User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Mon 19-Feb-18 11:56:25
Print Post

Migration from Plusnet ADSL to Infinity 1

[link to this post]

Hello,
I managed a migration for my in-laws from Plusnet ADSL to BT Infinity 1 but their speed and latency is slower than their ADSL.
BT said they would have a minimum speed of 29mbs.

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test results wired with HUB WIFI disabled and using test socket:
Download speed (Mbps): 8.29
Upload speed (Mbps) 1.43
Ping Latency (ms) 22.29 (although this can be up to 35ms in other tests)

BT Home HUB stats:
data rate1.47 Mbps / 10.01 Mbps
noise margin 6.3dB / 7dB
Line attenuation 27 dB

BT kept fobbing them off, firstly saying that it would improve after 10 days and then saying they 'reset' the exchange end and that would fix it after 48 hours. Things did not improve and BT closed the ticket as fault fixed!

I've battled with BT over live chat and they have now said that they can see a a problem between the cabinet and their house and will send an engineer out.

My question is what could be the problem, and why is the Infinity slower than their ADSL, especially the latencey? I cant be there when the engineer is and my in-laws are elderly I am worried that the engineer will say its their own wiring (despite having no extension wiring).

Gary
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Feb-18 13:42:26
Print Post

Re: Migration from Plusnet ADSL to Infinity 1

[re: Gazzertron] [link to this post]

What was the Infinity 1 estimate at the point of sale and what does

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s... give for the A and B ranges, and the ADSL2+ speeds

Infinity is not always faster than ADSL, there are some lines where the distance issues mean ADSL2+ may be a safer bet - its a small number but they do exist.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Mon 19-Feb-18 21:29:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello Andrew,
when we signed up it said the minimum would be 29mbps
The output from the link you gave is:
VDSL Range A (Clean)
Available
--
--

VDSL Range B (Impacted)
Available

WBC ADSL 2+
Up to 12.5
--
7 to 17
Available
--
--

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M
Up to 12.5
Up to 1
7 to 17
Available
--
--

ADSL Max
Up to 8
--
7 to 8
Available

BT called my mother in-law today and said 'we have just reset the exchange end remotely so you wont need an engineer will you'? However I had installed a speed tester on her Laptop and primed her, so she ran it with BT on the phone, sub 8 meg.Then they tried the old, well it will get better in 48 hours.... Luckily she stuck to her guns and an engineer is still coming.

I wish I had persuaded them to stay with Plusnet, this is fast becoming a nightmare.

Gary

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Mon 19-Feb-18 22:57:41
Print Post

Wonder if they are still on ADSL?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Feb-18 23:10:21
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

With a 1.47 Mbps upload that won't be the case.

Time to see if the sync speeds improve at the test socket and if so it shows there is some phone wiring affecting the speeds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Tue 20-Feb-18 07:58:58
Print Post

Yes the modulation is G_993_2_ANNEX_B which is VDSL apparently. There is no extension wiring and I have tried the test socket which does not improve the speed. Fingers crossed that they do not try to cancel the engineer yet again, my in-laws maybe elderly but they have noticed that the broadband is worse!

Gary
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Feb-18 10:07:07
Print Post

Is it just the BTW Performance Test you have had them run.

It's notoriously unreliable on VDSL. My own results are only 20% of what I get on the TBB and other testers.

Can you get them to run a TBB test and post a link to the results, as we may be able to provde further advice.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Feb-18 13:46:44
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Give the stats from the HomeHub

BT Home HUB stats:
data rate1.47 Mbps / 10.01 Mbps
noise margin 6.3dB / 7dB
Line attenuation 27 dB

This is not a BT Wholesale test massive under reporting speeds.

Another possibility is that the checker estimates were wrong in the first place, which can happen.

Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Thu 22-Feb-18 14:34:41
Print Post

Yes BT have installed new cabinets about a mile from my in-laws property, I am not sure how long ago.
BT called again to confirm 'that they did not need to send an engineer' as they have recently reset the connection in the exchange (for the third time). It just goes on and on. My in-laws are standing firm but you can see how BT treat people of a certain age,

Gary
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Feb-18 15:56:58
Print Post

If a mile is correct that's 1.6km and thus the 29 Mbps minimum speed is looking suspect

If you can PM the postcode I'll look at the maps and cabinet locations

Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Sat 24-Feb-18 18:48:20
Print Post

Just an update:
On Friday I called BT to complain and whilst I was on the phone they booked OpenReach to come today between 3-6pm, I called just after 6 to ask why OpenReach didn’t turn up and BT said, there was no engineer booked. Ho ho ho I replied, next phantom OpenReach engineer visit ‘booked’ for between 1-6 Wednesday.

Gary
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Sun 25-Feb-18 14:57:57
Print Post

Hi Gary, I suggest you put ACR on your mobile phone - then BT could deny all they like... When I connect, "I" advise that I'm recording the call. I have used this successfully, when BT and others try to say that I never had such & such a conversation with them! Cheers, Les.
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Tue 27-Feb-18 08:30:38
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

Thanks Les, fingers crossed I wont need it, I've just had a confirmation text that they are sending an engineer tomorrow between 1&6PM. I live in hope smile

Gary
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Wed 28-Feb-18 20:11:24
Print Post

Update!
A friendly Openreach engineer turned up today, noted that my In Laws were the first to be on infinity in the cabinet, also said that 29mb was a bit over optimistic for the distance from the cabinet.
He put his tester on and saw packet loss, he said he would have to go up the pole to check it there but would have to call another engineer to be there with him, he asked for my number and said there was no point in me staying and he would update me later.
He called me a few hours later to say that, he had replaced the cable from the pole to the house but it was a rein problem and they had narrowed it down to 2 properties, this would be passed onto the rein team (2 members) and it could be a while before they could look at it. He also said that even if the rein team narrowed it down to a particular property they had no power to enter or if they found the source of the problem, to insist that it was replaced/powered down.
The engineer said that the best my in laws could hope for was 20meg download.

I still live in hope smile

Gary
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Wed 21-Mar-18 11:32:34
Print Post

Re: Migration from Plusnet Infinity 1- REIN problem!

Well the mother in law has reported that the Openreach REIN team sorted the problem this morning, they were not a liberty to say what house or what piece of equipment was causing the problem (though it was obvious as they were in and out of one property this morning).
Its been a long road this one, good job I was persistent. The in laws will be staying with BT forever now blush)

Gary
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Mar-18 12:31:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Gazzertron:
Its been a long road this one, good job I was persistent.

That's the sad thing with BT, you have to be persistent and keep on at them to get the issues resolved and it shouldn't have to be that way.

The hurdles and hoops I had to go through for 5 years to get Fibre was a joke, but glad I did.

The very good qualities of BT I think is if you are entitled for compo they are good and fair with that.

But glad you sorted everything out.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 303.03 Mbps (down), 31.71 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 21-Mar-18 12:58:06
Print Post

Speeds? (Sync and throughput).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Wed 21-Mar-18 13:11:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'll be going back this weekend to test and will report back in due course. The whole row of houses were all affected by the packet loss and re-syncs. The Openreach engineer did say that the Infinity estimate was wrong but they should get near 20meg download.

Gary
Standard User Gazzertron
(learned) Sat 24-Mar-18 14:04:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Router is now synced at 26.16 and 1.15!
The Think broadband speed tests are coming out at around 23meg down 1meg up,
The rein problem had a massive effect on their sync and packet loss. It would be nice to know what piece of equipment 3 houses down was causing the problem.

Gary
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Mar-18 14:58:09
Print Post

Sky boxes (old style) are a common cause, and as they were often connected to a landline, had an effective aerial to transmit by ....

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to