.99 which they have said it would go up to when my currrent contract ends in April 2018, with the £2.50 added on to that from Jan Ď18 if I donít renew.

I havenít checked any other ISP out for comparisons yet?

Dave in the Peopleís Republic of Cumbria
BTBroadband Infinity 1 with free Sept 2017 upgrade to 80 / 20
61.87 / 18.33 sync achieving approx.
Standard User Roksan
(learned) Sun 03-Dec-17 01:36:03
Print Post

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

As I'm pushing 60 for a large part of my life I've used a landline though had a decent mobile for the past few years esp the last two. I recently moved to an ISP that doesnít do a call package to mobiles & a charges a fiver a month to other land lines, we used to pay extra for landlines & mobile minutes - We decided (which was a big change to me) to try out not to pay for any call package & just use our mobiles, though me & my wife both found it a bit odd but we stuck to the plan. (My 17 year old daughter I donít think has ever used the landline)

The result is well after month is both me & my wife still have many unused mobile minutes. We also have the option of using WhatsApp & Facetime with friends. Landline phones are still there for emergences & of course people can still phone us - We are fortunate to get a good signal on all mobile providers. Good day landlines costs Ė Why we didnít think of doing this before I donít know, I suppose itís what you get used to?

Edited by Roksan (Sun 03-Dec-17 01:54:48)

Standard User mpellatt
(member) Sun 03-Dec-17 08:19:04
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

So you say that poor voice quality when using VoIP over a slow connection can be fixed by bonding 2 or more lines, whilst admitting that is "not a cheap option".

After accusing me of being the one who "fails to grasp what is being said" when I point out that landline phone providers haven't priced themselves out of the market in areas of non-existent phone coverage and slow broadband speeds ?

Seems to me it's you who doesn't grasp the issue in deeply rural areas.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Dec-17 10:19:41
Print Post

Hello,

Mark

Also got to pay for all these cheap/free FTTP trials going on. I'm waiting for my ISP to announce this and then i'm gone, Just got the cashback too smile
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Dec-17 10:20:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Landline call costs Ė calls to other landlines (including 0870 & 0845 numbers) will increase from 12p/min to 13p/min; calls to mobiles will increase from 16p/min to 17p/min. The call set-up fee is rising from 21p/call to 22p/call.
Ye gods!

My landline with no call package is £13pm rental + £1pm Caller Display and free 1571. Calls in peak time are 1p per minute charged by the second (not rounded up) and off-peak (overnight) 0.8p per second. There is no call setup charge.

Unlimited landline calls on BT are going up to £9.50pm.

That's 950 minutes on my service. Nearly 16 hours. On top of the 500 minutes my lower rental gets me.

If people on Evening and Weekend make a weekday call it will cost them 22p before they start. That's 22 minutes I have in hand, never mind the 13 minutes I get for every one minute BT customers will get.

BT Consumer is horrendously ripping people off on landline prices, but now there is a whiff of a headwind from Ofcom about the rental costs, (more like a very light breeze), they are having to up this sort of thing. With no justification whatsoever that I can see.

Sky happily following along of course.

It was one of the reasons I miss TTB - £45.54 a month all in with unlimited calls to mobiles too!
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Dec-17 10:22:47
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alnath:
What annoys me is BT appears to not have any fixed prices. What they offer seems to vary in price monthly or even weekly with the prices going up and down like a brides nighty and the onus is on the users to ring up and haggle for a better price, it seems a very off way of doing business.

Given the price of fibre i can seem people taking the odd step of going backwards to ADSL in an effort to lower costs, all these companies seem to have forgot we are a country in austerity.

Some already do -depends on their needs.

Makes me appreciate people like AA who have one price for all - the end.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Dec-17 10:24:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by idmanager:

I went from Infinity 2 to Plusnet (after a short stay at Talk Talk Business) - and wished I haden't

Does that help?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Dec-17 10:27:15
Print Post

[re: StormcroW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StormcroW:
I also got the price increase email and I have now started the move to a new isp. I only had 5 days left in contract and the move doesn't take place until the 18th Dec so I should be ok.

As long as you give notice within 30 days after getting the e-mail you are fine, so don't fret. You WILL be ok smile
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Dec-17 10:28:30
Print Post

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Roksan:
As I'm pushing 60 for a large part of my life I've used a landline though had a decent mobile for the past few years esp the last two. I recently moved to an ISP that doesnít do a call package to mobiles & a charges a fiver a month to other land lines, we used to pay extra for landlines & mobile minutes - We decided (which was a big change to me) to try out not to pay for any call package & just use our mobiles, though me & my wife both found it a bit odd but we stuck to the plan. (My 17 year old daughter I donít think has ever used the landline)

The result is well after month is both me & my wife still have many unused mobile minutes. We also have the option of using WhatsApp & Facetime with friends. Landline phones are still there for emergences & of course people can still phone us - We are fortunate to get a good signal on all mobile providers. Good day landlines costs Ė Why we didnít think of doing this before I donít know, I suppose itís what you get used to?

It is - and when FTTP comes out they know everyone will drop a landline like a hot potato - those days are over
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 03-Dec-17 12:26:01
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mpellatt:
So you say that poor voice quality when using VoIP over a slow connection can be fixed by bonding 2 or more lines, whilst admitting that is "not a cheap option".

After accusing me of being the one who "fails to grasp what is being said" when I point out that landline phone providers haven't priced themselves out of the market in areas of non-existent phone coverage and slow broadband speeds ?

Seems to me it's you who doesn't grasp the issue in deeply rural areas.

My business is located in your definition of a "deeply rural area" and it is very frustrating to have a non-existent broadband connection and surcharged f£3.50 a month or being in a Market 1 area. My choice of ISP was also limited. Make a call on said landline and you have the 'privilege' of being charged for a setup fee and extortionate call charges. That doesn't site nicely with your statement that "phone providers haven't priced themselves out of the market"; IMHO they have, so its not surprising many turn to using their mobiles instead.

However I have no mobile coverage,so being a Vodafone customer.I have installed a Sure Signal Device and a full signal is available to my mobile devices. Free voice calls become the norm for me.

Now the broadband side of things, I also have a slow internet connection. With a deep enough pocket I could run with various different FTTP options that are available but instead opted for bonding two internet lines which is more reasonably priced at just under £100 a month.

So in deepest West Sussex I have a reasonable mobile phone signal and an acceptable broadband connection whereas before investing in additional hardware and higher rental charges, neither was present..

I also have a hosted VoIP service with good sound quality provided data traffic is at a trickle.

Would you please elaborate on why you think I have not got a grasp on the issues in deeply rural areas? I'm in one and got the problem sorted.
Standard User ploddo
(regular) Mon 04-Dec-17 10:20:00
Print Post

I used to pay BT £8.50 for unlimited/anytime calls. Same calls cost around £3 with my new provider. In fact I had a call to Australia last week, I was on the phone for 55 minutes, cost me £1.26 plus vat!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to