User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lanus
(regular) Tue 21-Nov-17 17:07:55
Print Post

What happens if switchover occurs after cooling off period.

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I'm in the middle of my 14 day cooling off period with BT Infinity and i've just bought a Sky BB Fibre pack. What happens if the actual switchover occurs after the 14 day cooling off period is over?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Nov-17 08:32:42
Print Post

Re: What happens if switchover occurs after cooling off peri

[re: Lanus] [link to this post]

Have you told BT of your intention to leave in the cooling off period?
Standard User Lanus
(regular) Wed 22-Nov-17 14:18:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Well Sky did that during the switchover requests. BT have emailed me telling me that i'll only pay what i've used, but they also said that i wouldn't get my upfront payment of the line rental back which i never paid in the first place so it doesn't encourage much faith in me. I hate calling these places.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Nov-17 14:21:31
Print Post

So if BT have already told you it would appear your question was already answered?
Standard User Lanus
(regular) Wed 22-Nov-17 16:13:48
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Essentially answered now yes but i still don't really trust them. Just curious also as to how in general this is dealt with when the actual switchover and billing period doesn't happen until well outside of the 14 day cooling off period.
Standard User Mml
(regular) Wed 22-Nov-17 17:43:50
Print Post

I wouldn't rely on them getting the message from Sky if I were you. The onus is on you to explicitly tell them you're out and you want to cancel. The fact is, BT won't stop the switch even though you're in contract, the switch will go ahead and then they'll charge you the penalty fees, so I would take the bother and call them to make sure I don't get charged.

Edited by Mml (Wed 22-Nov-17 17:45:19)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Nov-17 00:47:21
Print Post

If you don't provide notification in the 14 days, BT have the right to charge you the remainder. Call them, let them know you are migrating to Sky, and you are simply giving notification in the 14 day cooling off. That's all you need to do.
Standard User Anch123
(newbie) Sat 16-Dec-17 10:07:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi all, just doing same. I'm in 14 day period, service/speed is bad, devices not auto connecting, etc. Has zero problem with sky fibre previously. BT accepted cancellation this morning, then got email to say I will be charged £475 !!! Rang them back and they said as the cancellation period ends outside of the 14 days, I would have to pay. They said if I cease all services in next 6 days (remaining time in 14 day period), then I wouldn't have to pay.

So, that means complete switch off of landlines & broadband until new provider activates. I asked about paying for just the period without incurring charges, but no. So, I'm without line and Internet for a couple of weeks !! Is this right ? Can they do this ?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Dec-17 10:33:42
Print Post

[re: Anch123] [link to this post]

Have you tried to figure out what’s wrong? It could just be a bad router?

What stats are you getting? Have you split the 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Dec-17 11:21:16
Print Post

If you cancel everything I think you will get a Cease charge. I think the person you spoke to hasn't a clue. Plus you may have a line connection charge wherever you go afterwards. Maybe a broadband setup charge as well, depending on the ISP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-Dec-17 11:22:34)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 16-Dec-17 11:28:59
Print Post

That is ridiculous either you have a 14-day cancellation period or you don't.

I strongly suggest you email gavin.e.patterson@bt.com and or elc@bt.com and point out what a load of nonsense charging you for cancelling within the 14-day period is.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Dec-17 11:52:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

I strongly suggest you email gavin.e.patterson@bt.com and or elc@bt.com and point out what a load of nonsense charging you for cancelling within the 14-day period is.
It's obviously ridiculous because there is an Ofcom-stipulated minimum time for a migration away to complete. Giving notice is all that can be needed inside the 14 days.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Dec-17 13:58:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:

It's obviously ridiculous because there is an Ofcom-stipulated minimum time for a migration away to complete. Giving notice is all that can be needed inside the 14 days.

Is that 14 days from signing up to a new ISP or 14 days from when the new provider's service starts?
..... because there is an Ofcom-stipulated minimum time for a migration away to complete

Didn't know about that, thanks, so what is the minimum length time? smile

John Lewis Broadband

Edited by Apprentice (Sat 16-Dec-17 13:59:27)

Standard User Anch123
(newbie) Sat 16-Dec-17 14:00:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

On phone with them now. Fuming. Giving me the 14 day notice from order bull. The line was activated on day 14 !!!! How on earth is that consumer rights for the cooling period !!!!!!!!! There is now period, it's finished by time service starts. Now getting through to tech support....this will now take weeks for the usual bull to sort.
Standard User Anch123
(newbie) Sat 16-Dec-17 14:20:06
Print Post

Tech guy just told me that it SHOULD be 14 days after activation...i am within my rights ! Our problem is that the speed trickles once a day. Only way to resolve is to reset the router. Its then lightening fast again. Devices drop, sky tv connection dropped...all until you quickly reset the router. NOT doing that once a day. Had exactly same issue 2 years ago, though it would be different this time !! tech guy speaking to them now to convince them to cancel. It might be an immediate switch off...might be without BB for a week or 2 !!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Dec-17 17:30:24
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
Didn't know about that, thanks, so what is the minimum length time? smile
Normally a fortnight. Plus any intervening Bank Holidays. In Ofcom speak, 10 working days, where working days are Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.

GC 22.30 (rr) “Transfer Period” means a period of 10 Working Days before a Customer’s order can be activated;
GC 22.30 (uu) “Working Day” means the hours between 09.00 – 17.00 on Monday to Friday, with the exception of Bank Holidays;

Ofcom General Conditions.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Dec-17 18:26:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anch123:
Our problem is that the speed trickles once a day. Only way to resolve is to reset the router.
What router are you using? Is it the wireless that is dropping/freezing or the internet connection? What does the router log tell you when your system slows?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to