User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User markp1
(newbie) Fri 17-Nov-17 16:17:39
Print Post

BT slow speed / any thoughts?

[link to this post]

After switching to BT fftc from adsl my speeds haven't increased hugely... I bought the upto 52Mbps package.... though I notice the speed quotes was between 20-14.4 Mbps. I hoped this would be throughput speed.

The sync speed is actually pretty much constant 18.41 Mbps... the Line attenuation with fttc is 27.6 dB (Noise margin: 6.1 dB / 6.4 dB)… but I have been monitoring the speed (http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/) at various times of day (using test socket) for the last week and download varies between about 6.5 Mbps to 12.5 Mbps .

If I compare this to my previous non fibre adsl (sync Speed: 5.248 Mb/s, Line Attenuation: 46.3 dB / 29.5 dB, Noise Margin: 8.2 dB / 11 dB), So going to fttc has about halved the Attenuation… and 2+ times the speed (at 3x the cost)

Obviously a main part of the problem seems to be the copper part of the line…
a BT engineer came out and recrimped some of the wires …. But the speed stayed about the same and after he “fiddled” in the street cabinet (750m away) "on his way home" I noticed that the attenuation has actually increased to a steady 30db.

Two questions:
i) The BT helpdesk insist that I use http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/... Which actually is reporting slower (& variable) speeds – 6-12Mbps) than other speedtests (thinkbroadband shows downloads 15 Mbps)… I wonder why the BT one varies so much while the thinkbroadband speed test is pretty constant and faster?
ii) I wonder which measurement BT use when they say “you may be entitled to cancel your broadband contract without paying a charge for ending it early” if your line speed is significantly lower than the estimated range… the sync speed or the speedtest speed?

I feel my best bet at the moment it to get them out again to see if they can reduce the attenuation at all and then, as they are still faster than normal adsl ,... stick with them until the end of my 12 month contract and see what deal I can get then?

thanks for any help
Mark
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Nov-17 09:18:44
Print Post

Re: BT slow speed / any thoughts?

[re: markp1] [link to this post]

What are the estimated speed ranges on here for the phone number? Both impacted and non-impacted for VDSL2?

Also, when you signed up to BT they should have given you an expected speed range and a minimum guaranteed speed.

It is generally the sync speed that would be used when deciding if your line is performing below expectations. If it is then you may find the best offer you would get would be to cancel the FTTC and move back to ADSL.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Nov-17 10:57:47
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I expect the new "Handback" speed is also relevant.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Nov-17 11:54:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Quite likely - I kind of thought that was the minimum guaranteed speed but they may be 2 separate things?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 20-Nov-17 12:21:55
Print Post

[re: markp1] [link to this post]

Can you post a link to a TBB speedtest ...

You have a 18.4 Mbps sync which is in te right ballpark for the line estimates and attenuation. You report a TBB test of 15Mbps which might be a little slow but not way off as I would expect around 16.5 to 17Mbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to