User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jan-18 03:35:57
Print Post

Re: Migrating from FTTC to FTTP

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by oldskool:
Surely they need to relax the planning laws if they want faster uptake.

Plus I suspect the Xbox updates were slow due to the severe loads on the MS side and nothing to do with your own connection.

Agreed, but then again M$ and Sony's network is hit and miss, you can see this when you do speed tests on them, I normally range from 100Mbps to 310Mbps on both consoles.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User SJHambly
(newbie) Tue 09-Jan-18 09:37:47
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
In reply to a post by oldskool:
Surely they need to relax the planning laws if they want faster uptake.

Plus I suspect the Xbox updates were slow due to the severe loads on the MS side and nothing to do with your own connection.

Agreed, but then again M$ and Sony's network is hit and miss, you can see this when you do speed tests on them, I normally range from 100Mbps to 310Mbps on both consoles.

Paul

I'd hope people with super/ultra-fast broadband were able to download at more than the 2.5mbps that we saw as an average over 3 days even during the the peak xmas loads...

There are now 3 properties in my close ducted to the premises and ready to go, so i'm hoping OR come and run the final fibre to our properties as a group of work soon...

The houses on the main road that are included in this mini FTTP rollout are fed over ground. A few of these houses are waiting for an existing pole to be replaced as (so they were told by the OR installer who came to connection them) it is deemed 10cm too short to run fibre over a shared driveway at a suitable height...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Jan-18 15:44:52
Print Post

[re: SJHambly] [link to this post]

Remember when you get access to full fibre you are removing the local bottle neck, if a popular service is busy you having a fast connection will not help...

i.e. if Xbox Live/PSN download servers are busy then they will likely be slow for lots of people.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jan-18 17:20:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Remember when you get access to full fibre you are removing the local bottle neck, if a popular service is busy you having a fast connection will not help...

i.e. if Xbox Live/PSN download servers are busy then they will likely be slow for lots of people.

I fully agree.

I see this a lot, but not on everything, Steam I see the full connection being used until my drive is at 100 active time which is when it stops downloading, Xbox Live and PSN are like I said hit and miss, might also be due to the speed of the drive in the consoles and the actual content being downloaded.

Also downloading loads of very small files also slows down the download due to once again the slow drive (open / create new file and save content then close) which takes time.

Paul

Standard User SJHambly
(newbie) Tue 09-Jan-18 17:43:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

That is understood.

The xbox thing was just an observation about how slow and how fed up I am with my lousy connection. Even today the xbox detailed network statistics test reports 2.31Mbps download speed, 0.21Mbps upload, and 90ms latency... That is on a wired connection too, not WiFi (house is fully cat6 wired).

Biggest change i'm looking forward to is being able to make VOIP calls (ok, I reserve 0.5Mbps of bandwidth for this today) / receive email / surf the web / whilst my son watches youtube. And upload large PDFs for print much more quickly...
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Wed 10-Jan-18 19:53:22
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Frequently see issues with the Sony network, normally pretty solid with M$

BT - 52/10
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jan-18 21:36:01
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brandscill:
Frequently see issues with the Sony network, normally pretty solid with M$

I see it on both PS4 and Xbox, but I have a 310Mbit connection so I will see more issues.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to